Watch Freeks banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

So I would never wear a smart watch. Just isn't my style however, my wife would like one.

I recently brought up the idea of getting a Pebble, but she did not really like the reviews on that watch and the features of it. She felt it was limited.

She wants her watch for fitness as well as being paired with her phone as much as possible. So I was thinking about grabbing her an Apple Watch. I am hesitant on getting that watch though. It will pair nicely with the 5s phone she currently owns but I am hesitant on the fact that Apple designs a lot of their products to be obsolete after a couple of years. Don't get me wrong, all I use are apple products, but I do not want to get her a watch that will be useless in a few years after paying $500 for it.

Do you guys have any better alternatives?

·
Senior Freek
2,505 Posts
If your wife would like one and she has been reading reviews, is she trying to "trap" you by letting you choose? Kind of like "I want a smart watch but I don't want to commit to one but if my husband buys me one I can say its his fault he picked the wrong one and I won't have to feel guilty about not using it."

I've been married for 6 years and I still don't understand my wife sometimes. Needless to say she wins all the fights.
LMAO. I concur.

·
Registered
929 Posts
"Apple designs a lot of their products to be obsolete after a couple of years"

It's not that Apple designs them to be obsolete in a couple of years, it's that technology moves forward so quickly that the product is obsolete as soon as you buy it!

·
Registered
433 Posts
FWIW

i am trying to get rid of some great watches
LumTecs and Seikos

they are underpriced

no takers

Why am i flipping?

I got a Apple Watch

IMHO there are alot of WIS that for the sub $1,000 range
are getting apple watchs and not admiting it ;-)

My thoughts after 2 days with my AW?

Light
great looking
cant wait for strap adaptors
software is great, NOT funky like folks have been whining about
charged it last nite after a 4 am to 8 pm day at 36% level
even after checking calendar and health stats all day
sending 10+ texts
making 6 Dick Tracy calls

my only beef:
goes blank too quick

get her a AW
in fact, get one for your self first, but let me sell my stuff first ;-)

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
I would tell her to wait a couple years, when the technology will surpass anything they have out now, or some bull like that.
You know how Apple operates. Try selling an outdated smart watch when the newer and better model comes out, and she or you will want that one.

·
Registered
Grand Seiko Heritage White, Victorinox Inoc, Casio
458 Posts
I suggest a brief wait until the end of July 2015 Peeble is introducing new models pretty regularly... the newest, unless you want to pre order, is continuing the Pebble tradition of doable simplicity ...

Apple is a great company... some of their products are without a doubt the best made and reliable... I speak from first hand knowledge owning several.

I take except to the watch ... I would have thought the Apple would have gone 1 or 2 long lasting batteries with 1 year battery changes needed. I understand for half the money Pebble gives twice the recharge time ... about a week ... Apples' watch frankly is too much like a toy and no where as style conscience... At a demo at the Apple store the sales guru got lost in the presentation and would not discuss or accept the fact that there are negatives for the watch ... Sorry--- Apple but that is not realistic ... they, I think feel because Apple makes it, it is the best, forgetting major operating features... every smart watch has some negatives or improvement area, we are in the infant stages of a new technology implementation... can one honestly say that the first car big and bulky cell phones had no room for improvement.

Also, Apple , I have read, when they meet had product developers present the new product(s)... you never see a female at Apple in that role presenting. I wonder why?

I own 2 smart watches being a Renaissance man ... At minimum ask your wife to check out the Pebble Steel, on the market, or the next Pebble since Pebble seems to focus on improvements as the wearable market evolves.

My Steel gets 7-8 days on a full charge, has the gorilla glass crystal, and runs like charm...

I also own a Cogito Metal, which carries the battery option I mentioned with 2 batteries in the case, 1 and 3 year battery replacement ... it however has been discontinued... I stay away from those items since if I need parts etc. it may be a chore to obtain on a discontinued product... leaving me with a "hassled" experience on an extension of my smart phone ...

·
Registered
337 Posts
I would not get a Pebble as it will be obsolete faster than any other Smart watch.

Think Nook or Kindle reader vs the iPad or Kindle Fire even.

When the iPad first came out e-reader enthusiasts were all complaining about the battery life. They expected the iPad to only be about e-reading for some reason.

Same with Pebble watches. They are made exceptionally well for the limited range of functions. Currently there is a lot of cross over between what the Pebble and the Apple watch can do. Therefore its only about the battery now.

In the near future the Apple Watch will do a lot more than the Pebble can.

I've been wearing the Apple Watch for the last month exclusively. All the criticism it gets are valid.

-Apps are slow and flawed.
-Battery has to be charged (but if you don't wear your watch to sleep now you won't notice a difference)
-Limited capabilities.

All three things listed are bound to improve. So waiting is wise.

What I like.

-being able to reply to texts with Siri and voice dictation while driving in my car.
-receive notifications during meetings without needed to take out my phone.
-have dinner with friends without my phone out worried about missing anything.
-Instant access to weather.

You might say theses are trivia things. True, but so what. Smart watches has improved my day to day life ever so slightly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I got a Apple Watch

IMHO there are alot of WIS that for the sub $1,000 range
are getting apple watchs and not admiting it ;-)

My thoughts after 2 days with my AW?

Light
great looking
cant wait for strap adaptors
software is great, NOT funky like folks have been whining about
charged it last nite after a 4 am to 8 pm day at 36% level
even after checking calendar and health stats all day
sending 10+ texts
making 6 Dick Tracy calls

my only beef:
goes blank too quick

get her a AW
in fact, get one for your self first, but let me sell my stuff first ;-)
Agree with you, I hate that it goes blank so quick.

For the rest, it's a great watch!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.