Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im sure this idea has been posted before. I was just looking through my photos and found some shots of watches long gone. We all sell or flip watches. Some more then others. Do you ever regret your choice? Thought it would be nice to start this thread and give my reasons why I sold? Whats your story? Do you wish you still had that watch? Happy New year everyone!

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This watch I would have NEVER sold but I did. It was Clemens Of H20 fame first watch he designed. A GMT model with a DLC coating. I purchased it off of a guy in Spain second hand. I sold it because the DLC coating was very easy to scratch and I found it was getting messed up. Do I miss the watch? Yes. Do I regret the sale? Hell No.

·
Registered
390 Posts
If you buy and sell as most of us do I'm sure that everyone regrets one or two transactions but the beauty is that you can always, or should I say usually, go back back and re-buy a watch if you choose.
Happy New Year Freeks!

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Roarry I'm in the same boat.
60+ watches and I haven't sold one.
Passed quite a few to my sons though.

My first attempt to sell one is now ongoing and I'm having zero luck.

Great thread Myke.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I got sick two years ago. The medical bills were incredible, and my insurance is not the best. I had to sell quite a few things, including some very collectible knives, a 1957 Gibson J 45, and some watches
Among the watches I had to sell, was an omega Seamaster GMT, a Vostok GAZ and Shturmanskie 3133 Russian Chrono in mint. I sold some other ones that didn't hurt as badly, but those three really hurt. Especially the Seamaster. It was just so well-made and big and heavy and beautiful crisp. People would notice it and mention it. So far no one has mentioned my Oris diver or my Tissot dive watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the post Brian. Im with you . I love giving watches away to people I love. Especially when they don't expect it.

Roarry I'm in the same boat.
60+ watches and I haven't sold one.
Passed quite a few to my sons though.

My first attempt to sell one is now ongoing and I'm having zero luck.

Great thread Myke.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
So far all the sales I've made put me at a higher level with the watches I own. When choosing the watch to sell I did feel a bit of hesitation /remorse but once sold and the higher level watch was attained, any and all second thoughts quickly disappeared.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
So far all the sales I've made put me at a higher level with the watches I own. When choosing the watch to sell I did feel a bit of hesitation /remorse but once sold and the higher level watch was attained, any and all second thoughts quickly disappeared.
in japanese it is ZEN

in chinese CHAN

in any language it means non attachment

listen to DANNY T

ZEN AND THE ART OF WATCHES

" ATTAIN THE HIGHER LEVEL " :smile-thumb2:

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Sellers remorse?
More times than I wish to think about.
Dec 2015 I flipped 2 of my RR Grade pocketwatches I wore for a zillion years.
Then I realized I was reprising Jack n tha beanstalk. Selling something for
$1,500.00 worth of magic beans!!! My ultimate remorse case.

Too embarrassed to buy em back (if he still has em) Both Hamiltons. 950b and
992b. Boy am I sick or what?

Lou Snutt

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Agree with all
Oh yeah, buying it back from the person you sold it too. Twice recently. Remorse
And opportunity. So many of my friends are flippers I always ask for first right of refusal

And on the going higher in quality... Why that's the purpose I always look to achieve

Many times a trade gives you better leverage. I given away or sold at cost many I kind of wished I had kept.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Danny your the only guy I know who can make money selling a used watch. Remind me not to buy a used watch from you.

·
Administrator
11,415 Posts
Danny your the only guy I know who can make money selling a used watch. Remind me not to buy a used watch from you.

That's pretty common as long as you are careful buying. I haven't lost money on used in a long while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Yes! In 1982 I sold my 1980 Cartier Santos Dumont Carré to my brother. The version with life time warranty with special pass. To this day I still regret this, he certainly doesn't :D

P.S. It's not about the money but just the watch.

Reactions: Myke and Roarry

·
Banned
754 Posts
I don't regret letting go of the SRP227 with Yobokies SS Shroud because it was a no brainer trade and I in new one day I'd get it back.

I got it back in a slightly different version with the SRP637 for 80 le$$ than I paid for the 227. Sold the bracelet and bought Armida bracelet for it.
It's great with any strap though.

It's not going anywhere now.

Reactions: Myke
1 - 20 of 31 Posts