Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I think I'm going to snag one (or at least try). Larry stated that there would be at least 25 of each (50 total) available for the debut. In total, there will be 100 of each execution made. However, not all of them are earmarked for ShopNBC

A 45mm, 19-Jewel, manual-wind, Caliber ST-93311 mechanical Tourbillon (w/sapphire crystals) for "well under $1K", according to Jim.

Hell, yeah! :c



Here are the original renderings from Larry Magen and Stuhrling . . .


 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25,154 Posts
imported post

I love the silver one, and would like to see it on a bracelet version also, if that will ever actually exist.

I would be interested someday, especially if the price ever comes down in the future.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,615 Posts
imported post

i dont know why all the huff over torby's - i never did like the look - sorry JMHO

never was into partial skelly's or open heart type styles

i prefer full skelly's and at that not much
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25,154 Posts
imported post

WATCHURSELF wrote:
i dont know why all the huff over torby's - i never did like the look - sorry JMHO

never was into partial skelly's or open heart type styles

i prefer full skelly's and at that not much
I also never liked a skeleton watch. Just not for me. but this one does not have that typical "skeleton" look like many others do and has a lot of neat features that appeal to me. I wish it was a little larger and I wish it was on a bracelet, but this might be the only Tourbillon I will be able to afford.

This is the type of watch to me that gets passed down to my son and so on.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,638 Posts
imported post

I have no problem with an Asian tourbillion at all, but the watch does nothing for me, so I wouldnt own it if you gave it too me so too speak.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,615 Posts
imported post



it is nice looking - abit small- but i dont like the word TORBILLION on the dial -kinda cheesy if you ask me -like the renato a few weeks back with the Ltd Ed on the bezel -it kinda takes something away from it by ANNOUNCING it

i'd rather pick up a nice looking 7750 on the deal sites for well under $1,000

or even another Stuhrling piece for that matter -they have ALOT of nice looking pieces

TVDinner wrote:
WATCHURSELF wrote:
i dont know why all the huff over torby's - i never did like the look - sorry JMHO

never was into partial skelly's or open heart type styles

i prefer full skelly's and at that not much
I also never liked a skeleton watch. Just not for me. but this one does not have that typical "skeleton" look like many others do and has a lot of neat features that appeal to me. I wish it was a little larger and I wish it was on a bracelet, but this might be the only Tourbillon I will be able to afford.

This is the type of watch to me that gets passed down to my son and so on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

For me, this watch isn't about looks, it's about the mechanics, inside. Most know me to be more interested in the movement, than the watch. Kinda like buying a car for me . . . what under the hood IS important. :)

I can understand your point, and generally, I'm not into the skeletonized watches and definitely not into the "open-heart" design. Mostly, I don't care for either of these aspects because they came as an off-shoot of the tourbillon design. Companies that couldn't afford a tourbillon in their watches began and using the "open-heart" designs and extreme skeletonization to make themselves look like a tourbillon.

However, this watch is ALL about the movement . . . yes, looks are important for me, but in this particular case, it's ALL about the movement. I am fine with how this watch looks, even though it has elements (or lacks elements) that would normally be crucial for me in order to buy the watch.

Generally speaking . . . the "open-heart" on this watch is necessary and functional and is not cosmetic like on most other designs. Yes, the cage could be covered over with a full dial, but that kinda defeats showing off the most important part of a tourbillon watch . . . the cage. :)

If I get this watch, it would be to get the movement! :c


[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/_iED17JAQ24&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]


[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/pMQBUn5Sc-0&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]






WATCHURSELF wrote:
i dont know why all the huff over torby's - i never did like the look - sorry JMHO

never was into partial skelly's or open heart type styles

i prefer full skelly's and at that not much
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25,154 Posts
imported post

WATCHURSELF wrote:
it is nice looking - abit small- but i dont like the word TORBILLION on the dial -kinda cheesy if you ask me -like the renato a few weeks back with the Ltd Ed on the bezel -it kinda takes something away from it by ANNOUNCING it
I actually did not see that and will have to take a better look at that when it is shown on air or somewhere.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,615 Posts
imported post

look at the pic posted -its at the 3 o'clock position -unfortunate mistake i think kinda takes away from it IMO



TVDinner wrote:
WATCHURSELF wrote:
it is nice looking - abit small- but i dont like the word TORBILLION on the dial -kinda cheesy if you ask me -like the renato a few weeks back with the Ltd Ed on the bezel -it kinda takes something away from it by ANNOUNCING it
I actually did not see that and will have to take a better look at that when it is shown on air or somewhere.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25,154 Posts
imported post

No, I meant I had not noticed that before until you said something and now I will have to take a harder look at the watch in general when it is officially shown.
I agree that I do not like having that word printed there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,615 Posts
imported post

yeah -when the renato diver came along -i really liked it alot and considered getting it until someone in a forum mentioned it and i took another look - it killed it for me -i was really upset -so now i take a good hard look at the watches and various diff pic sources if possible -to make sure i dont have to send it back if ordered



TVDinner wrote:
No, I meant I had not noticed that before until you said something and now I will have to take a harder look at the watch in general when it is officially shown.
I agree that I do not like having that word printed there.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
24,243 Posts
imported post

I'll pass on this one. Not singing to me and I'm not a big fan of Stuhrling.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25,154 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
466 Posts
imported post

No problem. This really is a beautiful piece, guys. One of my favorites by far! I've only ever got to see pictures of the three other tourbillons that Stuhrling released, and now I wonder if I even get to hold one before the show. Maybe I might even get to try it on! Too bad I wouldn't be able to keep it for myself :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
imported post

Love it - have always wanted a tourby and this one will be just the ticket. Will definitely be snagging one . . . :c
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
466 Posts
imported post

Glad to see so much enthusiasm. You'd better be fast, because this is a Limited Edition piece! I just hope there won't be any riots over it. You know what I'm looking forward to the most? The great pictures you'll be sending in once you get it in the mail!

On a side note, Larry and I finished the Limited Edition Certificates for both executions of the tourbillon today. Yup, we're getting ready!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,185 Posts
imported post

Just to clarify, it is a Tourbillon, not Torby or Torbillon. This is a unique and amazing watch movement in a world of battery operated quartz and untold amount of automatic movement variation watches. It may not appeal to everyone, isn't meant to. However, it should appeal to alot of collecters because it is a totally DIFFERENT movement, and usually alot more expensive then the one to be presented. I think you will have to wait until Jim actually has it on air to see what the true selling price will be. I think it will be alot lower than most think and only 100 of each version being made. Bottom line for me is - if I can afford it, I would buy it just to have the movement in my collection.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top