Watch Freeks banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

UPDATE - APPARENTLY THERE IS SOME POSSIBILTY THIS MAY BE INCORRECT BUT I WOULD ALWAYS CHECK WITH YOUR CARRIER OF CHOICE ON THESE TYPES OF TERMS & INSURANCE -TO BE SURE

i found this on another forum -i thought maybe you guys should know about this

i took out names so as not to totally steal it

Shipping Via UPS-A Word of Caution!
Today in speaking with our great friend XXXXXX, I learned something that I didn't know and wanted to pass along.

He mentioned to me that when UPS is used for shipping, that even though they charge for insurance, they will not cover jewelry and watches!

Apparently he had a situation where a watch was lost and they refused to issue a refund for the watch's value. Despite the fact they ask you to declare the value of what you're sending, the fine print advises this fact. He went on to say that many of their employees are unaware of this. That's why XXX only uses USPS Priority Mail.

Given this fact, I will no longer use UPS, even though where I live, going to the post office can be quite a lengthy and frustrating experience!

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

me either - but always best to read the fine print

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
imported post

That blows. Shop uses them primarily when shipping to me. No problems as of yet, but it only takes once for you to be screwed! I suppose Shop would pick up the tab in that instance?

I only use USPS when sending out a sold/traded watch anyway.

·
Registered
154 Posts
imported post

several ups boxes with dents but they do get here. the drivers throw them on my open porch rather than on the landing! thanks for the good word..rob

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

I just got off the phone with my local UPS shipper that we use DAILY for my business AND I regularly send watches out from. She knows I am sending watches and there has never ever been an issue with this.

That being said she is going to call UPS Headquarters and get the official exact rule on shipping watches and call me back. Once she does I will post what I learn here.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
imported post

wow I did not know that George...Thanks for the headsup...I am in wholesale and use UPS for my carrier...I am going to ask him that question on Monday and see what he says...

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

UPDATE - I just got off the phone with our UPS rep and she said that OF COURSE they would cover any legit damages or loses on watches shipped using their service if insurance had been purchased. They do have a top level of $50,000 in value they can't go over, but who would be shipping a $50,000 watch anyway. That top level is mainly for things like artwork, antiques, etc.

But as far as watches go, it would be handled like any other item with insurance and would be covered. She SPECIFICALLY inquired about watches and even went a step further and explained exactly why she was inquiring for me since I ship watches of all value all the time. She was again assured that the items would be covered, if legit claim, like always.

That is the information that was given to me today directly from UPS rep we use for our business account.

·
Registered
864 Posts
imported post

I always ship UPS and never have had a problem!! If you dont put the value it's automaticallycovered to 100 bucks after that you candeclare any value you want and it will be covered! Do alot of ups shipping out of my businessMost time i will delcare the value higher just in case something happens and you've got to wait to get funds !!

·
Registered
185 Posts
imported post

I bought 2 watches from Casio's store about a year ago that were shipped to me via UPS, delivered but apparently taken from our porch. I filed a claim with the local UPS Service Center but was reimbursed by Casio, not UPS. Casio refunded my Paypal payment in full.

I'm confused by the difference in response here. I never asked why Casio did the refund, I was just happy not to be out the money.

I ship USPS Insured Priority Mail when I sell or trade anything and have had to file only one claim for a lost package. I had to wait 30 days to make sure it didn't show up after I filed the claim but was reimbursed for the insured value. USPS is cheaper than UPS and usually gets delivered in 2 business days. UPS takes at least one day longer depending on the distance.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
imported post

TVDinner wrote:
UPDATE...That is the information that was given to me today directly from UPS rep we use for our business account.
Thanks James, I didn't think they would have a stipulation like that, but, regardless, I ship out exclusively USPS Priority with Insurance.

The main reason for this isthree fold.

1. Paypal shipping handshakes completely with the USPS and I print out my shipping postage at home on Dymo LabelWriter 2.5" x 7" labels. This includes insurance, free delivery confirmation, and signature confirmation if I choose those services. The USPS Priority offers me free delivery confirmation on all the items I ship out, and on items from 13 ounce to 1 pound, USPS Priority is actually less expensive than Parcel Post.
  2. The USPS comes right to my door to pick up all my outgoing parcels for free and even performs an acceptance scan when I have a scan form for an item of great value, over $250.
  3. The USPS never stops moving. Unlike UPS, even over weekends and holidaystrucks are loaded and unloaded and dispatched in and out, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Your UPS shipments can sit on a truck in their yard over a long holiday weekend and never be touched until the workers return after the weekend or holiday. This can add serious deliver time to your shipment. Also, without an additional charge, UPS does not deliver on Saturdays.
Paypal does offer UPS shipping services but I do not have the special label printer they would require, and or I don't like to tape a plain paper label on a parcel and then have to take it to the UPS Store 5 miles away.

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
imported post

Very good to know. That had me a little concerned seeing as that I'm waiting for a watch right now that is in the hands of UPS.

·
Registered
864 Posts
imported post

UPS pays back the sender of the lost package!roloya wrote:
I bought 2 watches from Casio's store about a year ago that were shipped to me via UPS, delivered but apparently taken from our porch. I filed a claim with the local UPS Service Center but was reimbursed by Casio, not UPS. Casio refunded my Paypal payment in full.

I'm confused by the difference in response here. I never asked why Casio did the refund, I was just happy not to be out the money.

I ship USPS Insured Priority Mail when I sell or trade anything and have had to file only one claim for a lost package. I had to wait 30 days to make sure it didn't show up after I filed the claim but was reimbursed for the insured value. USPS is cheaper than UPS and usually gets delivered in 2 business days. UPS takes at least one day longer depending on the distance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts