Watch Freeks banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang,

I came across this article on Caliber Corner, link is below, that discusses some
SW200 movement specifics and problems concerning it's reliability.
This may be old news to some, but I was surprised to learn that
manually winding an older Sellita powered watch could damage the
Ratchet mechanism? Wow!

How many of us have this eta clone
in our collections?

How many of us really know?

Hope you find this useful.

_Scott

Super Moderator
This is totally new news to me Scott, and is definitely helpful, and useful
that is for sure. 馃憖 (y) Had no idea about this issue actually, and bet this
will be extrememly helpful to all those who have the movement in a watch,
or watches of theirs.

Will the movements/watches technically be fine, as long as people aren't
hand winding their watches? Or do you think the issue will have to be fixed?

Really appreciate the news of this Scott. Thank you !

Registered
I have better luck as far as consistent accuracy with my Sellita movements then I do ETA, even better with my Seiko 4R36 and NH35s, all of which run COSC accuracy. Hell, even some of my Vostoks are running COSC.

Registered
Chazz:
I assume you're referring to SW500 engines? I had no better luck with non Sellita 500s than I had with 4R36 in my Seiko SRP357 or the NH35 in my Victer 8926.
Jus saying

Lou Snutt

Registered
Chazz. I got PO'd with mechanical Automatic and Hand Crankers, packed em up, and gifted every one to a fellow WF.He asked not to divulge his user ID.
But I'm sure you are acquainted with him. Standup guy who gifted me an EcoZilla. My go to watch. Now Im a Seiko VX43, V158, EcoDrive quartzie WF now

Registered
I would like to hear/see more on this. The original SW200 was a real stinker. the gearset did not have the right geometry resulting in the movement literally seizing. Then when hand wound, you've seen the results. Invicta was one of the first to jump on the Sellita wagon. They had so many complaints on the then Evine shopping network that they took $300 off the price and still couldn't sell them despite the fact that they were made at the Sellita factory. I think they all got melted down.
Anyway, I am a died in the wool ETA guy. The day Swatch swallowed them up was a sad day indeed. I knew we were going to have to deal with Sellita sooner or later or else miss out on all of the more affordable Swiss Made watch brands. So I waited patiently, sent some emails, read some articles until I was satisfied that they had debugged the movement.
I am not a big fan of Caliber Corner. But I'm always willing to listen to new info. Why would brands such as Oris and many others use this movement and it's derivatives if it was not technically sound ? You think they didn't run their own tests on it before staking their reputations on it. There are other movements out there. Some have made their own modifications to them which most of the time is nothing but a decorated rotor.
I think these problems were solved with the introduction of the SW200-1. The pictures posted in that article do not look right to me. Despite the movements being clearly marked -1 The metal that the gears are made of look like old SW200. The new ones have a much shinier appearance differing the movement from ETA's dull appearance.
Combined with their proprietary hairspring and not needed but welcome 26th jewel it is my opinion as the owner of about ten of these movements that they have not only equaled the ETA, but surpassed them in performance as well.

Registered
I have gotten into the habit of using my watch winder whenever possible to try to reduce potential damage of hand winding a watch. I apply this to all my watches no matter what movement it has.

Registered
Chazz. I got PO'd with mechanical Automatic and Hand Crankers, packed em up, and gifted every one to a fellow WF.He asked not to divulge his user ID.
But I'm sure you are acquainted with him. Standup guy who gifted me an EcoZilla. My go to watch. Now Im a Seiko VX43, V158, EcoDrive quartzie WF now
I got tired of the terrible accuracy of all of my automatics and manuals. This is now my favorite watch--never take it off--SEIKO solar quartz--more accurate than any Rolex.
Seiko Diver's.JPG

1 - 9 of 9 Posts