Watch Freeks banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok don't get me wrong very nice watches,they have that cool 1940s pilot watch look that I really dig.However I cant see the justification in forking out 500 to 700 dollars for a quartz watch with a Rhonda quartz movement Especially when I could go to Amazon and purchase a nice Seiko Automatic dive watch for under 200 usd or a Seiko 5 for even less.Now yes I know that Shinolas are all hand made in Detroit,but there are other brands out there that use a Rhonda quartz movement and some of them retail for half if not less then the Shinola watches.I am sorry but I don't understand what all the fuss about them is

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
When I was young, we had a phrase....
Which went like this

All that shi....et and shinola

I'm just seeing poo or shoe shine wax when the name pops up

You can get top watches for a lot less using the same materials.
Who cares if some person in Detroit hand made it
Sorry, it's a loser for me.

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
I don't get it either.
You have to give them credit though, they know how to market their s**t.
JMO

·
Registered
650 Posts
Meh, Shinola just doesn't do a thing for me. For the same money for one, I can buy a couple of Seikos, or I could buy 4 or 5 Vostok Amphibias.

Reactions: Roarry

·
Registered
319 Posts
Ok don't get me wrong very nice watches,they have that cool 1940s pilot watch look that I really dig.However I cant see the justification in forking out 500 to 700 dollars for a quartz watch with a Rhonda quartz movement Especially when I could go to Amazon and purchase a nice Seiko Automatic dive watch for under 200 usd or a Seiko 5 for even less.Now yes I know that Shinolas are all hand made in Detroit,but there are other brands out there that use a Rhonda quartz movement and some of them retail for half if not less then the Shinola watches.I am sorry but I don't understand what all the fuss about them is
Limited Life time warranty.

·
Registered
489 Posts
A local AD had a display of Shinola watches and the storeowner told me a little bit about the brand's background. Needless to say I kinda forgot most of what he said, but I'm certainly of the same opinion as the OP. For the prices they want for each watch, I'd rather get a Seiko indeed. Or a Laco if I wanted to get that flieger styling.

Reactions: TheVostokGuy

·
Super Moderator
14,708 Posts
I like the look of their watches, as well as different variations, and models they make, but wish they were less also HW. Honestly think if they were they would sell like hotcakes. :) (Always wanted to say that) :smile: The watches look very well made, but kind of thought maybe their automatic watches would cost what their quartz do, and their quartz would be more affordable for everyone. ..Maybe at some point will see prices come down, or maybe some less expensive models.

Cool question honestly HW !

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,890 Posts
I don't get it either, especially the name, the term "Shine" is a derogatory invective used to describe black people in the Midwest. And they are based in Detroit with the majority of workers black people???

For the $700 they want for a Shinola I recently purchased two Seikos, both mid-range high quality models,

The Seiko SARG009 and the Seiko Blumo SBDC003. Either one of these watches blows anything Shinola makes right out of the water.

Reactions: cmann_97

·
3,979 Posts
WF's:
IMHO Shinola needs to rethink their pricing structure.
But what tha hey? American watch techs are gonna need higher
wages than 8 cent an hour Chinese assemblers.
It's not written on tablets of stone, buyers keeping Shinola solvent
but isn't that we are doing?
$700.00 a pop isn't chicken feed - but neither is $10k for a Date/Just.
Keep Americans working!!!

Lou Snutt

·
3,979 Posts
Bracky:
Exactly.
Next board meeting, 1st order of bizness should be,
pick a name not so closely related to "He don't sh.. from
Shinola". Dumbest name, regardless of ethnicity of their
assemblers. A catchy name will work wonders IMO.

Lou Snutt

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
Regardless of name of company, movements in watches etc, the company is doing pretty damn good.

Pricing is high. But they are not marketed towards the watch freek or enthusiast.

It's been said many times. We are a small group of people when it comes to who is buying watches.

They are marketing towards the general public...the assembled in USA, the resurgence of American products. (Even though none of their products are made there., only assembled)
Watches, bikes. Leather,, they have created a brand. And the name? While it might not be one you guys like...everyone knows it, good or bad. I think it was smart on their part.

As for the watches, they are not for me. But I do like the look of the Filson line of watches . (Made by Shinola)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
527 Posts
Amazing. You Yanks have the opportunity to buy a watch largely made in the USA, the business model of which is also based upon regeneration of urban Detroit, a company which is also going out of its way to increase the USA content by sourcing in future locally made straps, and you're bitching that they cost more than a mid-range Seiko or some such.

I would JUMP at the opportunity to buy an Australian made watch. No doubt it would be on the pricey side but, like my $400 RM Williams boots, it would be worth every cent - you can't put a price on your country and the well being of your countrymen.

There still seems to be misunderstanding about the brand name. Shinola was a high quality brand with an excellent reputation back in the day. Hence the phrase, "you don't know **** from Shinola".

·
Registered
957 Posts
^^^^ "You don't know **** from shinola" That's how I have always remembered the phrase.That's what the old man used to say to me all the time. LOL. Have always wondered since then,what the hell is a "Shinola" anyway?Regardless I have to agree they couldn't come up with a better name that that ?

Reactions: cmann_97

·
Registered
867 Posts
Amazing. You Yanks have the opportunity to buy a watch largely made in the USA, the business model of which is also based upon regeneration of urban Detroit, a company which is also going out of its way to increase the USA content by sourcing in future locally made straps, and you're bitching that they cost more than a mid-range Seiko or some such.

I would JUMP at the opportunity to buy an Australian made watch. No doubt it would be on the pricey side but, like my $400 RM Williams boots, it would be worth every cent - you can't put a price on your country and the well being of your countrymen.

There still seems to be misunderstanding about the brand name. Shinola was a high quality brand with an excellent reputation back in the day. Hence the phrase, "you don't know **** from Shinola".
Well Said!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts