Watch Freeks banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Watch Freek
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a watch collector and enthusiast, I sometimes have moments of logic, and it is quite scary. Today I watched a review on the Bliger Explorer, a homage of the Rolex Explorer. I once owned a Bliger Omega James Bond Seamaster watch, and it was pretty faultless. I ended up selling for next to nothing. These are some some of the specifications,
:- Sapphire crystal
:- Screw down back and crown
:- 316L case and bracelet
:- Available in a 36mm or 39mm case, and four different coloured dials
:- The bracelet is a solid oyster style, has solid end links, screw pins, and the clasp is fully milled with a slidelock system.
:- There is a choice of movements, including a PT5000 movement

My choice would be the sky blue dial, in 36mm with the PT5000 movement. Of course, if you want a cheaper movement, the cost will be less, however the PT5000 is HK industry clone of the ETA2824, and already owning two watches with this movement, can assure everyone it indeed runs just the same as an ETA2824. So, considering the high spec of this watch, what is the cost. Well, with the PT5000 movement on either size, it costs $130, yes, $130. What's more, they offer free delivery.

Like I said on the title, why pay more? will I order one, probably not, but that's only because I don't want a direct homage

·
Watch Freek
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why pay more? It's the difference between this...

And this...

Is but one reason...
Sorry, you have got me there. The PT5000 is a clone of the ETA 2824 which is used in many very expensive watches. I have several watches with the ETA movement, as well as the Sellita equivalent, and can assure you that according to my timegrapher they perform exactly the same. In actual fact, the PT 5000, although not chronometer graded, leaves the factory with similar specifications. This movement on the two watches I own runs less than +4spd.

Like I said, I don't own one of these watches, but in a moment of logic, I have to ask myself why I have spent so much more on watches that offer so little more?

·
Aspiring Expert
2,100 Posts
Sorry, you have got me there. The PT5000 is a clone of the ETA 2824 which is used in many very expensive watches. I have several watches with the ETA movement, as well as the Sellita equivalent, and can assure you that according to my timegrapher they perform exactly the same. In actual fact, the PT 5000, although not chronometer graded, leaves the factory with similar specifications. This movement on the two watches I own runs less than +4spd.

Like I said, I don't own one of these watches, but in a moment of logic, I have to ask myself why I have spent so much more on watches that offer so little more?
The ETA 2824 movement is a very good and capable movement that's why they are used in so many high quality watches, though the Rolex 3187 movement is a more refined movement it's arguable that it's thousands of dollars more refined? ;)

Reactions: Roarry

·
Watch Freek
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The ETA 2824 movement is a very good and capable movement that's why they are used in so many high quality watches, though the Rolex 3187 movement is a more refined movement it's arguable that it's thousands of dollars more refined? ;)
I have no doubt you are right, but don't see the relevance of your argument. I am not comparing the watch in question with a Rolex explorer, I simply asking why we spend so much on watches. However, let us have a look at movements. A good movement is accurate, reliable, and requires little servicing. I have an Elabore grade movement in my Direnzo DRZ 03 that gains 1 second every three days. It has very little positional variance, a very good amplitude, a zero beat error, and a service interval of about ten years. When it will eventually need servicing it will be relatively inexpensive, whereas the Rolex movement will cost in the region of £600 to be serviced in the UK. Please explain what makes the Rolex movement better?

·
Aspiring Expert
2,100 Posts
No argument, I was just commenting on what you had said about, "Today I watched a review on the Bliger Explorer, a homage of the Rolex Explorer" and your question "why pay more", that's all...

Reactions: Roarry

·
Super Moderator
1,405 Posts
I simply asking why we spend so much on watches. However, let us have a look at movements. A good movement is accurate, reliable, and requires little servicing. I have an Elabore grade movement in my Direnzo DRZ 03 that gains 1 second every three days. It has very little positional variance, a very good amplitude, a zero beat error, and a service interval of about ten years. When it will eventually need servicing it will be relatively inexpensive, whereas the Rolex movement will cost in the region of £600 to be serviced in the UK. Please explain what makes the Rolex movement better?
It's called marketing, Brand Image, one-upmanship and cost of ownership. With a Rolex, you are in a "special club", and the service costs reflect the cost of ownership in order to remain in that "special club".

It's like owning an Ferrari. If you can't afford the service costs, don't buy the car.

·
Super Moderator
15,152 Posts
It's a really intriguing question Wiggles. And of course a really fun topic ! 😀
Have to thank you for asking what all of us think about this !!!

Serously, just looking at the list of specifications next to the pictures of the
watches does put a smile on the face. Because you are getting a nice looking
watch, or watches that have cool colorful personalities. Not to mention, harken
back to the new Oyster Perpetuals that were all the rage in the last year, or so.
And when you look at everything as a whole with these, it really does seem
like you would get everything you would want. Or definitely need within a watch
that's for sure. ..Then add in the price, and it's a tour de force of value too MW. 😉

To tell the truth I'm picturing the light blue on your wrist now MW. 😎

·
Watch Freek
426 Posts
Why pay more? It's the difference between this...

And this...

Is but one reason, while both watches look similar at a glance, they are not...
And there you have it I think. Most folks seeing the watch on your wrist will never know the quality of the works but you will. I think we all spend our money on our select hobbies.

·
Watch Freek
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And there you have it I think. Most folks seeing the watch on your wrist will never know the quality of the works but you will. I think we all spend our money on our select hobbies.
I don't disagree with the sentiment. It is easy to argue that a $10 quartz watch does the same as a $10,000 Rolex, but isn't my point. The watch I used as an example in the thread title does meet a reasonably high criteria. It is constructed of 316L stainless steel, it does have an excellent movement, it does have sapphire crystal, and it does have a reasonable bracelet and clasp. It may be technically a mile away from the watch it homages to, but at the same time is technically better than many high street brand watches costing many times as much.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts