Watch Freeks banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Seiko SUP896 arrived, what a sweet little dress watch this is, reminds me of my relatives solid gold Bulova and Hamilton dress watches from the 50’s. From the 28mm case width I thought the watch was going to wear smaller, but the rectangular shape fills out on my 8” wrist. Much to my surprise the strap fit, albeit on the last hole at the end. The watch is light, thin and extremely classy looking, it’s definitely a keeper.

It’s 50mm WR and Seiko even says it’s suitable for light swimming, so with nice Perlon strap, this baby maybe ready for pool time as well!

Oh, and it’s Solar so no battery changes.

20200731_130140_resized by Charles Ford, on Flickr

·
Registered
402 Posts
The Seiko SUP896 arrived, what a sweet little dress watch this is, reminds me of my relatives solid gold Bulova and Hamilton dress watches from the 50’s. From the 28mm case width I thought the watch was going to wear smaller, but the rectangular shape fills out on my 8” wrist. Much to my surprise the strap fit, albeit on the last hole at the end. The watch is light, thin and extremely classy looking, it’s definitely a keeper.

It’s 50mm WR and Seiko even says it’s suitable for light swimming, so with nice Perlon strap, this baby maybe ready for pool time as well!

Classy looking watch!!! My Seiko Solar was inexpensive and is extremely accurate. Congratulations!!

·
Super Moderator
9,953 Posts
Sweet, really does seem like the perfect adjective here
Chaz, and yowza, it fits perfect too ! 😀(y) It really does
have that amazing 50’s feel, and looks like it could get
mistaken for an actual classic from the time. 😮 Just the
tone of the gold, along with combo with this strap is
gorgeous, and fun to see. We don’t see watches like
this enough nowadays !

Wishing you a GIANT congrats, and hope you enjoy both
the watch, and the pool !!! 😎

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
That's a nice one Chaz. I too am finally jumping on the solar train lately.
Long while ago I had a similar gap to fill. Just like you said previous when I was younger, I always remember my Father and his friends with their rectangular watches playing cards, talking Italian. Mostly Bulova's. So one day I stumbled on this watch on the bay. Brought back a lot of memories. Gets a ride once in a while. Mostly weddings and funerals.

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a nice one Chaz. I too am finally jumping on the solar train lately.
Long while ago I had a similar gap to fill. Just like you said previous when I was younger, I always remember my Father and his friends with their rectangular watches playing cards, talking Italian. Mostly Bulova's. So one day I stumbled on this watch on the bay. Brought back a lot of memories. Gets a ride once in a while. Mostly weddings and funerals.

Nice one, is it quartz?

Reactions: forzaferrari

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice smart looking Seiko, however, taking that into the pool might be the first and last time you do that.
Right off the Amazon site for this watch.

• Solar-powered square watch featuring logoed dial with gold-tone hands and stick indices
  • 28.1 mm stainless steel case with Hardlex dial window
  • Quartz movement with analog display
  • Croc-textured calfskin band with buckle closure
  • Water-resistant to 50 m (165 ft): In general, suitable for short periods of recreational swimming, but not diving or snorkeling

Reactions: rh747m

·
Registered
402 Posts
Right off the Amazon site for this watch.

• Solar-powered square watch featuring logoed dial with gold-tone hands and stick indices
  • 28.1 mm stainless steel case with Hardlex dial window
  • Quartz movement with analog display
  • Croc-textured calfskin band with buckle closure
  • Water-resistant to 50 m (165 ft): In general, suitable for short periods of recreational swimming, but not diving or snorkeling
Would you actually swim with it? Not sure I'd trust the Amazon description. I would have to see that statement corroborated in the Seiko owner's manual. That's just me though.

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I took my latest Bulova dress watch which is 30m WR, in the pool, no problemo!

Reactions: rh747m

·
Registered
402 Posts
I took my latest Bulova dress watch which is 30m WR, in the pool, no problemo!
Not a risk I'm willing to take. I love to swim and snorkel in the ocean but a watch has to be at least 100m and have a screw down crown for me to swim with it. My Hamilton KFM is rated at 50m with no screw down crown and I'm told it's OK for swimming but why take the chance when I have several real dive watches that are rated 200m or more.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I think I'd mount a clock poolside and skip the watches. BTW the Seiko solar is nice, I've never owned a rectangular or tonneau style case.

·
Registered
241 Posts

Very nice!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts