Watch Freeks banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done quite a few projects this year however only a couple are for keeping. Not that I don't like the other ones but I just can't keep them all. I have to allow for a certain number of pieces in and out to keep a reasonable number with me without overflowing all over.

Of course part of doing these is that my projects are simply my own personal view and preference on what I like in watches. Even if I make a small tweak I still customize whatever watch to my own liking. This particular project has been in progress for quite some time, actually I got the parts a couple of years ago and installed them in another watch, although it was great, I was not satisfied and patiently waited until I could find a case I could be happier with.

After trying a number of cases patience was actually wearing thin... I tried a few options but I did not like the result. Finally, I acquired the watch below, originally a 62MAS from one of the Chinese companies, I already had one and was happy with it. It is well made, solid, drilled through lugs, nice size, ceramic bezel and domed crystal which feels solid and nice.

I was actually unconvinced at first mostly because I did not think the shape etc. would work. But I decieded to go ahead and try. I actually like the result. I think that it came out really nice and in fact so nice that I am keeping it even if I have to bump off another one of my keepers...
:grin:

The dial is OEM Seiko, blue sunburst which changes color with the light. The hands are also Seiko from another model. The movement is Seiko as well hacking and hand winding.

Here are a few pics.

IMG_4284.jpg
IMG_4285.jpg
IMG_4286.jpg
IMG_4287.jpg
IMG_4288.jpg
IMG_4289.jpg
IMG_4290.jpg
IMG_4291.jpg
IMG_4292.jpg
IMG_4313.jpg

·
Watch Freek
766 Posts
I have done quite a few projects this year however only a couple are for keeping. Not that I don't like the other ones but I just can't keep them all. I have to allow for a certain number of pieces in and out to keep a reasonable number with me without overflowing all over.

Of course part of doing these is that my projects are simply my own personal view and preference on what I like in watches. Even if I make a small tweak I still customize whatever watch to my own liking. This particular project has been in progress for quite some time, actually I got the parts a couple of years ago and installed them in another watch, although it was great, I was not satisfied and patiently waited until I could find a case I could be happier with.

After trying a number of cases patience was actually wearing thin... I tried a few options but I did not like the result. Finally, I acquired the watch below, originally a 62MAS from one of the Chinese companies, I already had one and was happy with it. It is well made, solid, drilled through lugs, nice size, ceramic bezel and domed crystal which feels solid and nice.

I was actually unconvinced at first mostly because I did not think the shape etc. would work. But I decieded to go ahead and try. I actually like the result. I think that it came out really nice and in fact so nice that I am keeping it even if I have to bump off another one of my keepers...

The dial is OEM Seiko, blue sunburst which changes color with the light. The hands are also Seiko from another model. The movement is Seiko as well hacking and hand winding.

Here are a few pics.

View attachment 133842 View attachment 133843 View attachment 133844 View attachment 133845 View attachment 133846 View attachment 133847 View attachment 133848 View attachment 133849 View attachment 133850 View attachment 133851
That's a great job

·
Watch Freek
540 Posts
Even if they made what you want, would you want to pay the ridiculous price?

Seiko has priced me out of the picture.
Unfortunately, this seems to be a common theme. Zenith did this between the El Primero Stratos and the Defy 21 (doubled in price), and even the likes Seiko and even Steinhart are going up up up in price for their newer releases (so much so, that they are approaching prices of lesser appreciated "previously owned" big brand Swiss watches).

Such is the way with things in the world, unfortunately. I'm still liking the Vostoks though :)

·
Watch Freek
540 Posts

Here are a few pics.

View attachment 133842 View attachment 133843 View attachment 133844 View attachment 133845 View attachment 133846 View attachment 133847 View attachment 133848 View attachment 133849 View attachment 133850 View attachment 133851
Very nice!

·
Super Moderator
11,856 Posts
Ooh awesome Carlo ! o_O👀(y)(y)

Am trying to think of how this watch could be better, or nicer,
and honestly can’t. 😀 All of your ideas always seem to work
to be completely honest. And I think it has to do with two things
Carlo. ..One, you have been around the hobby, and just know
watches so well, and the way things are supposed to be. Then
two, you actually have the talent to do what your mind has in
mind. 😄 😉

Actually love hearing how you have had this watch in the works
for a couple years. ..That right there, shows that you were more
interested in building the perfect watch, than just building any
watch. And that might be another key to why your ideas always
seem to work. The fact that you took your time, and didn’t rush.

Which is what I think any big brand tends to do. Rush watch
after watch out to the public, but it can get monotonous right?!
Rather than magical, like it should be, and is with this latest
looker of yours. 🏆:D Holy cowza Carlo, remarkable stuff !!!
Thank you so very very much for sharing your passion with
us !!!

·
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the kind words.

Some time it happens that I get a watch or some part that I want to use for a project, and due to the fact that I don't have all the needed parts, I end up putting the part and the idea aside for later. Yes, I do mock up how the watch will look in the end and what kind of result I want to get. So when I finally put the parts together I can see the actual mock up in the steel... :)

I am particularly happy with this one for that reason, I have waiting quite some time and I am actually glad I did. (y)

·
Oris Freek
3,391 Posts

Here are a few pics.

View attachment 133842 View attachment 133843
Gotta tell you Carlowe. I think this is some of your finest work ever.🤯 Does it have the monocoque case ? Let me know if you want to sell it...😛

·
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you again.

No, the case is regular, with a screw in caseback.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Seiko may not be making the watch you want, but Sinn is.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts