Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

What makes one watch better than another...Im not picking a "better" watch here or anything like that. Just some random thoughts that run through my crazy head.

Rolex Vs G-Shock. Mom has a Rolex which has got to be around 30 years old...still works and she still wears it every single day. My brother has a Rolex that is getting up there in years. I have my G-Shocks which I consider good. They will keep time as well or better than most Rolex watches...especially the Gs with the Wave Ceptor. And take a G-Shock (as was actually done by a G collector) and toss it off a 30 story building on to concrete and it will most likely be fine. Take a Rolex and do that, well good luck finding all the pieces. Does that make a G better than a Rolex...doubtful you will find anybody that will support that.

Invicta vs. TAG and Rolex and Breitling. My older Invicta Pro Divers have Miyota movements, folded end links and mineral crystals. Dads Breitling has solid end links, but my old TAG and moms OLD Rolex (along with my Pro Divers) have the dreaded folded end links...althoug over all these many years it has NEVER been an issue on my TAG or moms Rolex...so do solid links really mean better? As for crystal material...I have not really had a problem with scratching any of them and a few of mine have been worn hard.

I bet anything that if the case backs were removed from the Rolex and Breitling that the movement would be FAR prettier than the not-so-pretty Miyota movement...but like the others, the Miyota is a proven reliable and quality movement.

So...aside from the "mine is better because I like it" or "its better because it costs more".

What in your opinion makes a watch "better"??

·
Administrator
24,243 Posts
imported post

IMHO you need to consider reliability and serviceability if you are looking to make a 'better than' claim. As you stated both levels are reliable, but are they both equally serviceable? I don't own either so I can't say for sure. My guess is that there are more places servicing the high end brands. The service might be expensive and in some cases cost more than a new lower end watch, but obtainable. Also, I think service includes parts such as straps or bracelets or even links.

After that the 'better' moniker falls back to preference and price arguments. They have both be over done IMHO.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Im with you, I dont know about the serviceability of all the different levels...I do know that with so many watches of all price ranges that there are plenty of people who wear them for years on end with no service at all...maybe a battery for quartz.

For the sake of argument...you could say your Rolex (if you have one) is better than my G-Shock because chances are if we both lived long enough your Rolex would probably far outlast the G...On the other hand I could say, lets drag both watches behind a car and see which one still works...of course in all reality, Rolex is plenty durable and there is no practical purpose for the destruction test.

As I said, I am not trying to say one is better than another...I just think it is extremely difficult to put in black and white why one is better than another and would like to hear others opinions.

Spaceview wrote:
IMHO you need to consider reliability and serviceability if you are looking to make a 'better than' claim. As you stated both levels are reliable, but are they both equally serviceable? I don't own either so I can't say for sure. My guess is that there are more places servicing the high end brands. The service might be expensive and in some cases cost more than a new lower end watch, but obtainable. Also, I think service includes parts such as straps or bracelets or even links.

After that the 'better' moniker falls back to preference and price arguments. They have both be over done IMHO.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
imported post

Any discussion of "better" simply comes down to who is the better debater. Or who has more friends on a particular board to belittle those in the minority, LOL

Any company that manages to stay in business obviously fills some sort of need or no one would continue buy them.

The style of marketing has created a large group of disenchanted Invicta customers. If you know what you're getting, they're fine. If you think they are Panerais or Breitlings, then you'll eventually "come out from under the ether" as we used to say in the door to door encyclopedia business...

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
imported post

In my humble opinion, and I am sorry if I step on anyone, I am answering right after reading the OP only.

I would prefer a watch that is first off, built with high quality ultra precision components preferably made in the same shop as the assembler's, or at least in the same town or Country.

I look at this like the Intel/Windows handshake principle, and I am open to debate about this, but it has been my experience to see Intel based computers run Windows better than AMD based computers. Unofficially Micro Soft makes Windows to run on the Intel chip-set specifically, ie. Windows7/Intel CoreI7, and Intel designs it's chip-sets to be optimized with Windows. So, you always stick to what is made to work together.

When a watch is manufactured mechanically, the band and external embellishments can be exempt from this, all in the same shop, town or Country, I feel it is more likely to be a more precise and better built machine. I have no science behind my feelings, just my feelings.

