Watch Freeks banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One of the watch styles I always liked is the Explorer. Meaning the 3-6-9 dial with Mercedes hands. I have had several different brands/models with this combination and even made a few projects myself. Some were awesome and some were nice. All in all however they always lacked in substance. I mean that for whatever reason the size was always a bit less that I wanted to be comfortable on my wrist. My wrist is over 8" around, usually between 8 1/4" and 8 1/2" and I have an exact idea of how large the watch should be and look on my wrist. Usual explorers are between 36mm and 40mm. The largest one I tried was the Armida and this also has 22mm lugs. It was really nice and worked well for a bit but the gilt on the dial and hands quickly became a non desirable point for me.

I then had an idea to use a diver for the project, I had a Seiko SKX007 which already had several upgrades including drilled through lugs, 6r15 movement, domed sapphire and I had recently installed a smooth bezel as well. So I got some parts, explorer type dial and hands and installed them. The hands are not chromed but have a white frame to make them a little more visible and larger.

I am happy with this, it is now an actual explorer tool watch.

Pics below.

IMG_4598.jpg
IMG_4599.jpg
IMG_4600.jpg
IMG_4601.jpg
IMG_4603.jpg
IMG_4604.jpg
IMG_4605.jpg
IMG_4606.jpg
IMG_4607.jpg
IMG_4609.jpg

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,619 Posts
.I scratched the "Explorer" itch with this. Seiko Sarg009

·
Watch Freek
56 Posts
One of the watch styles I always liked is the Explorer. Meaning the 3-6-9 dial with Mercedes hands. I have had several different brands/models with this combination and even made a few projects myself. Some were awesome and some were nice. All in all however they always lacked in substance. I mean that for whatever reason the size was always a bit less that I wanted to be comfortable on my wrist. My wrist is over 8" around, usually between 8 1/4" and 8 1/2" and I have an exact idea of how large the watch should be and look on my wrist. Usual explorers are between 36mm and 40mm. The largest one I tried was the Armida and this also has 22mm lugs. It was really nice and worked well for a bit but the gilt on the dial and hands quickly became a non desirable point for me.

I then had an idea to use a diver for the project, I had a Seiko SKX007 which already had several upgrades including drilled through lugs, 6r15 movement, domed sapphire and I had recently installed a smooth bezel as well. So I got some parts, explorer type dial and hands and installed them. The hands are not chromed but have a white frame to make them a little more visible and larger.

I am happy with this, it is now an actual explorer tool watch.

Pics below.

View attachment 134820 View attachment 134821 View attachment 134822 View attachment 134823 View attachment 134824 View attachment 134825 View attachment 134826 View attachment 134827 View attachment 134828 View attachment 134829
If you really like the Explorer style then you will probably collect a bunch of watches similar to that style but never be totally satisfied till you purchase the Rolex Explorer. You may consider saving enough money and then purchasing one on the secondary market. I have heard from many collectors love the Rolex Explorer especially the 2nd generation.I also read that the Rolex Explorer would be the best one watch only collection.

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,619 Posts
If you really like the Explorer style then you will probably collect a bunch of watches similar to that style but never be totally satisfied till you purchase the Rolex Explorer. You may consider saving enough money and then purchasing one on the secondary market. I have heard from many collectors love the Rolex Explorer especially the 2nd generation.I also read that the Rolex Explorer would be the best one watch only collection.
Best one-watch-only? Nope, an Omega Aquaterra has the Explorer beat by a mile better WR, AR crystal, better movement, it has an hour jump hand for time zone changes, has a date window, various dial colors and a lot classier looking at a much more affordable price!

Reactions: FBPB

·
Super Moderator
12,410 Posts
Well can see why you are so happy with it Carlo ! ;):D(y)(y)
Not only did you capture the Explorer feel big time, but the watch
has a feel of its own. :cool: It looks like some vintage masterpiece
at first glance thanks to the phenomenal case you picked really.
I mean look at the lines, as well as curves within that marvel sir ! 😮
Honestly is gorgeous, and reminds me of a classic race car with
all of the detail, and nooks, and crannies. Wow !!!

Even the dial is vintage perfection with its style of the markers,
and hands. Yet is nice, and modern thanks to the vibrant white
in the light, and electric lume in the dark ! ..This is one that is
nice, AND awesome Carlo ! 😊Yowza, a COLOSSAL congrats
on this latest show stopper, and thanks for showing it to us sir !!!

·
Watch Freek
56 Posts
Best one-watch-only? Nope, an Omega Aquaterra has the Explorer beat by a mile better WR, AR crystal, better movement, it has an hour jump hand for time zone changes, has a date window, various dial colors and a lot classier looking at a much more affordable price!

View attachment 134839
I would actually agree with you I like the Aqua terra as well but the OP wanted a watch with the same attributes as the Explorer and mentioned the Mecedes/Cathedral hands, maybe a Seiko Aplinist but then again if an Explorer lookiing watch is what the OP wants then they probably will not be satisfied until they get the "Explorer".

·
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Certainly every one has different opinions and taste, each one has a certain view of the hobby as well in fact, just looking at the watches one wear every day, one can see the different styles, brands, models, etc. indeed if everyone liked only one watch it would be pretty boring, everybody showing only that one watch and talking about only that one watch. So to a degree we are blessed in this hobby because there is so much variety.

To clarify my preference and experience here, I had several watches that resemble closely the different Explorer models. I like them all, more or less, but they are not for me. They would if I had millions of dollars in my watch fund, I could probably buy and keep one of each... that would be cool but not really feasable.

I also like to change my watches, meaning I don't like to wear a watch more then a day or two, so having only one watch would not work. Actually, the word collection means an accumulation of objects gathered for study, comparison, or exhibition or as a hobby a collection of poems a collection of photographs a baseball card collection. So one watch is not a collection. But anyway, the fact is that I like to have more then one watch to wear on different days, so having one watch is not quite my goal.

Also I doubt if I would be happy or satisfied to have only one watch that cost me thousands of dollars rather then several cheaper ones. Money or expensive watches don't necessarily mean happiness. There used to be an happy man once upon a time, he did not have money to even have a shirt... :) But he was happy. :) I kind of like to see myself that way, not being happy because I can spend a lot of money and have one watch, but being able to have different ones that I like and spending as little as possible.

If someone can afford expensive Rolexes, all the better for him. I am happy for him and anyone who can have Rolexes, JLC, PPs, etc.

As for me, I wanted a watch that resembled the Explorer but was a bit larger and more toolish. This is why I am happy with this one.

Oh, I love Omega too, in fact I like the AT, my favorite is actually the older Railmaster... But I can settle for something newer and similar.... my Railmaster project.

IMG_4417.jpg
IMG_4410.jpg
IMG_4411.jpg
IMG_4412.jpg
IMG_4413.jpg
IMG_4414.jpg
IMG_4415.jpg

·
Super Moderator
12,410 Posts
And that is just as breathtaking Carlo, and not only looks like the
Railmaster, but also the Planet Ocean ! 🤯😮o_O:D Yowza, we,
or you could call it the Rail Ocean. 😲:cool: Its actually the kind of
thing I wish brands themselves would try sir. I mean imagine if
Omega made multiple variants of the Railmaster, or Planet Ocean
which gave you a different flavor? ..Maybe some could be more
retro, or vintage. While others could be more experimental, and
cutting edge.

It would be neat, but then again, if you can build them yourself,
and at a fraction of the price, or cost than that's way cooler !!! (y)(y)

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,619 Posts
I would actually agree with you I like the Aqua terra as well but the OP wanted a watch with the same attributes as the Explorer and mentioned the Mecedes/Cathedral hands, maybe a Seiko Aplinist but then again if an Explorer lookiing watch is what the OP wants then they probably will not be satisfied until they get the "Explorer".
I wasnt referring to the Explorer in terms of just appearence, I was referring to it in the terms of "Best" one watch does-it-all catagory.

My dislike for the Mercedes hands aside, the Explorer is lacking in essential complications to be considered best in the "Only Watch" catagory.

I would have bought the Explorer years ago if it hadn't been for no date complication.

The Aquaterra with the date complication and the hour jump-hand put it eons ahead of the Explorer.

·
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And that is just as breathtaking Carlo, and not only looks like the
Railmaster, but also the Planet Ocean ! 🤯😮o_O:D Yowza, we,
or you could call it the Rail Ocean. 😲:cool: Its actually the kind of
thing I wish brands themselves would try sir. I mean imagine if
Omega made multiple variants of the Railmaster, or Planet Ocean
which gave you a different flavor? ..Maybe some could be more
retro, or vintage. While others could be more experimental, and
cutting edge.

It would be neat, but then again, if you can build them yourself,
and at a fraction of the price, or cost than that's way cooler !!! (y)(y)
Thank you Tom, that's exactly right. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts