Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm thinking about buying this. It's a poor mans Grand Seiko. Has a nice champagne dial. Retails for about $675.00 roughly. I want it on a bracelet oppose to the leather band that it is shown with. Has a nice self winding in house hacking movement. Super excited on this one. I'm just struggling to find a decent retailer to buy from as I'm all up on how easy it is to claim my warranty. (Story of the Steinhart warranty, I have a thread started) I prefer to purchase from an actual store in person or an online authorized dealer that will offer the warranty for me to claim from Seiko if need be. Ordering online has me hesitant cause I don't want to pay the duty. I had to pay $130CDN for my Steinhart on the duty and now I'm not so sure it was that worth it.

It has a solid 6R15 movement. Any one have this movement or thoughts on this movement? Allegedly it is a 15+\- a day.

Photos taken from the Internet.

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
Seiko "Cocktail Time", movement is the same as the Sumo and many other mid-tier Seiko's. Fantastic movement, the last 6R15 I had was pretty consistently 5 seconds fast/day on the wrist.

I've found, at least here in the US, that if shipped through EMS I have yet to be hit with duty fee's. FedEx I get hit by them every time.

If you order from a Japanese AD, Seiko will honor the warranty. I recommend Seiya or Higutchi from personal experience, but there are others as well.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Ganson! I saw Seiya and I was a little weary of their reputation. If I get it shipped without duty I'll be so happy. It's by no means a cheap watch. Or an adhesive watch either. I think it would be a good first Seiko for me.

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
Funny. Mine is waiting at home. Just landed today.
Cavy wait to see the dial :)

Seiya is good to go IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkblahblahah

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i dont understand how this one comes with a hard led crystal yet the 017 and 033 come with a sapphire crystal. Same identical watch basically. Different dial. I don't know about the leather band. I'm more of a bracelet kind of guy. I do have to say my taste as switched. I can't believe I'm buying a non diver. But eh. I'm in a suit Monday- Friday. And this bad boy I can wear in the water. Maybe not with the leather. I guess it may be time to place an order.

·
Registered
335 Posts
The 017 and 033 are 38mm 065 is 40mm. It's $365 US at Amazon, easy to buy, easy to return at least within the US.

I've never seen a Seiko bracelet that fits the case without endlink modification, but it's a strap watch anyway. Beautiful on a honey brown or cognac gator.

Sent via mobile

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I reuse to buy anything on Amazon unless it comes from amazons directly. I've been shafted by two different "online stores" who sell through Amazon. And I just gave up dealing with the bs.

I know hardlex is stronger than sapphire but scratches easier than sapphire. Anyone has issues with hardlex scratching from a quick bump?

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
I know hardlex is stronger than sapphire but scratches easier than sapphire. Anyone has issues with hardlex scratching from a quick bump?
It has usually taken me quite a lot of abuse to ever put a scratch on my hardlex crystals. The only one I have at the moment with any marks is a 8 year old Seiko SBBN007 Tuna, and it has a couple very light scuffs on the domed hardlex. I had thought about replacing it when the time comes with sapphire, but at this point will likely use an OEM crystal since it has performed so wall over the years AND I love the look of the dome on it.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Gino:
Any day you see Lou Snutt shunning a SARB it'll be raining anvils.
6R15 is a great engine IMO (and appearently considered so by tha
Bros in tha know as well!!!)
Add one more proviso re: Amazon.
Use only the one day delivery at the Zon. Learn't that by experience.

Lou Snutt

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
I've never seen a Seiko bracelet that fits the case without endlink modification, but it's a strap watch anyway.
That is somewhat true with models with folded end-links, but I have never had an issue with any of my Seiko's that featured solid-end links (and I have had quite a few!).

·
Registered
335 Posts
That is somewhat true with models with folded end-links, but I have never had an issue with any of my Seiko's that featured solid-end links (and I have had quite a few!).

Was speaking only of the SARB065. There's no bracelet for it as far as I know.

Sent via mobile

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well. I think I've asked the possible questions I can ask. Seiya Japan has them on sale for $312 with free EMS shipping. Looking at under $400 even if I get hit with duties. So I think it's time.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Higuchi's website is terrible! Must be an overseas thing, I just can't understand it.... Seiya is much better, when they have them available. Oh how I wish they'd just make them all available here in the US.....

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I order my car parts from Japan. Why not watches. Anything from Japan is better. I love the search.

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
Higuchi's website is terrible! Must be an overseas thing, I just can't understand it.... Seiya is much better, when they have them available. Oh how I wish they'd just make them all available here in the US.....
Agreed, his website sucks, but his service is fantastic and prices are reasonable.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I order my car parts from Japan. Why not watches. Anything from Japan is better. I love the search.

Beautiful piece. Looks fab on leather IMO. Nice choice Gino, if you go for it.
As for "Anything from Japan is better" uh, I dunno, I hear those Swiss folks make some pretty darn nice watches. :D I'm partial to Harley-Davidsons as well, having two sleeping for the winter.

Best of luck Gino in you acqisition.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I reuse to buy anything on Amazon unless it comes from amazons directly. I've been shafted by two different "online stores" who sell through Amazon. And I just gave up dealing with the bs.

I have a 1981 Seiko 6309 with a hardlex crystal and it only has one very very small scratch after years of use and diving, including army field time and weight room use.

I too love and want to get an SARB 065 and I get nailed by duty as a Canadian every time I purchase from the US and the FedEx the package. USPS I never get nailed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When I got into this hobby I was all about the Swiss. Now well I'm all about the JDM lol. I don't know why. I'm so JDM, I sleep on the right side of the bed. (Car jokes, haha). Just after what happened with my Steinhart put a bitter taste in my mouth.

So I have to wait till Thursday to purchase. If the meeting at the bank goes well for the mortgage, my wife will support the decision to purchase. I will also look into getting a lighter brown alligator strap with hopefully blue stitching to go with that beautiful dial.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts