Watch Freeks banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day,

Does anyone here own the mini turtle? If so I'd like to get your thoughts on it. Thanks. Here's a photo.

Seiko-Mini-Turtle-SRPC37K1-8.jpg

·
Registered
147 Posts
I own this one. I love it, I would definitely buy it again if something happened to this one.

I swapped the bezel out for this Yobokies one. Visit the Yobokies website and you will see various parts you can play around with if you want to change something up.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I own this one. I love it, I would definitely buy it again if something happened to this one.

I swapped the bezel out for this Yobokies one. Visit the Yobokies website and you will see various parts you can play around with if you want to change something up.
Nice watch. How did you end up with that dial color? Did you customize that as well?

·
Registered
147 Posts
It’s a mini turtle in the Seiko Zimbe line, I got it used off watch recon.
It comes in a green or yellow dial, it’s more expensive then the regular mini turtle.
Yobokies has various mods in dials, hands, bezels and chapter rings for the mini turtle. You could look through his site and see if there are any mods you would want to try.
I watched a few YouTube videos on a bezel mod before I tried it. There are some guys on here who do in depth Seiko mods that you could reach out to if you had questions.

·
Registered
22 Posts
hi trip,

what a seriously cool bezel insert! i guess great minds think alike, i've ordered a stainless steel bezel insert from harold for my yellow zimbe too, partly because the black/yellow stock insert is a bit garish compared to the rest of the design,
but also because if i choose to ever sell the watch, the original insert will be pristine. so i consider it to be a favor
done for the watch's next owner, should it come to that ( actually, i love this dial so much, i doubt i'll ever sell it.)

i find the stock mini-turtle dials to be a bit ugly, and the hour indices look too much like tombstones, to me. so i modded one of mine, which i call "mini-007" to look like this...i would love to find a kanji datewheel for this beauty
should that be possible, for the time being i'm settling for this chinese one...i have carved the case on this watch to remove those egregious tail fins, to me, this is transforming a buick into a jaguar xke....

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hi trip,

what a seriously cool bezel insert! i guess great minds think alike, i've ordered a stainless steel bezel insert from harold for my yellow zimbe too, partly because the black/yellow stock insert is a bit garish compared to the rest of the design,
but also because if i choose to ever sell the watch, the original insert will be pristine. so i consider it to be a favor
done for the watch's next owner, should it come to that ( actually, i love this dial so much, i doubt i'll ever sell it.)

i find the stock mini-turtle dials to be a bit ugly, and the hour indices look too much like tombstones, to me. so i modded one of mine, which i call "mini-007" to look like this...i would love to find a kanji datewheel for this beauty
should that be possible, for the time being i'm settling for this chinese one...i have carved the case on this watch to remove those egregious tail fins, to me, this is transforming a buick into a jaguar xke.... View attachment 129937
Looks very nice!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Thanks peterr
I actually swapped out the whole bezel. Yobokies had one and I didn’t want to take a chance on scratching the insert, so I just did a whole bezel swap.
The bezel isn’t as smooth as the original, but it isn’t awful.
I went with Yobokies because it is an engraved bezel, some out there aren’t and they scratch easily.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks peterr
I actually swapped out the whole bezel. Yobokies had one and I didn’t want to take a chance on scratching the insert, so I just did a whole bezel swap.
The bezel isn’t as smooth as the original, but it isn’t awful.
I went with Yobokies because it is an engraved bezel, some out there aren’t and they scratch easily.
i was so happy just to see that they give you two places on the underside of the dial where you can get your
case knife right in there and just pop it right out...it seems like a watch that was made to be modded, and yet we had to wait a couple of years just to find some bezel inserts. as you'll see from the photos, i had to use a citizen ny-0040
insert ( cost: $9.00 :) as it was all that would fit, that i could find, anyway.

i wish someone would put out a 3-0'clock crown case that looked like a doxa ( you reading this, crystatimes?)
i bought a 6106-8510 case from europe that i'm still waiting on for delivery as a suitable one for a soxa mod.
i got a yellow soxa dial, and hands, from dagaz, and i'm just waiting and waiting for this case to make it through the mail, but it's one of the few that are skx/6309 compatible. damn fool thing won't really be waterproof when i'm
done, though.

here are some more modded mini-turtle photos:

·
Registered
22 Posts
i should also add, lest you be horrified that i've modded a zimbe, i modified a stock mini-turtle, and put the zimbe
case and bezel away for safe-keeping. the zimbe dial, hands and chapter ring are essentially in a time capsule,
so i can restore my zimbe to new anytime i like. but, i like it better this way, with the stupid tail fins erased.

if you agree, all it takes is a file, some fine wet/dry sandpaper, and inherent trust in the law of averages, which i invoke when i take a file to a watch. i do have an mfa in sculpture, so i've been carving and shaping things for many decades
now, and i don't see any difficulty in accomplishing these mods. but if anyone wants to send me a turtle case, i'll mod it for you for free, i find the work to be quite relaxing, and it only takes an hour or two.

·
Registered
147 Posts
i should also add, lest you be horrified that i've modded a zimbe, i modified a stock mini-turtle, and put the zimbe
case and bezel away for safe-keeping. the zimbe dial, hands and chapter ring are essentially in a time capsule,
so i can restore my zimbe to new anytime i like. but, i like it better this way, with the stupid tail fins erased.

if you agree, all it takes is a file, some fine wet/dry sandpaper, and inherent trust in the law of averages, which i invoke when i take a file to a watch. i do have an mfa in sculpture, so i've been carving and shaping things for many decades
now, and i don't see any difficulty in accomplishing these mods. but if anyone wants to send me a turtle case, i'll mod it for you for free, i find the work to be quite relaxing, and it only takes an hour or two.
I’m not horrified, I’m impressed with your skill. I may be contacting you on a future mod, if I can find the dial I’m looking for.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I’m not horrified, I’m impressed with your skill. I may be contacting you on a future mod, if I can find the dial I’m looking for.
sure trip, it'd be a fine thing to make these watches some kin around the country. the thing is to be sure you're really gonna love it, because reselling them always means taking a hit financially. so it's worth it if you're happy with it,
but we're not always, at which point recouping a little of what we've put into it is the best we can do.

i see ads sometimes where the seller says he just wants to get back what he put into it, and that always makes me
laugh pretty hard :)

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
hi trip,

should that be possible, for the time being i'm settling for this chinese one...i have carved the case on this watch to remove those egregious tail fins, to me, this is transforming a buick into a jaguar xke.... View attachment 129937
Did you get the hand set from Harold? I like them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Did you get the hand set from Harold? I like them.
oo7 hands were from yobokies, orange dagaz i believe is dagaz hands, snowflake hands in black dagaz dial mod are dagaz i believe. dagaz and yobokies are very similar in quality, i use them both, and often have no way to remember or tell where they came from. i also like these dragonshroud hands on a 6309...

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i was so happy just to see that they give you two places on the underside of the dial where you can get your
case knife right in there and just pop it right out...it seems like a watch that was made to be modded, and yet we had to wait a couple of years just to find some bezel inserts. as you'll see from the photos, i had to use a citizen ny-0040
insert ( cost: $9.00 :) as it was all that would fit, that i could find, anyway.

i wish someone would put out a 3-0'clock crown case that looked like a doxa ( you reading this, crystatimes?)
i bought a 6106-8510 case from europe that i'm still waiting on for delivery as a suitable one for a soxa mod.
i got a yellow soxa dial, and hands, from dagaz, and i'm just waiting and waiting for this case to make it through the mail, but it's one of the few that are skx/6309 compatible. damn fool thing won't really be waterproof when i'm
done, though.

here are some more modded mini-turtle photos:

View attachment 129942 View attachment 129943 View attachment 129944 View attachment 129945
What's the mod in the second photo from the top?

·
Registered
22 Posts
What's the mod in the second photo from the top?
i carved the case. i take the tail fins off of these things, i am just not a fan of tail fins. that was a brushed, or sandpapered, finish but it has since been bead-blasted, and actually, i have an 007 dial in there so now it looks like this:

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i carved the case. i take the tail fins off of these things, i am just not a fan of tail fins. that was a brushed, or sandpapered, finish but it has since been bead-blasted, and actually, i have an 007 dial in there so now it looks like this:

View attachment 130460
Looks fantastic!!! Very impressive!!!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
not a hard mod, i'd be happy to talk you through it, it's just non-electric hand tools and the law of averages....
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Haven't bought the mini turtle yet.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts