Watch Freeks banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am new to the forum and this is my first time posting anything on any forum. Hoping I am following the ethical procedures well and looking forward to being a part of the community here! :)

So I am now in quite a predicament and was hoping to get some insights from everyone here.

I've recently bought myself the Seiko Blumo, SBDC003, after a long debate within my head about the Blumo or the Shogun. I eventually went with the Blumo mainly because they both use the same 6r15 movement and aesthetically, I thought having a watch face of a different colour would've been nice too. However, a month into it, and I'm getting very affected by its 20mm lug width.

I am now considering getting a Shogun, so I have been on the hunt for the SBDC007 for about a month now, however, I cannot seem to find it anywhere, even 2nd hand pieces, and there are a couple questions in mind about getting the SBDC029.

Firstly, I prefer the the Shogun without the Prospex logo on the face and secondly, I'm wondering if there is any difference between the SBDC007 and SBDC029 besides the the "X" on the face. So far, all the research I've done tells me that there aren't any other differences, but I was hoping to get further insight from you guys on this! :)

Lastly, has anyone ever regretted owning both a Sumo AND a Shogun? Haha.

Thanks everyone in advance for your inputs in this :)

·
1,453 Posts
First there are no differences between the 007 and 029 other than the X that I'm aware of. Second I own both the 007 Shogun, and the newer 033 Blumo and have no problem owning both. Wanted a blue watch and imo there is not a better shade of blue out there. I still see them as completely different watches.

Also welcome!

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Welcome!!!!

Never owned these, but if I decided I needed one of them, I would also HAVE to buy the other.

I'd be torn between my preference for the hands and bezel/insert of the Shogun, and that magnificent blue color of the "Blumo."

So, I think you should just buy the Shogun, too.

What is it about the 20mm bracelet that is "affecting" you?

It's pretty standard for Seiko divers (I think ... ?), and it certainly doesn't look odd or unbalanced.

Does it make the watch feel topheavy to you? You very well might just be thinking about it too much.

How about having some Blumo dress-up fun with some cool NATO straps? That might help to get the lug width off your mind.

·
1,453 Posts
To add to my previous post I don't find the 20mm lug width a problem on the Blumo. Personally I think 22mm would have been overbearing and add weight. I'll say the main reason I got the Blumo was to wear it on the Crafter Blue rubber anyway, but I like the bracelet.

·
Registered
74 Posts
First there are no differences between the 007 and 029 other than the X that I'm aware of. Second I own both the 007 Shogun, and the newer 033 Blumo and have no problem owning both. Wanted a blue watch and imo there is not a better shade of blue out there. I still see them as completely different watches.

Also welcome!
I believe the 029 also has the new Seiko Lumibrite applied (glows brighter longer). Not sure how much difference that would be. The 007 is going to be hard to find as it's out of production now.

Best of luck finding one. Never handled a Shogun but it has a good reputation.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi 59yukon01,

Thanks for the insight! I've ordered a rubber strap from crafter blue as well to use for the Blumo. Got the navy blue strap, should be coming in by next week. Hopefully that makes it better. But it does look a lot better with the rubber strap on from your picture!

Hi #four,

Thanks!

Hi bapackerfan,

Haha. The acquisition syndrome is strong.
The 20mm is affecting me because of how the bracelet looks on it. Looks kinda odd and as it gets smaller, even worse. I'm currently using a NATO strap on it so it looks pretty alright, but I guess I still have a thing for the bracelet look, and I would like to have that option once in awhile and know it's a comfortable wear for me. With the bracelet on, it does make the watch feel a lot more top heavy. The 22mm bracelet looks and feels a lot more comfortable, to me at least. Here's some pictures of it now. Just had the glass changed to a sapphire double dome as well.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
The biggest thing between the Sumo and Shogun is going to be the weight. Since it's Titanium it's super light, and the bracelet can feel cheap even though it isn't.

Great watch you should get one. Here's mine.

Reactions: TheBigBurrito

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi mi6_,
Yeah I read that somewhere too. They're using some new Lumibrite formula which makes it glow brighter and last longer. And thanks! :)

Hi andrema,
Yeah, the Shogun just really calls out to me now. I just feel like I have to get it.

Hi litlmn,
Yeah, I tried on the shogun before and it was like half the weight! I was so surprised by it. Felt so comfortable and just looked so at home. hahahah.
I'm looking out for a good deal on it now! Hoping to find one soon that falls within my budget for it.

Thanks everyone! :)

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,930 Posts
I have owned both of those watches. Ended up flipping both.

The Blumo’s 20mm lug width made the watch feel unbalanced on my wrist, also the flat dull blue dial kind of was a turn off after awhile. The Seiko Turtle PADI with it's 22mm lug bracelet wears infinitely more comfortable.

The Shogun was a really nice watch but the bracelet was just a little too tight for my 8” wrist and ordering a new link was going to almost a month to get, so I sent if back. Nice watch though, although I think a semi-glossy dial would give it a little more class.

If I was to ever get one of the two again, it would probably be the Shogun if I could get an extra link to make it fit. The Sumo PADI looks nice, but after owning the PADI Turtle, it would be hard to go back to the Sumo with it’s unbalanced feel.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I once had a blumo for a couple of days, bought it used and it arrived broken :(. It is a very nice watch, except for the 20mm lugs - that is just not right - for me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey guys, I finally found someone who's selling the SBDC007 and I got super excited about it! But when I got the pictures from him, there's just something about the one of the caseback that's making me feel a bit off. I'm not sure if it's just me and I was hoping to get your opinions on it. Meeting the guy in 2hours for a viewing in person.

Attachments

·
3,979 Posts
All WF's:

Great looking pics and persactily why I belong to this forum!!!!
Kinda a hillbilly way of saying, luv the watches, keep tha pics
a coming.

Lou Snutt

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
59yukon01: thanks for the info! I went to search more on how to check on the serial numbers and got the same info to. Gave me a lot of assurance. But when I went down to take a look at it, I realised it was just the lighting in the photo that made it look a little questionable. But I bought it. Haha.

arogle1stus: haha. Those were the photos given to me from the seller. But now I've bought the watch and I was just waiting till I had the time to change to the sapphire crystal before sharing the pictures here! So....here they are :)

Attachments

·
1,453 Posts
59yukon01: thanks for the info! I went to search more on how to check on the serial numbers and got the same info to. Gave me a lot of assurance. But when I went down to take a look at it, I realised it was just the lighting in the photo that made it look a little questionable. But I bought it. Haha.

arogle1stus: haha. Those were the photos given to me from the seller. But now I've bought the watch and I was just waiting till I had the time to change to the sapphire crystal before sharing the pictures here! So....here they are :)
Congrats! Wearing mine today as well.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts