Watch Freeks banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Seiko LaSalle that I bought about 30 years ago. At that time one of the thinnest quartz watches at 3.5mm case thickness. It's 18k gold with a lizard strap.
I wear it rarely, actually, hasn't been worn for about 12 years. Maybe more. Of course the battery has long ceased to work. About 15 years ago I did a tune up that cost me $160. A considerable amount for that time.
Anyway, I don't know why, but I've never noticed that - - - it has no second hand. I'm thinking, would Seiko make a watch without a second hand?
How rare is that for *any* watch to not have a second hand?
Sure would like to know. But I doubt if anyone at Seiko could help as not that many people are familiar with that model.
Thanks
EL

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I am not what anyone could consider a Seiko expert. Many here are.
It's not uncommon for a watch to be a 2 hander. More so for women's watches.

Best to defer to others in the know. Answers will be forthcoming!

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
It is less rare than you think, some of the most elegant watches come without a second hand:

Jaeger LeCoultre has a watch with just an hour and minute hand as well. On your Seiko it is most certainly per design.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jason, thanks, it does look a little more elegant without the seconds hand. And by golly, I went straight to my two Movados, and sure enough, neither have second hands. lol, I've had one for about 25 years and another for about 15 and I had never noticed the absence of seconds hand.
Shows how observant I am, lol. I'd make a lousy eye witness.
EL

·
Registered
28 Posts
Lassale (note the peculiar spelling) was acquired by Seiko in the 70's. My example was similar to yours but with a white dial. Because the Lassale was primarily a dress watch, the absence of a second hand was not uncommon. Do a quick image search on Google. Mine was very unreliable despite repeated services by Seiko. After spending much more than it was worth on repairs, I tossed it in a drawer at some point and lost track of it over the years.

More here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Lassale

1 - 8 of 8 Posts