Watch Freeks banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
5,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hi all my fellow Watch Freeks....

I got a call late last night from my doctor, and they found some not so good stuff in my blood tests. I had a severe allergic reation to an antibiotic I was taking for strep throat. Well...little did I know I had picked up EBV....Epstein - Barr Virus...better known as Mono...from one of the schools. They still don't know why the rash I got from the reation hasn't gone away...so Thursday....I get to go down to Baylor College of Medicine and get presented to several hundred doctors as a case. My doctor is going to present my case in hopes that one of the doctors at this medical symposium has seen it before and knows how to treat me.

The Mono makes sense of my other symptoms I am having....very tired all the time...swollen glands...the strep throat that took a month to go away...and other symptoms I have. My doctors are worried because I had a severely bruised spleen when I played football...and Mono can affect it and make it swell up and can even rupture. I also have had a heart attack...although I did have an angiogram in October that showed all my arteries and such were nice and clear. They are afriad it could weaken my heart.

Would just appreciate so good thoughts and prayers my way. I have not been feeling very good for over a month now...and Mono takes months and months to get over....and that means I can't work until then....since Mono is very contagious and they had to notify the school district I was working at that I got Mono at one of their schools.

Thanks guys....I would really appreciate the prayers and good thoughts!!

Edited Saturday 1-23

I also decided to include one of the doctors other concerns....I also have RA...and I take meds to weaken my immune system to keep my body from attacking my joints. So having Mono is going to be no fun...since I have to stop my RA shots....due to have them this coming Friday....and take meds to beef up my immune system...which means RA flare ups...which are extremely painful. So I have a long journey ahead of me to get well.

Wednesday Jan 27....

Got more news from the Dermatologist, he wants to run more test, but the biopsy showed the rash is Lupus. So now I have a barrage of test he needs to run to make sure. Plus...my cardiologist and Rhuematory Arthritis docs will need to know, along with my regualar orthopedic docs. My wife is kinda scared, because it can lead to other complications...including heart problems.

Edited Tuesday Feb 2....

Called doctor back to see if they had gotten my test results back. Nurse wouldn't comment because the doctor wanted to talk to me himself....not a good sign. She wanted to make sure I had a doctors appointment with my regular doctor sometime soon..which I do..Feb 8th. She said that was good and they would forward the test results to him.

What was strange was the nurse that did my tests asked me if I had Lupus...her sister has it and although I had a lot more leasions than her sister gets, she recognized them. Makes you wonder why the doctors couldn't figure it out earlier????

Edited Feb 4th 8:50pm

Doctor just called me....I had been to the VA CLinic where almost 200 Doctors and Medical Students from the Houston area got to poke and prod me for over an hour. All the Doctors seemed to think the leasions were caused by a drug interaction with the EBV....in other words...Mononucleosis can cause strange drug reactions.Also it seems the Mono is still active...that seems to be the consensus why the leasions have not gone away yet. The leasions on the mouth are a different infection....so another biopsy is in order..plus they found a leasion on my back that doesn't fit with the other ones...so it needs to be biospied. They all felt that Mono was the main cause...so I just need to rest...take my steriods for the leasions and just wait for the Mono to runs it's course. All the blood test done there came back negative for Lupus. SO some good news..finally!!!

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
imported post

Larry,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having such horrible health problems. You will definitely be in my prayers. I hope you get to feeling better very soon. If you need anything PM me,thanks.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
imported post

Wow, i dont know you very well as i havnt been here long but of course, i really hope that everything turns out ok, my biggest sympathy goes out to you dude, Im sure EVERYBODY and i mean everybody on this site wishes you the best and we all really hope that everything sorts itself out. We are all here for you, ANYTIME!!

I think this is your 500th post aswell? you probably dont care right now, but congratulations :)

·
Long Time Member
8,308 Posts
imported post

Keep thinking positive thoughts.

Everything will turn out fine.

My thoughts are with you.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

I hope you feel better and they figure out what is making you sick as quickly as possible. Will be thinking about you...

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
imported post

Keep a positive attitude. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Wishing you a speeding recovery...

·
Registered
27 Posts
imported post

Have not communicated with you in a while..ever since you were kind enough to offer my son(stationed at Ft Bliss) some guidance as to El Paso, TX decent family spots to visit. Anyway, sorry to hear about your recent medical situation. Wishing you the best possible results at Baylor College of Medicine and a rapid and speedy recovery.

Cannot afford to have a fellow Stuhrling Original timepiece admirer out of action.

Please keep us posted on your progress

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
imported post

Brother Larry, I'm REAL sorry to hear of your medical [rpblems. I had mono once during the summer! I missed out on the entire summer and that sucked so i know what you're going thru. You also have a few things that can complicate things so I'm sending you some serious Karma and real good thoughts! Good luck my friend and please take care of yourself!!

·
Registered
514 Posts
imported post

. . . . Larry, I am so very sorry to hear this. I do sincerely hope that the doctors can put a finger on it for you and help with a speedy recovery.

I had a rough couple of years just past myself with surgeries and heart attacks . . . . I'll think of you often, and hope you are well . . . Randy.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.