Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

There have been threads with tips on trying to protect yourself when buying online. I should also mention that when selling you should also be careful.

Its early in this situation, so I will not mention names.

Recently I have been focusing my collection and have therefore been selling a lot of watches that just dont fit my current desires.

Everything for the most part has been just fine...sell a watch, get an offer, the buyer pays and I send and all is just fine.

Here is my current situation.

I sold a watch to a guy, he paid on the 12th via paypal. I shipped the watch on the 13th.

On the 19th he messaged me wanting to know why the watch had not arrived. I checked the tracking number and suire enough it showed that I had taken to the post office on the 13th, and then nothing. I went to the post office and they were not able to help me.

So, I then apologize to the guy and tell him that he can choose another watch, or I will refund him...his choice of course!!! I dont want anybody to feel at risk when they buy from me, so a refund was an immediate option if that is what he wanted.

He says, go ahead an refund and then if the watch ever showed up he would just pay for it. I refunded him IMMEDIATELY and apologized that the watch was lost in the mail.

Now keep in mind this is the 19th (Thursday) and I refunded right away. Now, over the weekend I work horribly long hours and only get online a very little bit.

Anyways, today is Monday the 23rd and I decide for kicks to check the tracking number and see if there is any information on where the watch may have ended up. WOW WOW WOW...it popped up and was delivered to the buyer on FRIDAY!!!! It took a few more days than expected, but it was delivered.

One problem, no payment was received. I thought, well ok, maybe he just has not had a chance to get online and pay me. I check WG forum and look at his profile...and it shows he was online Saturday night...so when he was online he already had the watch for over 24 hours...no communication from him, no payment...so I may just be out of luck.

I dont care what happens...when I sell or buy, I pay and communicate, I ship and I communicate...and I stay on top of the situation. It is just rude to ignore communicating, rude to not pay in a timely fashion and if it is never paid for, well that is beyond rude....

Its not the money...I mean its not like we are going to starve...but to think that somebody may have taken a watch and figured they could have it for free and get away with it...that just sucks.

I hope I am wrong and if so I will add a post here to say that the guy paid...but I just have a bad feeling.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
imported post

watchcollector1968 wrote:
There have been threads with tips on trying to protect yourself when buying online. I should also mention that when selling you should also be careful.

Recently I have been focusing my collection and have therefore been selling a lot of watches that just dont fit my current desires.

Everything for the most part has been just fine...sell a watch, get an offer, the buyer pays and I send and all is just fine.

I sold a watch to a guy, he paid on the 12th via paypal. I shipped the watch on the 13th.

On the 19th he messaged me wanting to know why the watch had not arrived. I checked the tracking number and suire enough it showed that I had taken to the post office on the 13th, and then nothing. I went to the post office and they were not able to help me.

So, I then apologize to the guy and tell him that he can choose another watch, or I will refund him...his choice of course!!! I dont want anybody to feel at risk when they buy from me, so a refund was an immediate option if that is what he wanted.

He says, go ahead an refund and then if the watch ever showed up he would just pay for it. I refunded him IMMEDIATELY and apologized that the watch was lost in the mail.

Now keep in mind this is the 19th (Thursday) and I refunded right away. Now, over the weekend I work horribly long hours and only get online a very little bit.

Anyways, today is Monday the 23rd and I decide for kicks to check the tracking number and see if there is any information on where the watch may have ended up. WOW WOW WOW...it popped up and was delivered to the buyer on FRIDAY!!!! It took a few more days than expected, but it was delivered.

One problem, no payment was received. I thought, well ok, maybe he just has not had a chance to get online and pay me. I check WG forum and look at his profile...and it shows he was online Saturday night...so when he was online he already had the watch for over 24 hours...no communication from him, no payment...so I may just be out of luck.

I dont care what happens...when I sell or buy, I pay and communicate, I ship and I communicate...and I stay on top of the situation. It is just rude to ignore communicating, rude to not pay in a timely fashion and if it is never paid for, well that is beyond rude....

Its not the money...I mean its not like we are going to starve...but to think that somebody may have taken a watch and figured they could have it for free and get away with it...that just sucks.

I hope I am wrong and if so I will add a post here to say that the guy paid...but I just have a bad feeling.
Congratulate him on it finally arriving (in a vaguely apologetic tone for the delay) and specifically ASK him when he will pay. He may have spent the money and be a little tight but planning to pay... I'd just ask him instead of wondering.

David

·
Registered
922 Posts
imported post

wc - i use Priority Mail all the time. i have had many many many watches i have sent not update online the status. You can NEVER refund anyone until the post office has done their investigation if a watch is really lost. that IS NOT YOUR FAULT and you can not control the mail or mailing service you used. your buyer has to understand that you can not refund until the mailing service has done their investigation.

i have had watches i have sold take way longer then expected and i have had the buyers wait while the mailing company investigated. i communicated the entire time on the phone and via email so the buyer knew i was not bs-ing them. 100% of the time so far the watches eventually showed up (thankfully)

iI hope your situation works out for you. i think the moral is that if you actually sent the watch via one of the established shipping companies (usps, priority mail with tracking, ups, fed ex, etc) and you can prove that you did, then you DO NOT HAVE TO REFUND until the situation has worked its full course and all investigations finished.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I did message him that I noticed the watch arrived...no response.

And you know, if the guy would just say "I spent the money" or "I dont know when I can pay"...or something, anything to avoid making me have to track him down...I would be inclined to say "hey, no worries...just keep it as a gift"

I mean, Kristie and I have been blessed with each other so we are lucky. We also know that sometimes money can be tight, and if we can ever help somebody out then we get great pleasure from that. I mean I would be happy to just give the watch to the guy...I just dont want to be scammed.

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
imported post

argabright wrote:

Congratulate him on it finally arriving (in a vaguely apologetic tone for the delay) and specifically ASK him when he will pay. He may have spent the money and be a little tight but planning to pay... I'd just ask him instead of wondering.

David
That does sound a little disturbing. I would send over Moose and Rocko to ruff him up a little Ha Ha LOL!! WOW!! I hope he follows through on his end of the deal. I hope if he doesn't you will be kind enough to share his name with all of us so that we don't fall Victim to the same scam. I'm thinking of selling some of my collection and I would hate to deal with the same person. Thanks and I hope this gets resolved soon.

·
Registered
91 Posts
imported post

I recently completed a couple of transactions ,where there was no information on the tracking number until the item arrived. The PO is not as responsive with their information as they should be. This is why they will tell you that it should arrive in 2 or 3 days, but sometimes it takes longer than normal. I would contact him and let him know that you are aware he took delivery and ask when he is planning on sending payment. This has never happened to me, but I believe PP will assist you if the customer refuses to pay. Hopefully this will be resolved in a friendly manner. Keep us informed what is going on.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I agree. I sent it priority mail. I did not have to refund, but I know as a buyer that you run the risk of not getting what you paid for. It is just my personal view that I want ANYBODY who deals with me to be completely confident and not have to worry one bit.

I was happy to redund him to put his mind at ease...and I trusted him when he said, "If it shows up I will re-pay for it right away"...im cool with that and I did not want him to be without the money for a watch he did not get in a timely manner.

liquid wrote:
WC - I use Priority Mail all the time. I have had many many many watches I have sent not update online the status. You can NEVER refund anyone until the post office has done their investigation if a watch is really lost. That IS NOT YOUR FAULT and you can not control the mail or mailing service you used. Your buyer has to understand that you can not refund until the mailing service has done their investigation.

I have had watches I have sold take way longer then expected and I have had the buyers wait while the mailing company investigated. I communicated the entire time on the phone and via email so the buyer knew I was not BSing them. 100% of the time so far the watches eventually showed up (thankfully)

I hope your situation works out for you. I think the moral is that if you actually sent the watch via one of the established shipping companies (USPS Priority mail with tracking, UPS, Fed Ex, etc) and you can prove that you did, then you DO NOT HAVE TO REFUND until the situation has worked its full course and all investigations finished.

·
Registered
922 Posts
imported post

do you have his phone number? that is also something i always get. he very well may not have been online (regardless of what it shows on a forum somewhere).

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
imported post

wow this is horrible...I am sorry this person did that to you...I would not let it go...I would make sure I would get my money no matter what...Thats what usually happens when your too nice...Always a bad seed to ruin it for other people...Too many people getting beat....I hope you get your money and please keep us posted WC1968

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
imported post

I'd probably escalate in a few days, letting him know the deadline before you post negative feedback on the transaction. Situations occur, but he needs to "man-up" and face you to make arrangements to rectify this. If not, you are doing a favor to the watch collecting community by NOT letting him do it to someone else. Sorry you are having to deal with this.

David

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
imported post

Man, that sucks! I guess I'm too honest and was raised the right way. I'm not overly trusting either and a simpleton but if someone gives me their word, I take them for what they said at face value. These stories unfortunately are popping up with a little more frequency lately. WC, I hope this gets taken care of, but if it doesn't PLEASE post this guys name so we can all be aware of him!! I'm in the middle of selling some watches and I surely don't want to deal with this guy!

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
imported post

I'm really sorry to read that this has happened!

Is there any recourse through Paypal.com? I realize that this is a situation that is different from most paypal.com claims, but is there an outside chance they could have an positive influence on getting your money?

I realize that I'm "grasping for straws". :)

I hope that you are able to positively resolve the issue ASAP!

·
Registered
6 Posts
imported post

No I do not have his number...but I will remember that. It would be a great to get it!!!
if you have his address and his name, try whitepages.com to find his number

first post andhello to all

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

Hello Ball-Lover - great to see you here and welcome!!

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
imported post

Well Im not sure how long I should wait to name this person. Is it too soon?
Name him....why let him get away with this again...another collector just lost out on his money from another collector who was very well known...You know who im talking about WC1968....We all need to be very careful...

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Well, it looks like I am not going to be paid or contacted...I am out the watch and the money.

Brett (Nojo18) on WG has not responded to me nor paid me.

If I am contacted and there is a resolution to this then I will update this immediately. Until then, I must assume I have been taken advantage of...and that sucks.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
imported post

Well, it looks like I am not going to be paid or contacted...I am out the watch and the money.

Brett (Nojo18) on WG has not responded to me nor paid me.

If I am contacted and there is a resolution to this then I will update this immediately. Until then, I must assume I have been taken advantage of...and that sucks.
I am so sorry this happened to you...You should definitely notify WG's owners and hopefully they can have this resolved for you...Keep your chin up brutha...You are a great person and good will come out of this...Keep us updated please...He will get his trust me..Karma always comes back to bite ya in the azz...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts