Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Very cool, thanks for sharing! Have seen this before. It helped convince me to purchase the spring drive land master. It's accuracy is phenomenal. I've let it wind down only about 5 times over an 8 month period. It keeps within 1-2 seconds a month so far : )

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very cool, thanks for sharing! Have seen this before and actually own the spring drive land master. It's accuracy is phenomenal. I've let it wind down only about 5 times over an 8 month period. It keeps within 1-2 seconds a month so far : )
That is amazing!

What really impresses me is that it powers itself. No battery. It's damn near a perpetual motion machine when an automatic wind mechanism is added. Mind blown! It has to be one of, if not, the most efficient electrical device on the planet.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Spring Drive is the finest quartz regulated movement made. Since I can't afford one I just picked up a Seiko Kinetic. Way different but it also uses a spinning rotor to generate the electricity required to run.

One day I'll have that Spring Drive though... :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Thanks for the Video.

Some people know my story, but I got burned bad by all of the Swiss cookie cutter hype garbage movements out there based on centuries old fallacy of 'quality' in reality what they turned out to be is nothing more than a con perpetuated on the weak minded and deep pocketed who only care for the sheeple mentality of facade over engineering prowess and 'fit for function' philosophy'

I started my quest to find the BEST WATCH movement possible, while sticking to the mechanical basis and fine craftsmanship as its corner stone. I found what is the Automotive equivalent to a modern Ferrari or Bugatti ............... a mechanical marvel without dispute that has a simple and ingenious 'EFI' brain helping it to be the wonder that it is............ THE SPRING DRIVE. Further it more like a mechanical KERS system as used by Porsche in GT racing and other car makes, where wasted movement energy is captured and converted to potential energy (SPRING), but in the spring drives case there is no chemical reactions and cells to break down or fail, there are no capacitors to blow up after x amount of discharge cycles, it rather uses permanent magnetic fields generated by rare earth magnets located in its rotor and uses 'induction coils' to generate the required electrical power to give the IC its electrical energy to operate (ITS INGENIOUS) and it works! *I am a long time SPRING DRIVE owner*. Nothing is as technically exciting, without mechanical or electrical peer, and as a time piece it stands on top of the world head an shoulders above anything else before it or that will come after. Its a jewel in every way shape and form. And it works! There is more and I could type for hours about it! :)

I soon forgot the other rubbish movements I owned prior, I finally found a true time piece that was mechanical but just like a proper modern car threw away the DIRTY INACCURATE carburetor down the toilet where it always belongs :)

That analogy is apt for the SPRING DRIVE, it meets and exceeds in its pure function of keeping time more than any other mechanical watch, cause just like a good modern car can keep its tune in all conditions the SPRING DRIVE does the same keeping the mechanic marvel at its best the way IMHO a watch should be.

Remember you should not have to stand on your head, shake a leg, point north and pray to hope in vein for your $10,000 watch to not loose or gain seconds a day LOL. This means its a toilet piece a relic that really should be consigned to the failure pile in terms of a 'time piece'.

Get the best, GET a SPRING DRIVE and laugh at the victims who fell for the Swiss con game :)
p.s. when I spoke to Seiko Japan about a couple of my pieces, they were very Frank. They told me the watches are designed to last 100's of years! YES 100's of years!

·
Registered
140 Posts
That is amazing!

What really impresses me is that it powers itself. No battery. It's damn near a perpetual motion machine when an automatic wind mechanism is added. Mind blown! It has to be one of, if not, the most efficient electrical device on the planet.
Correct, no battery, no capacitors, nothing to wear or degrade, the inductions coils will never degrade, nor will the rare earth magnets to generate the electricity....... its a watch made for generations and it mechanical art form at its best, my analogy is the most correct too.

Remember its not a tesla car or a prius with a boot full of batteries LOL, or other rubbish that degrades over time, same with capacitors in Kinetics etc, there is no life cycle limit to the parts on the electrical side, the quartz reference crystal in 1000 years of operation will slow down maybe 1 second a month. But will the world be here then??????????

It will still be 1 trillion times more accurate and more useful as a watch than any one fitted with a 'carburetor' :smile-thumb2:

Reactions: FunkDaLicious

·
Registered
140 Posts
You can't really compare spring drive to a pure mechanical movement. Apples and oranges... :)
That is like saying you cant compare a car with an EFI system v's one with a carburetor ;)

The spring drive gets rid of the inaccurate not fit for purpose rubbish device and replaces it with a superior non wearing no negatives accurate part, that turns it from an expensive CON JOB that cant keep time properly into something that is still a 'CAR' with its mechanical heart, Kinetic energy convertor and energy store via spring, but controls and releases that energy in a proper modern way, with zero negatives at all :)

:smile-thumb2::smile-thumb::smileyface_hand_cla

It's a superior watch and its actually a time piece worthy of keeping time, not a piece of garbage with excuses attached to make you feel better for it being crap at its main purpose....... TIME KEEPING.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Well my solar atomic Casio is even better by your logic! No fussy mechanical parts to wear. Using an old fashion spring to provide power seems very primitive. :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
A 'non mechanical' watch is one where the hands are driven by stepper motors, that is electronic. The SPRING DRIVE is not this, my analogy is best and most accurate, and its one that infuriates the Swiss lovers and proponents of what can only be described as 'donkey technology'

Only Seiko had the brains to turn the watch into a proper device, not an electrical dildo powered machine, but a pure mechanical art form that is accurate and uses simple elegant engineering solution to 'control' the release of its mechanical power house :)

Just as a modern mechanical marvel found in an exotic car is controlled properly NO ONE harks back to the use of a dirty old shitty carburetor LOL. This moronic retarded view is only held by watch people who have been ripped off pay extortion money for a generic SWATCH movement rebranded and flogged off by a tennis player or some wanker flying a chrome aero plane to bolster the HYPE around their donkey items which cant even keep decent time LOL.

SPRING DRIVE !!!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Well my solar atomic Casio is even better by your logic! No fussy mechanical parts to wear. Using an old fashion spring to provide power seems very primitive. :)
Refer my car analogy, I dont like electric cars, as the majority dont too.
I love mechanical items and ones that work well. The SPRING DRIVE appeals to engineers and real watch people who actually like what a watch is meant to do, keep time :) but also be reliable durable last a life time.

I had a tesla roadster in the shop and it was a dildo machine with no character no life, go look at the same car with internal combustion and its a SOUL MACHINE :clapping-hands-abov

SPRING DRIVE wont appeal to many, it will anger MANY (especially people who live with the nightmare of Swiss watch ownership) actually they are getting OWNED alright LOL, cause they paid good money for a mechanical piece that ironically is a cookie cutter piece of crap in a different case endorsed by a different person LOL...... CON JOB :)

SPRING DRIVE

edit: I should disclose I like them?

·
Registered
996 Posts
It keeps time using a quartz crystal. That's not pure mechanical. It's a mechanical/quartz hybrid. So really more like a prius.

·
Registered
140 Posts
It keeps time using a quartz crystal. That's not pure mechanical. It's a mechanical/quartz hybrid. So really more like a prius.
No you are confused.

It is a pure mechanical watch end of [email protected]
Its energy is derived from mechanical capture, its needles that point on its dials are driven by mechanical energy, NOT hybrid energy. So its a mechanical watch.

IT like a good exotic car has its time release CONTROLLED and REGULATED by a quartz crystal and IC that derive their electrical power from conversion of MECHANICAL stored power and is converted into electrical power through magnetic induction, this is an ingenious system in that it uses NON CONTACT electro magnetic forces to not only transfer some of the mechanical energy into the required electricity but ALSO uses that then to act as a brake to slow down the wheel to regulate it to 8hz (8 revs per second)........... It is ingenious and its non wearing, its self feed back system is regulating the mechanical power. Its watch perfection.

The people who talk down the Spring Drive have no idea how it works and are the same people who would try to say a Bugatti Veyron is an electric car cause it has electronics that REGULATE its 1000bhp engine which makes efficient use of the power it makes.

Would you suggest it would be better if all that was taken off and a Holley 650 double pumper was put in its place, would that make it a pure mechanical car LOL????? it would make it *gay* LOL just like every swiss watch that has its genesis in the SWATCH cookie cutter factory LOL.

Spring Drive #1 :smile-thumb2:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Would I take out the proper internals in my Spring drive and replace them with a pallet fork, hair spring and other rubbish parts????

Would I take the starter motor out of my car, put on a crank handle, and stick a holley 650 double pumper onto it, so I can say its pure mechanical?????

If I was retarded I suppose I would then tell everyone how great my car is cause it runs like **** and is a liability :)

·
Registered
996 Posts
I'm not confused. I've read quite a bit about spring drive and understand how it works. I will concede that it displays time in a mechanical fashion. But an integrated circuit controls the electronic brake that controls the rate of the mechanism unwinding. Pretty cool!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm not confused. I've read quite a bit about spring drive and understand how it works. I will concede that it displays time in a mechanical fashion. But an integrated circuit controls the electronic brake that controls the rate of the mechanism unwinding. Pretty cool!
Yep you got it, same as an ECU controls fuel and spark and boost pressure and .......... in a decent car. No one drives a Model T Ford anymore cause its a piece of **** LOL.

The carburetor is the automotive equivalent of the pallet fork, hair spring abortion set up in other mechanical watches, such an archaic device, sure good for 140+ years ago, not good today :)

Give me an ECU anyday, infact I would love it is Seiko could scale up the spring drive to cars so we could do away with the chemical battery altogether as an energy store and just use their spron510 material and start the car with that = no more flat battery and it could power an alarm for 3 days etc :) no there is an idea :)

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Rice Racing - Dude, relax! The Spring Drive is amazing. And still just trashing all the traditional mechanical movement lovers is overkill. From an engineering standpoint a traditional auto is incredible. Just like a 1967 Pontiac GTO is amazing. Would I buy one over a Subaru Impress WRX STI with all it's fancy computer controlled awesomeness? He'll yes (well, depending on price as I'm practical). Because that is still amazing technology. The revs, the vibration, the sheer raw unadulterated and inefficient power are so much fun! And easier to work on. But, if I was going to race and want to win, I'd go STI. One is more pleasure than function, it's that simple. Trashing isn't fair, in fact it's offensive. There is more to it than just accuracy. I love both just the same, and from slightly different perspectives.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 43 Posts