What scares me most on a watch and makes me feel junk or cheap is "Made From XXX Components" or "XXX Components". Then you only have reference to where some of the parts are from. Assembled in how many stages, in how many shops, at how many locations? Built from standardized, mass produced parts and components assembled at multiple locations worldwide.

When I see Japan Movement on a Seiko or Citizen I think the same quality and precision as when I see Swiss Made on like SWI, SW, Invicta, etc.these quality level manufacturers.

I don't thinkthese previously mentioned manufacturersreally compare to the higher end manufacturers, Omega, Rolex, Breitling just to name 3.

These high end Swiss manufacturers, some possible 200 or so,in my opinion build the most precise mechanical movements, In House, for their own cases. There has to be far less potential for errors and defects. I suppose it only makes total sense, this degree of quality is why you have to pay for it.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

watchcollector1968 wrote:
What makes one watch better than another...Im not picking a "better" watch here or anything like that. Just some random thoughts that run through my crazy head.

Rolex Vs G-Shock. Mom has a Rolex which has got to be around 30 years old...still works and she still wears it every single day. My brother has a Rolex that is getting up there in years. I have my G-Shocks which I consider good. They will keep time as well or better than most Rolex watches...especially the Gs with the Wave Ceptor. And take a G-Shock (as was actually done by a G collector) and toss it off a 30 story building on to concrete and it will most likely be fine. Take a Rolex and do that, well good luck finding all the pieces. Does that make a G better than a Rolex...doubtful you will find anybody that will support that.

Invicta vs. TAG and Rolex and Breitling. My older Invicta Pro Divers have Miyota movements, folded end links and mineral crystals. Dads Breitling has solid end links, but my old TAG and moms OLD Rolex (along with my Pro Divers) have the dreaded folded end links...althoug over all these many years it has NEVER been an issue on my TAG or moms Rolex...so do solid links really mean better? As for crystal material...I have not really had a problem with scratching any of them and a few of mine have been worn hard.

I bet anything that if the case backs were removed from the Rolex and Breitling that the movement would be FAR prettier than the not-so-pretty Miyota movement...but like the others, the Miyota is a proven reliable and quality movement.

So...aside from the "mine is better because I like it" or "its better because it costs more".

What in your opinion makes a watch "better"??
This is not an "Invicta" question in my opinion, so hopefully we can remove them from the discussion if possible. this applies to any one watch compared to another watch.

In my humble opinion any or all of the following factors/things COULD make one watch better then another.

1) better materials. seems pretty obvious. better metal used, better crystal material, better lum chemicals, better clasps, etc etc etc. If one is better then another it is probably better.

2) better movement used. Now this means nothing to me, but if you did care about this and a movement is better then another and keeps better time, or allows for more complications, or is just better made -then it is probably better.

3) Better customer service available for the customer. Does one company have a better CS system in place to address issues

4) Better "extras" - by extras I mean additional straps, tools, cases, etc etc. Does one watch come with more "extras" which raises the value.

5) better long term value based on the past, current, and future market value of a watch. For example a Rolex POTENTIALLY has a better long term value in the watch market for resale, then say a GShock. So if you care about the value of a watch now and in the future, then the one with the greater current and long term value will be better for you.

6) Finally, and this is the hardest one to calculate because it is so subjective from person to person - which watch appeals TO YOU more then another. Because regardless of the 5 other items I mentioned above, if you just hate a watch then it is NOT BETTER then another watch you do like.

James

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

No, it is not an Invicta discussion...but it is listed in my post as I am simply using brands that I either own or have access to and am able to examine.

Using Invicta again...the Pro Diver originals with the Miyota movement can be had for under 70 bucks. Now I am sure that Breitling, Rolex and so on make a better watch...but IMO it is very difficult to give concrete reasons why...again IMO the Pro Diver is a great watch, no matter how you slice it...very good materials, good movement and proven to be a solid watch.

Anyways, use whatever brands you can...or no brands at all...I was just trying to give a frame of reference that I could speak about.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
imported post

Honestly, I feel that most of our decisions surrounding the question "What makes one watch better than another?" is primarily based in passion, and less on facts. How many instances have you seen where "despite all evidence", there will be those who "stick to their guns" and remain passionate about their "brand(s)/models of choice" and that's where it ends (except for the inevitable name calling and bashing that tends to come from these discussions). :(

With all that said . . . :)

I really think it comes down to what an individual is willing to tolerate, that defines which is better for us. :)

Let me explain . . .

If all people received perfect watches all of the time, then this issue is moot! If everyone is getting a quality timepiece for their $$$, then we're all happy. For me, it comes with dissatisfaction of a brand that gets us all stirred up and begins the "what if . . . " quest. The facts behind whether a Rolex is better than a Timex or vice versa doesn't mean as much when everyone is running around with a watch they love, on their wrist.

I think that people see prices, and immediately determine if something is "worth" that cost in their mind. If it's not, then there most likely won't be anything positive coming out of that person's mouth. Even if it's a comment which simply states "I won't pay that . . . it's not worth it!" Once I hear those words, I know that it's fruitless to try and explain/reason what might help contribute to the price of the watch.

For many people, IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT LOOKS, once you get a watch over a grand! It's about the craftsmanship and quality of materials/movement that typically influences the price (amongst a number of things). If someone is not willing to look at this, then it's a one-sides discussion!

So what really makes one better than the other????

I could list 50 reasons, but I don't think it matters to anyone, but me. :)

For me, it's about a quality (Swiss) mechanical/automatic movement encased in a nice design (and size) that fits my budget, is accurate, is reliable, and won't plummet in value. :)

There are many brands that fit these criteria, and I have been pleased with most.

All my reference of "inexpensive", "cheap", "expensive", etc. are based on the fact that I am looking for a Swiss Made mechanical automatic as my starting point.

If my goal is to get a nice daily wear (beater) type of a watch, then my whole criteria changes, and something that costs $100 may be the best purchase, and may actually hold more value than my higher-end pieces. In this instance, buying a quartz watch may just be what I need.

Again, I think it goes back to acknowledging our expectations, biases, and desires, then finding what brand(s) will meet those expectations. When a brand "let's us down", then I think we begin a process of comparing . . . "Which is better?".

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Excellent answer...puts into words what I have diffculty trying to say...

CurrentTime wrote:
Honestly, I feel that most of our decisions surrounding the question "What makes one watch better than another?" is primarily based in passion, and less on facts. How many instances have you seen where "despite all evidence", there will be those who "stick to their guns" and remain passionate about their "brand(s)/models of choice" and that's where it ends (except for the inevitable name calling and bashing that tends to come from these discussions). :(

With all that said . . . :)

I really think it comes down to what an individual is willing to tolerate, that defines which is better for us. :)

Let me explain . . .

If all people received perfect watches all of the time, then this issue is moot! If everyone is getting a quality timepiece for their $$$, then we're all happy. For me, it comes with dissatisfaction of a brand that gets us all stirred up and begins the "what if . . . " quest. The facts behind whether a Rolex is better than a Timex or vice versa doesn't mean as much when everyone is running around with a watch they love, on their wrist.

I think that people see prices, and immediately determine if something is "worth" that cost in their mind. If it's not, then there most likely won't be anything positive coming out of that person's mouth. Even if it's a comment which simply states "I won't pay that . . . it's not worth it!" Once I hear those words, I know that it's fruitless to try and explain/reason what might help contribute to the price of the watch.

For many people, IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT LOOKS, once you get a watch over a grand! It's about the craftsmanship and quality of materials/movement that typically influences the price (amongst a number of things). If someone is not willing to look at this, then it's a one-sides discussion!

So what really makes one better than the other????

I could list 50 reasons, but I don't think it matters to anyone, but me. :)

For me, it's about a quality (Swiss) mechanical/automatic movement encased in a nice design (and size) that fits my budget, is accurate, is reliable, and won't plummet in value. :)

There are many brands that fit these criteria, and I have been pleased with most.

All my reference of "inexpensive", "cheap", "expensive", etc. are based on the fact that I am looking for a Swiss Made mechanical automatic as my starting point.

If my goal is to get a nice daily wear (beater) type of a watch, then my whole criteria changes, and something that costs $100 may be the best purchase, and may actually hold more value than my higher-end pieces. In this instance, buying a quartz watch may just be what I need.

Again, I think it goes back to acknowledging our expectations, biases, and desires, then finding what brand(s) will meet those expectations. When a brand "let's us down", then I think we begin a process of comparing . . . "Which is better?".

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
imported post

CurrentTime wrote:
...a Swiss Made mechanical automatic as my starting point...
I agree with you, this is exactly where I think you start with a high standards of quality to begin with and so even the low end level of these watches are hi in quality.

·
Registered
514 Posts
imported post

. . . . I agree with Tera-Ram that the less outsourcing the better. If outsourcing is used, the companies that have developed and maintained long standing relationships with thier vendors and suppliers produce and sell a more consistant quality product. To name names, the big "I" seems to be more concerned with where they can source the best deal from at the moment. They have whatI refer to as the "What will you do for me today?" mentality. Most major brands rely on thier long term partners and develop a "What can WE do today?" relationship. The predicdable product quality is a direct result of the management philosphy towards thier own business model.

All that rattle being said, I think that any company that has produced the same product consistently for years making improvements overtime, and diligently researching thier market before making broad changes or releasing new models will surpass the fashion brand mentality of throwing as much sh!t at the wall as possible, hoping some will stick.

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

I wont touch this topic, but I will say this.

When Someone call show me in Dollars how a Breitling SA cost more then $4000.00 then my Renato T-Rex to MFG then I will go buy one tomorrow!!!

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
imported post

No you wouldn't and you know it! :%

RipitRon wrote:

When Someone call show me in Dollars how a Breitling SA cost more then $4000.00 then my Renato T-Rex to MFG then I will go buy one tomorrow!!!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
imported post

Oh hell Yes there Randyswagon!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
imported post

RipitRon wrote:

Um, the employees get paid more? So that of course makes the watch cost more, duh. Oh I might be having a blond moment here! Sorry.

·
Registered
514 Posts
imported post

RipitRon wrote:

. . . Buddy, just think about what goes into the systems you design and sell compared to the units your competitors sell.

Then, get in the car and head on over to your local AD, there may be one at Clackamas . . . .

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Well...its simple. Here is how: Take the price of your Renato and add 4 grand in US dollars and thats how it is 4 grand more!!!

Enjoy your new Breitling, looking forward to pics!!! :c

RipitRon wrote:

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

randyswagon wrote:
RipitRon wrote:

. . . Buddy, just think about what goes into the systems you design and sell compared to the units your competitors sell.

Then, get in the car and head on over to your local AD, there may be one at Clackamas . . . .
My point exactly, there truly isnt brother, at the end of the day all fluff in the world doesnt make for a better system. Do I design more fluff in them, sure but theirs produces the same quality parts a mine, just at a lower cost. This is why our company has had too switch gears, because the end user has realized that our product although has a bit more flair too it, really isnt worth the money.

As much as I dont want to admit it, my company is the breitling of the Industry and we are getting our ass handed too us, because the Invicta's of the world are stmping a mudhole in our a$$ every day!!!!

And too be honest with you, I hate the fact we where the breitling, becuase it is damn hard too make a non fool a fool!!!

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

RipitRon wrote:
randyswagon wrote:
RipitRon wrote:

My point exactly, there truly isnt brother, at the end of the day all fluff in the world doesnt make for a better system. Do I design more fluff in them, sure but theirs produces the same quality parts a mine, just at a lower cost. This is why our company has had too switch gears, because the end user has realized that our product although has a bit more flair too it, really isnt worth the money.

As much as I dont want to admit it, my company is the breitling of the Industry and we are getting our ass handed too us, because the Invicta's of the world are stmping a mudhole in our a$$ every day!!!!

And too be honest with you, I hate the fact we where the breitling, becuase it is damn hard too make a non fool a fool!!!
very interesting an$logy Ron.

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

CurrentTime wrote:
No you wouldn't and you know it! :%

RipitRon wrote:

You got a point, I will never own one ever again!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts