Watch Freeks banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it possible for solar flares to damage watches since theyve been known to damage other things with circuitry in them?

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
They stay in the upper atmosphere, so no, you need not worry, unless your an astronaut in space at the time of high activity.

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,885 Posts
I suppose a large enough solar flare could cause an EMP surge large enough to fry electronics, thereby making mechanicals very handy.

If truth be known, Solar activity, or lack thereof, has much more to do with Global Warming/Climate Change then anything we inconsiquential human beings can do!

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
If truth be known, Solar activity, or lack thereof, has much more to do with Global Warming/Climate Change then anything we inconsiquential human beings can do!
So it wasn't Stone-Age Man's insatiable appetite for fossil fuels and the domestication of gas-passing prehistoric beef cattle that caused the global warming that melted the ice sheet that once covered the place that I now call home??????

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
:jaw:

·
Registered
375 Posts
So it wasn't Stone-Age Man's insatiable appetite for fossil fuels and the domestication of gas-passing prehistoric beef cattle that caused the global warming that melted the ice sheet that once covered the place that I now call home??????

Hahaha. VOLCANOS did it from what I read They are capable of releasing incredible amounts of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. Snowball earth was so white and so cold that literally reflected all of the heat radiation from the sun. It could've stayed that way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,885 Posts
Is this your researched conclusion as a qualified, professional, experienced climatologist?
Question is, is fossil fuels going make us all freeze to death like they claimed in the 70's, or is global warming going to melt all the polar caps and put Florida underwater.

Since none of that has panned out and the data and computer models they have used have "cooked books", it has now morphed into "Climate Change", where any change can be conveniently attributed to mankind.

The Founder of the Weather Channel, John Coleman, said it best "Global Warming" is a hoax"

·
Registered
527 Posts
Question is, is fossil fuels going make us all freeze to death like they claimed in the 70's, or is global warming going to melt all the polar caps and put Florida underwater.

Since none of that has panned out and the data and computer models they have used have "cooked books", it has now morphed into "Climate Change", where any change can be conveniently attributed to mankind.

The Founder of the Weather Channel, John Coleman, said it best "Global Warming" is a hoax"
No, that's not the question. Exxon scientists were predicting global warming and the consequent catastrophic results as far back as the 70s (they didn't make their research public, of course). This is not the place for an in-depth discussion of the science of AGW, and if you had just said "my unscientific opinion is..." I would have let it slide, but, since you said it is the "truth"...

--- video removed -- keep politics out of conversations.

·
6,396 Posts
I'd do what I always do when confronted with questions like yours. Don't ask them on a forum populated with enthusiastic but unqualified people but search the 'Net :D Try www.nasa.gov. Very enlightening.

·
Registered
527 Posts
--- video removed -- keep politics out of conversations.
Sorry, wasn't sure if that would be recognised for its scientific content or its satire, or both.

The take home points:

• 2014 was the hottest year on record
  • Arctic land ice is melting at an alarming rate
  • The correlation between rising CO2 and global temperatures, since the commencement of the industrial age, is extremely strong and as far as we know the rate of warming is unprecedented.
  • Of 13,000+ peer reviewed papers on climate change authored since 1991, approximately 25 papers reject global warming.

·
6,396 Posts
Reactions: jason_recliner

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
Sorry, wasn't sure if that would be recognised for its scientific content or its satire, or both.

The take home points:

• 2014 was the hottest year on record
  • Arctic land ice is melting at an alarming rate
  • The correlation between rising CO2 and global temperatures, since the commencement of the industrial age, is extremely strong and as far as we know the rate of warming is unprecedented.
  • Of 13,000+ peer reviewed papers on climate change authored since 1991, approximately 25 papers reject global warming.
Here you go, 2015

A new NASA study says that an increase in Antarctic snow accumulation that began 10,000 years ago is currently adding enough ice to the continent to outweigh the increased losses from its thinning glaciers.

It's all about mother mature, not us arrogant people

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,885 Posts
Here you go, 2015

A new NASA study says that an increase in Antarctic snow accumulation that began 10,000 years ago is currently adding enough ice to the continent to outweigh the increased losses from its thinning glaciers.

It's all about mother mature, not us arrogant people
Bingo!

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,885 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts