Watch Freeks banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,155 Posts
imported post

Usually not, since it almost always comes back to bite you down the line in following seasons. Eventually the other guy is good and they will remember your poor sportsmanship.

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
imported post

I disagree. I think it is fine at the professional level. I don't think you ever call off the dogs at the pro level. I've seen many a comeback.

I take issue with it at the HS level. If the coach runs up the score at that level it usually means he is not putting in his second or third team when the game is won. I think at the HS level the coach should let the second team get some game time under these circumstances.

At the college level running up the score can be a product of the polls. The polls like it when a top 20 team beats a patsy by 50 points. They penalize them if they only win by a three touchdowns. Stupid but a fact of life.

·
Banned
5,876 Posts
imported post

Sorry Duchess...in this case it was not running up the score. NFL playoffs are a different game than the regular season. Dallas was not defenseless. If they didn't want the Vikes to score...stop them...it is that simple. Brooking was bad sportsman...not the Vikings.

In the playoffs...you put as many points on the board as possible....because you never know what will happen. Look at last weeks Cardinals/Packers game. Az was up 17 points before the Packers had a chance to blow their nose. AZ stopped trying to score there for a while...and back came Green Bay.

I have several old buddies from college who played in the NFL who would tell you the same thing....you play 100% until the game is over!!!! There is no room for crying in the NFL....you play your hardest until the end.... FINISH STRONG!!!! I might have only played until my Junior year in college....but if it's one thing I know....in the NFL Playoffs..you try to score everytime you have the ball...period!!! If the other team can't stop you...that's their problem.

In high school sports....a different subject all together. They aren't adults..they are kids. Humiliating a team by running up the score is uncalled for.Houston Yates did that a couple of weeks ago in a boys BBall game. Yates is one ofthe best HS BBall teams in the USA...and the team they were playing wasnot even as good as their 3rd team. They won 170-35. That is running up the score.

But in college and beyond....I don't have a problem with a team doing what they have to do. Plus...I have been on theteam that has gotten whipped up on too...it's no fun...but when you are playing college ball...you take itand you go on to your next game.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
imported post

Hi Duchess, there are two schools of thought on running up the score. First you are supposed to prepare and have your defense ready to stop a big score from happening. The second is that when you know your opponent is helpless and cannot comeback it is bad sportsmanship to ru n up the score. James and Bichondaddy have valid points. I learned from Bichondaddy that the Cowboys were trash talking about what they will do to the Vikes. I cannot say what the Vikes did is wrong in this case. Pay the big mouths off and make them back up what they said! ....Bob

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Bichondaddy wrote:
NFL playoffs are a different game than the regular season. Dallas was not defenseless. If they didn't want the Vikes to score...stop them...it is that simple.
Don't be sorry, I happen to agree with that statement.

·
Long Time Member
8,308 Posts
imported post

Genghis Khan said it best

“The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy, to drive him before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather into your bosom his wives and daughters.”

So yeah, run it up.

·
Banned
556 Posts
imported post

toecutter wrote:
Genghis Khan said it best

“The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy, to drive him before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather into your bosom his wives and daughters.”

So yeah, run it up.
I agree with that assessment.its a mind game.Devastate them.in motorsports, especially with bikes, if your in the zone with a decent lead then back off, you can get out of the zone and make mistakes.if you are pushing the limits, its best to keep pushing them.Dosen't matter if you lapped the field.When the next event comes up, that win is in the back of everyone elses mind and gives you the mental advantage.

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

It is simple stop me if you can. The play-offs are just as much Mental as it is Physical.

Example The Viks new who they where playing, and just a few weeks before the Cowboys put a hurtin on the Saints. So what does this message send?

·
Registered
837 Posts
imported post

My HS alma mater has been accused of running up the score from the late 90's to now. They have pulled their starters in the first quarter and played the bench the rest of the game and still win by 40 or more points. Do you tell them to stop playing, don't try??? When they get to the playoffs, their starters aren't use to playing full games and they have struggled. My buddies son was told to fumble if he got near the end zone in one game because of the flack the coach was getting throughout the league. Its a shame that you have to tell your kids to give up because the other team can't stop you.

·
Registered
115 Posts
imported post

In pro sports there is no such thing as running up the score. If you don't put them away they can and will come back on you.

what I have a problem with is pro teams sitting out the last game of the season, with their 1st string because they have already made the playoffs and thinking this game does not matter. It does to the players and the fans. I know the coaches don't want their stars hurt for the playoffs, but most of the time this thinking has backfired.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.