Watch Freeks banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I knew quite a bit about watches, and then I joined us for him. I really had no idea there were so many different brands of watches. Especially watches that use high-quality Japanese movements and then make high-quality cases and bracelets
The sheer number of dive watch is out there astounds me. And so now I see that there are more watches than just those was made in Switzerland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Yep. Movements are the key when comparing
I have made in Italy, but movement is Swiss 2893-2
Case might be from Germany or even China. It's confusing at first

Some watch companies would buy left over cases, moments etc... Craft a dial and
Make a new watch. All done by a Singapore company and marked as made in Switzerland

Lots of fun hunting down the info. Some watches seem to be from old reliable mfg.
concerns but then you find some one bought the name and restarted the brand
Those I tend to stay clear of. Not that. They are not good, but it's not my thing

·
6,396 Posts
Yes indeed. Perhaps some 8 years ago (or even sooner), a new phenomenon entered the watch market: the boutique watch. Or micro brand. Small, independent watch companies, often run by the owner alone, started to produce a different kind of watch. Different in the sense that they were not mass produced, more often than not equipped with mechanical movements and sold on-line only. Lately there's been an explosion of start-ups, even on Kickstarter, and the choice is enormous.

And if you follow that market closely, you'll see a strong resemblance in the cases, bands and crystals being used. Most of those 'building blocks' stem from China and it has become quite a market. As with the movements. First almost always off the shelf ETA movement, now more often Miyota or Seiko as the Swatch group is winding down production for outside buyers.

And because of that you will find hundreds of variations on the same (Rolex Sub) theme for instance. Showing great lack of fantasy. There are exceptions and I try to purchase those.

The Zodiac brand is owned by Fossil now and a resurrected brand but I find their Sea Wolf and Super Sea Wolf re-editions very succeeded.

Reactions: okcmco

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have always liked Zodiac...
I am seeing more and more watches with Sellita movements.

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,885 Posts
I have went full circle myself. Went from only one "nice" watch back in the day (1966) a Zodiac Seawolf, then wore a lot of inexpensive cheapies, then a Sub in 1996.

In the last few years I found myself in a better financial position so I have branched out, purchasing Tags, Longines, Tissot, a few Sinns and then went back to Seikos.

I now have realized that the Swiss and German watches are excellent, the much more modestly priced Seikos are almost the same quality.

I enjoy them all!

Reactions: okcmco

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have to orient watches. An older dive monster, and one of the new pilot watches. And I can't believe that Patek Philip is a better Watch by a factor of 100 as the price would indicate. I think with me, I will buy the occasional high-quality Swiss watch when I can, or German watch. But I can see myself with several Japanese or Korean watches that I use is every day where

1 - 6 of 6 Posts