Watch Freeks banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

It finally got here! And I could not be happier. It is amazing how you feel when a real substantial watch arrives and it does not dissapoint. This is one bad a s s watch!

One of the watches at the very top of my "want" list is now mine - the Seiko Kinetic Diver, model #SKA383P1.

Now some details.

I purposely wore my classic Invicta black Grand Diver today because of its 47mm size and so I would be able to compare the 2 watches when the Seiko arrived. The GD is one of my all time favorite watches. As you will see the Seiko compares nicely in the width of the watch. Where it is much more substantial is in the height of the case AND the overall detailing and styling of the watch.

The bracelet is really nice and hard to describe how it squares off against the case in an almost 90 degree angle. Really "boxes in" the case. Everything is screw down and the bezel's movement is really smooth, but also very tight when turning. Feels well made, NO rattle anywhere. Solid.

Looking at the watch is like looking at a football stadium. The depth from the outside edge of the bezel to the dial is incredible. It just seems to sink and sink until it reaches the dial. The little lines on the inner bezel ring add to the "stadium" feel illusion. And finally the LUM on this watch is as bright as any I own, comparable to my Citizen Orca, but few other watches I currently own.

I want to add this before I list the watch specs and pictures. I highly recommend everyone checks out the Born 2 Watch Ebay store, which is owned by Robert. He was EXCELLENT to work with and REALLY easy to communicate with (very quick email responses and answers). He has a lot of Citizen and Seiko watches as well as a bunch of others. You can contact him directly through his listings on his store at http://stores.ebay.com/born2watch?_rdc=1

# GENERATES AND STORES ELECTRIC POWER TO OPERATE ITSELF USING THE MOVEMENT OF THE USER'S HAND
# 6 MONTH POWER RESERVE ON A FULL CHARGE
# ENERGY DEPLETION FOREWARNING FUNCTION
# INSTANT START FUNCTION
# POWER RESERVE INDICATOR BUTTON AT 2 OCLOCK POSITION
# NO BATTERIES EVER REQUIRED
# BLACK DIAL
# DAY CALENDAR WINDOW AT 3 O'CLOCK
# LUMINOUS HANDS AND HOUR MARKERS
# UNI-DIRECTIONAL RATCHETING BEZEL WITH ELAPSED TIME MARKERS
# SCREW-DOWN STAINLESS STEEL BACK COVER
# SCREW LOCK CROWN AND RESERVE TESTER BUTTON
# 200m WATER RESISTANT
# 100% SOLID STAINLESS STEEL
# POLISHED/BRUSHED STEEL FINISH
# SQUEEZE- RELEASE SAFETY CLASP WITH DIVER WETSUIT EXTENSION
# SOLID STEEL LINKS
# HARDENED HARDLEX CRYSTAL
# CASE DIAMETER IS 46mm EXCLUDING BUTTONS BY 14.5mm HIGH
# FITS WRISTS UP TO 9"
# WEIGHS 7.3oz (206g)

And the unboxing pics. There are a lot of them.

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
imported post

Beautiful. I was waiting for you to get some pictures of this one up. It is another great watch from Seiko. Wear it is good health....

A Kinetic is certainly on my list for a future purchase as is a Spring Drive.

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
imported post

Very cool Seiko James. Great review on this one too. You will love the Kinetic movement. It doesn't sweep like an automatic, but it is as accurate as a quartz. That thing will run forever. I love the color choice you selected. Those things are built like tanks. Enjoy it my friend and wear it in good health.

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
imported post

Finally! Nice review James and better yet, the watch!!
So it is 46mm across and 49mm at the crown, nice to finally get some accurate inf from a Seiko sale LOL....

I really like it a lot! Well, it's going on the damn list %$#@%!!!!!

CK

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

You got a list? F that, if I made a list I would be so foggin broke, I would be ridin public transportation to work!

Seattle wrote:
So it is 46mm across and 49mm at the crown, nice to finally get some accurate inf from a Seiko sale LOL....

CK

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
imported post

Yup! Got a list.....means very little cause you're right, it should be called the "I'd go broke trying to fullfill list".....LOL.
It's purely a wish list...so I don't forget model numbers etc. after I win the Powerballl..............wait, ya gotta but tickets for that huh??? Damn!!:madd:madd

CJ

RipitRon wrote:
You got a list? F that, if I made a list I would be so foggin broke, I would be ridin public transportation to work!

Seattle wrote:

CK

·
Premium Member
25,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Thank you everyone. Going to size it today when I get home and take some more pics!

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
imported post

Congrats, James! I appreciate your comparison to the GD, as that's something I can use to help visualize your review.

It sounds like you are very pleased! It's a great looking diver! I look forward to your updates on accuracy, and how much FUN you're having with it!

ENJOY!

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

I have 4 Seiko's and i have to say that most all their dials and dial depth's are stunning and all of them have awesome lume

no need for a TV show or exclamations of Granduer required here - their rep speaks for itself

TVDinner wrote:
Looking at the watch is like looking at a football stadium. The depth from the outside edge of the bezel to the dial is incredible. It just seems to sink and sink until it reaches the dial. The little lines on the inner bezel ring add to the "stadium" feel illusion. And finally the LUM on this watch is as bright as any I own, comparable to my Citizen Orca, but few other watches I currently own.
just a few pics of my seiko's

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
imported post

I've said it before and I'll say it again. "Seiko continues to impress with their design, style and quality". Very nice pieces George.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
imported post

That's a great looking Seiko James!! Love the comparison to the Invicta Pro-Diver. Really like the inner ring and hands on this Seiko. Also, post a pic of the lume when you get the opportunity. Wear it well!!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
imported post

VERY nice!! I love the looks of the watch but the bracelet leaves a little to be esired for me anyway. I love the "old style" classic look to it. It looks like a nice big and beefy piece too. CONGRATS and wear it in good health!

·
Premium Member
25,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
imported post

Suz56 wrote:
Nice watch. I'm glad you are happy.

Susie
This is the same one you just got right?
Just wanted to make sure because of the size question.

:)

·
Registered
640 Posts
imported post

Yes, it's the same watch. Maybe I look at things in a different way, but because it is smaller in diameter than the Grand Diver, and even barely equals the Ocean Reef, which Jim refers to as 45-46 mm, I don't see it as being a "legit 49mm" which is what you asked me about. That's all I was saying. Of course it is much thicker and that does make it substantial. I was mistaken when I guessed 43 to 44mm, but when I'm guessing the mm's of a watch I'm comparing it to other watches. The way I see it, the GrandDiver must be bigger than 47 and the Ocean Reef must be bigger than 45-46 if this watch is a "legit 49". To go from 45mm to 49 by adding the crown seems like a huge crown, which this watch doesn't have. I see the Subaqua as being 50mm, which is what they call it on air and this watchappears to bemuch smaller in diameter.

I certainly didn't mean to offend or upset you which I kind of felt at the time like I did,and maybe the smaller dial opening had something to do with my perception of it. It was my honest take on the size of this watch and when I look at your pictures, the Grand Diver still looks bigger to me.I was just saying.

:wf

Istill think you have good taste in watches!

Susie

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.