Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many, many years ago I stumbled upon Eddie Platt's 'Timefactors' site. It was because of his now very coveted Dreadnought. It was already sold out but he also had introduced the first and original Speedbird PRS-1. That was in 2001. I wanted to buy that watch but was strapped for cash and had to pass at the very last minute.

He is the owner of the Smiths watch trademark and introduced the Everest which I find to be a not to successful Explorer clone. But now he has introduced a new (36mm) version called the Everest Expedition which is far closer to the 1958 original. I am contemplating in purchasing this one in the near future. Apart from the (to some unacceptable) size, what is your opinion?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Many, many years ago I stumbled upon Eddie Platt's 'Timefactors' site. It was because of his now very coveted Dreadnought. It was already sold out but he also had introduced the first and original Speedbird PRS-1. That was in 2001. I wanted to buy that watch but was strapped for cash and had to pass at the very last minute.

He is the owner of the Smiths watch trademark and introduced the Everest which I find to be a not to successful Explorer clone. But now he has introduced a new (36mm) version called the Everest Expedition which is far close to the 1958 original. I am contemplating in purchasing this one in the new future. Apart from the (to some unacceptable) size, what is your opinion?
The size does not bother me, seems fitting really. I guess I'd like it to simply read "Everest" and leave off the other text, but it's a classic vintage-looking piece regardless of that. I like the cream dial and are those blued hands? Like those too.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The size does not bother me, seems fitting really. I guess I'd like it to simply read "Everest" and leave off the other text, but it's a classic vintage-looking piece regardless of that. I like the cream dial and are those blued hands? Like those too.

Yes, heat-blued hands of the syringe type. Movement is the Miyota 9039. And to my great relief those hands are not of the 'Mercedes' type which have no place on a watch like this one.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I've been eyeing the black dial PRS-29 they offer. Prefer the Smiths logo used on the Everest model though. Too fancy for a military watch I reckon though.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm too lazy right now to do the research but at some point in time that watch was just a Smiths watch. This watch however has nothing to do with the Everest expedition (that was in 1953) but is an homage to the watch used on the 1958 Antarctic expedition.

Apart from that poetic freedom, one can compare it to the pre-moon Speedmaster. It only became the 'Moonwatch' AFTER it was used by astronauts on the moon. So that Smiths used on expeditions only became the 'Everest' AFTER that expedition.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
i like it a lot . 36 is a little to small for my 7,5 inch wrist. 38 is my limit. Miyota power works. How much?

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i like it a lot . 36 is a little to small for my 7,5 inch wrist. 38 is my limit. Miyota power works. How much?
325 GBP ex. shipping.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I too rather like the classic vintage look of this one which looks nice on the bracelet. The size is not an issue for me either.

Also concur that it would be even more appealing with less printed clutter on the dial.

·
Super Moderator
9,701 Posts
Really does look great Frans, and love how even though it's a nice
simple, and straightforward dial. With everything from the neat
looking numbers, to classic hands. It manages to stand out with
the touches of red, circular indentation in the middle, and even
even cool logo. :coo2l:

Think the size isn't a big issue either, because that crown has to
bring it up to a solid 38mm sir ! :)

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I really like this watch. Just wish it was around 42mm. Otherwise, it's got it all. Love the off white dial, handset with nice red accented second hand, drilled lugs, nice thin case and an upgraded scissors clasp on a nice bracelet. What's up with those bracelet pins though ? Can't say that I've ever seen anything like that before... :confused:

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
I'm too lazy right now to do the research but at some point in time that watch was just a Smiths watch. This watch however has nothing to do with the Everest expedition (that was in 1953) but is an homage to the watch used on the 1958 Antarctic expedition.

Apart from that poetic freedom, one can compare it to the pre-moon Speedmaster. It only became the 'Moonwatch' AFTER it was used by astronauts on the moon. So that Smiths used on expeditions only became the 'Everest' AFTER that expedition.
Like most marketing ploys, nostalgic Smoke and Mirrors are applied.

Given his druthers, I'm sure Sir Edmund would have preferred a low-end G-Shock to either his Smith's or Rolex if he as given the chance!

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I really like this watch. Just wish it was around 42mm. Otherwise, it's got it all. Love the off white dial, handset with nice red accented second hand, drilled lugs, nice thin case and an upgraded scissors clasp on a nice bracelet. What's up with those bracelet pins though ? Can't say that I've ever seen anything like that before... :confused:

They are meant to emulate the rivets used on the first steel bracelets. But a bit exaggerated I guess.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I like it a lot. I have a 7 ½ inch wrist and I find I can wear a 36mm - had a Explorer 1 that worked okey.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Frans:
Fills all the required boxes for me, IMHO.
Can't snag one because of 2 other Dreadnoughts. A Martin and Taylor
guitar Dreadnoghts. In the NBZ because of their purchase
Dreadnoght guitars are called that for the 1916 British Dreadnoght
battle ship. Dreadnoght guitars are thicker at the rear than they are where
the body meets the neck.Just like the ships that are taller at the bow than
at the stern.

Even used these guitars can be pricey! So hello NBZ

Lou Snutt

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes, heat-blued hands of the syringe type. Movement is the Miyota 9039. And to my great relief those hands are not of the 'Mercedes' type which have no place on a watch like this one.
So the dial is cream colored not white--their site is not clear about that? And do you know how accurate that Miyota movement is? It's a beautiful watch but a shame it's not an ETA.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So the dial is cream colored not white--their site is not clear about that? And do you know how accurate that Miyota movement is? It's a beautiful watch but a shame it's not an ETA.

1. Their site is very clear about that, please read carefully
2. Google is your best friend :D
3. Why?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Everest

Nice watch, you mentioned an Explorer and I even have a Citizen that
is a clone for an Explorer. I would only consider a watch if it was
41 to 44 MM. Just my $ .02 cents.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts