Watch Freeks banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A better movement, sapphire crystal, ceramic bezel (that isn't spungy), and a significantly better bracelet. the HEIMDALLR SKX. Believe me, I own the Seiko version, and this is a better watch

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
A better movement, sapphire crystal, ceramic bezel (that isn't spungy), and a significantly better bracelet. the HEIMDALLR SKX. Believe me, I own the Seiko version, and this is a better watch
I’m no longer surprised by any watch coming out of China. And honestly they should be better, particularly for the money. With Chinese labor costs being what they are, plus not having the R&D costs, being spotted iconic designs, etc.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Currently on the Heimdallr site you can purchase a 6105-8110 "homage", 200m WR, sapphire with AR coating, Swiss C3 Superluminova, ceramic bezel and NH35A movement for $149.

·
Super Moderator
10,333 Posts
That is saying something MW, but can see how it's possible with
everything you, and the guys are saying. (y) (y) ..Between the
whole lower costs thing for all the parts, and then HEIMDALLR
being able to study Seikos' SKX. Can totally understand how
they would be able to improve a lot. It's almost like figuring ways
to improve a recipe over the years sir. 🙂

Honestly, this new arrival looks delicious, or phenomenal I mean.
Just the dial is mouth watering ! 😄 BIG congrats here sir !!! Enjoy !

·
Registered
584 Posts
Currently on the Heimdallr site you can purchase a 6105-8110 "homage", 200m WR, sapphire with AR coating, Swiss C3 Superluminova, ceramic bezel and NH35A movement for $149.
Very tempting!!! I wonder how it would wear on a smaller wrist? Mine is 6.75". That's why I've been scouting the Seiko mini Turtle at 42.3mm.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I’m no longer surprised by any watch coming out of China. And honestly they should be better, particularly for the money. With Chinese labor costs being what they are, plus not having the R&D costs, being spotted iconic designs, etc.
You say they should be better, but they are already better than the Seiko original that sells for considerably more. If you want to spend three times as much in order you can fund a companies R&D I applaud your ethics. If you want to spend more so the staff can have more money, I also applaud your ethics. From a personal perspective, I just want a good watch at a good price. It's rare one sees a homage better than the original, but this is one of those rare instances.

I play golf and look at life like this. I use Ping golf clubs which are quite costly. If I could find something that was as good but based on the clubs I use, and is half the price, I would most certainly buy them. I have no interest in how much Ping spend developing them, I don't care where they are made, and I don't care what is printed on the shaft. Of course, I respect other who feel differently, it's their money, not mine.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very tempting!!! I wonder how it would wear on a smaller wrist? Mine is 6.75". That's why I've been scouting the Seiko mini Turtle at 42.3mm.
The SKX has a short lug to lug of 48mm. I have a 6 7/8" wrist and both the Heimdallr and Seiko fit very nicely

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
You say they should be better, but they are already better than the Seiko original that sells for considerably more. If you want to spend three times as much in order you can fund a companies R&D I applaud your ethics. If you want to spend more so the staff can have more money, I also applaud your ethics. From a personal perspective, I just want a good watch at a good price. It's rare one sees a homage better than the original, but this is one of those rare instances.

I play golf and look at life like this. I use Ping golf clubs which are quite costly. If I could find something that was as good but based on the clubs I use, and is half the price, I would most certainly buy them. I have no interest in how much Ping spend developing them, I don't care where they are made, and I don't care what is printed on the shaft. Of course, I respect other who feel differently, it's their money, not mine.
I think there’s a misunderstanding - I’m in agreement. I’m pointing out they have some great cost advantages and can improve on existing proven designs so they should be better than the original Seiko models. I own a beautiful Heimdallr Tuna can that looks to have set me back a grand or more. It was $189.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I am first to agree the Chinese have come a long ways when it comes to watch making. I was hesitant to admit that until I recently received my San Martin 62 MAS.......great quality at a reasonable price!! With that said, I have been a loyal fan of Seiko dive watches (preferably the ones made in Japan) for many years.

Seiko has worked hard to build a brand that is legendary and one that commands a loyal following. They make a fantastic product insomuch that everyone wants to replicate it. Although I will likely purchase more Seiko replicas like my San Martin 62 MAS, they will never replace watches like my beloved, trusty, reliable, wonderful SKX009J1. (y)

Reactions: Reflex

·
Registered
584 Posts
The SKX has a short lug to lug of 48mm. I have a 6 7/8" wrist and both the Heimdallr and Seiko fit very nicely
Thanks but I already have an SKX. I was curious about the fit of the 6105-8110 homage from Heimdallr.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Why can't they just make their own freaking watch ??? No respect for that brand. Cause as was brought up earlier, the reason they can give you all those features for so cheap is because they have no R&D department or any imagination whatsoever...

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Why can't they just make their own freaking watch ??? No respect for that brand. Cause as was brought up earlier, the reason they can give you all those features for so cheap is because they have no R&D department or any imagination whatsoever...
I get your point, but that's the way of the world. Whether it be shoes, clothes. or jewellery, a large percentage of what we wear and what we buy is a homage to something else. Perhaps if some manufactures charged a reasonable amount for their product they wouldn't be copied.

·
Registered
4,881 Posts

I play Pings myself, the first set I bought was made in Arizona, the other set I bought about 5 years ago the heads are made in China :cry:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Doesn't make it acceptable
It's the biggest bone of contention in the watch collecting world. Some people hate homage watches, and others see it as a way of owning a watch they like but can't afford. I believe there is plenty of room for homage watches. What we tend to forget is that just about every major and well known watch company has their version of the Submariner, and most have their version of the Omega Moon watch. However, when a Chinese based company makes a version it is not seen as acceptable. Of course, the vast majority of the time a homage is inferior to the watch it is based on, but when a company such as San Martin makes their version of an SKX (for example) it is a better timepiece at a fraction of the price.

·
Registered
4,881 Posts
That surprises me, but I am sure they are just as good
not so good when you consider they come from a ruthless Communist country that knowingly unleashed the pandemic on the world!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
not so good when you consider they come from a ruthless Communist country that knowingly unleashed the pandemic on the world!
Watches are like sport, they don't mix with politics. If we all thought like that we wouldn't be driving BMW's because of the Germans, and Fiats because of the Romans. In fact, the Japanese were pretty horrible themselves at one time, and still ruthlessly slaughter whales. I buy watches for what they are, not where they come from.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts