Watch Freeks banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Watch Freek
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
A big reason I originally settled for the 556 was money and availability; the 836 came in at twice+ the 556.

However this 836 is much closer to what I wanted (Materials, size, color, anti-magnetic); plus I got tired of waiting on the WatchBuys site.

Now I'm doing some pre-work on leather - just in case I don't like the OEM bracelet.

This time I ignored Cheap Charlie rules.
Natural material Rectangle Material property Font Jewellery

· Watch Freek
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's Monday night in Japan and I just received notification from the seller;
he provided a FedEx number and says he'll ship it out tomorrow (his time).

He also said I should expect delivery (included in sale price) Thursday or Friday. Just WOW!

Still no word (or refund) from the errant 556 seller.

· Watch Freek
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I believe I've been discouraged from publicly outing this scoundrel - so what I will suggest is to read the feedback on sellers before making an eBay purchase.
Once resolved I intend to leave some scathing feedback.

For those not knowing what happened...
Seller marked my Sinn purchase as shipped, and collected the money.
As UPS tracking continued to show it hadn't been shipped I asked whats going on?
Seller admitted he did not ship item (says he lost it), but hasn't refunded my money nor acknowledge anymore messages.
eBay won't assist until time passes, Nov 9 at the earliest.

· Watch Freek
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
It gets "more stupid'er"

Once the eBay deadline passed the seller sent me a return label.
So this morning I sealed up an empty box and returned it (with a package slip stating I'm returning what I received - nothing).
Hours later eBay picked up the tracking number and said I should expect my money back within 3 days of delivery.

Reference my Sinn 836, FedEx has announce it's physically in their possession (Japan); too early to determine a specific delivery date.

· Watch Freek
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's what happens when it's (eBay) all run by robotics; at least initially there are no live people to intercede.

Last night (before I went to bed) my new Sinn was in Japan. This morning its in Memphis; still no posted delivery date - maybe waiting on customs?

· Watch Freek
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I guess FedEx doesn't read their hold list - because they didn't. Fortunately (unfortunately) my bride is feeling poor so we stayed home (rescheduled for later in the week).

Sinn 836, 43mm X 10.6mm (large yet thin):
Watch Analog watch Gesture Clock Watch accessory

· Watch Freek
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
This morning I took a trip to a local watch doctor (to resize the bracelet) as I didn't want to mark it up. Apparently it was quite a chore as it took them awhile. He removed two links and tightened up two clicks on the fastener. Now that I'm home I notice he took both links off the same side leaving the clasp off-centered. I'll wear it this way for a few days, to ensure I'm happy with the fit - then return to have him balance the clasp out.

Side note: I've now ordered a 22mm leather strap from The StrapSmith; just in case I decide against its' (heavy) bracelet. It'll have an oversized buckle with an airplane carved out (for this pilot watch), and RED stiching instead of the black X's ( matching its red second hand), Plus an angled tip cut. Actual pics will follow once received.

Wood Everyday carry Rectangle Hunting knife Electric blue

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Line Automotive exterior Automotive design

Grass Rectangle Plant Gadget Wood

· Watch Freek
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Earlier today I almost passed the watch doctor when I remembered I needed to revisit.
A pretty little thing balanced the links out within a few minutes.

Thank you Miss.

· Watch Freek
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Followup: the first 3 days of wear the 836 gained nearly 5 sec. a day - but come today (a full week later) it is at 5 sec fast. Today I zeroed it out, start fresh for observation.

I've come to adapt to the bracelet weight and it feels good on my wrist.

Something else I've noticed about it, when in the water it's as if it'd been waxed, the water beads and rolls off. Maybe normal - but maybe the seller spiffed it up.

As for the errant 556 eBay seller - it's still not been resolved. I've turned it over to my credit card company - their automated robotics said not to expect anything until Dec 2. Grrrrrr.

· Watch Freek
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Not that this cheap Charlie is likely to act on it, but I've been eye-balling another Sinn - a U50T (tegimented), made from anti-magnetic submarine stainless steel. It's a smaller (41mm) diver that kind of reminds me of a field watch. In this size desk diving suits me well.

This newfound hobby is turning out to be more expensive than firearms - however it doesn't need expensive /hard to get (ammo) feeding.
Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Font

· Watch Freek
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
About 2-3 weeks ago I ordered another strap (for this Sinn 836) from The StrapSmith /Master; it's now in the possession of the USPS. Hopefully I'll receive it before the xmas mail rush.

Pics - and opinions - to follow.

· Watch Freek
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Two initial comments,
I'm unsure that I like the OVERSIZED airplane buckle, but it was MY choice. It greatly adds to the width.
I'm unsure if the final keeper is supposed to have the red showing or be on the inside. I'm gonna try it exposed.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts