Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well the Shogun is out, and the Sumo has landed.

1st impressions, well this is my first stainless steel Seiko mechanical. Number one plus, the bracelet fits right out of the box, just had to change the micro-adjustments out to the last hole, but it now fits my 8” wrist perfectly, where the Shogun didn’t.

Watch has a fit and finish that is way above it’s $400. price tag, the blue dial and bezel are a deep Royal Blue that only really looks blue in direct sunlight. This makes the watch much more versatile, while wearing different colored clothing.

The watch is heavy, yet rides well on the wrist. I tired to put a Strapcodes 20mm mesh bracelet on the watch, but the end link wouldn’t’ fit in between the lugs and the lug pushpins were too large for them to fit in???
With these large pushpins, what straps and bracelets can fit this watch??

I really, really like this watch, much more then the Shogun, which is too much a Sub homage for me. I never really paid much attention to Seiko Mechanicals. I am pleasantly surprised how high of a quality they are.
BTW. The new BLUMO is running +4 seconds a day.

Oh, and the lume, the best I have ever seen, lights up like a Christmas tree and stay lit throughout the night! Blows the lume on my Sinn U1 out of the water!

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Chaz:
Jus don't leave that Sumo where I can purloin it.
So awesome Dude! Larceny runs in my fambly.
Parents are in the Iron & Steel bizness
Mom Irons and Dad Steels

X traindriver Art

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
nice BLUMO CM

keep on pulling that trigger like BILLY THE KID-

good honest watch skinny-GOOD-BAD-UGLY- ( CHAZ aint no stinkin' cheer leader )

keep on posting and may you find that HOLY GRAIL on your WATCHQUEST-

·
Super Moderator
10,632 Posts
Oh yeah, this rocks Chazman ! :thumb::thumb: Seems like this one really ticks all the boxes for you, and does it in style. Wow, you're fantastic pictures show just how sleek, and refined this beauty is. There just seems to be a great balance with the watch. It's more than aggressive on the one hand, but then incredibly elegant, and smooth looking. Man oh man, looks amazing Chazman ! Glad it worked out this time around. Huge congrats there ! :smile:

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
Congrats on a Great Seiko!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Congrats. SUMO definitely is a lot of watch for the money.

Spring bar wise, you'll need to get SDF spring bars with 1.1mm tips.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
top shelf pick up. Mine says hi even though its a safe queen it is to much of a bargain to sell.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Congrats! BTW, is Seiya or somewhere else the best place to get these?

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Congrats! BTW, is Seiya or somewhere else the best place to get these?
I purchased mine off of Amazon and it was delivered the next day for $3.95 via Amazon Prime. Paid $415 for it, I think Seiya asks for the same price, but they are shipping it from Japan, while the Amazon one was already in stock in an Amazon warehouse in California.

·
Registered
657 Posts
^ Cool, that's the other place I saw it and figured Amazon is the better way to go.

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
I purchased mine off of Amazon and it was delivered the next day for $3.95 via Amazon Prime. Paid $415 for it, I think Seiya asks for the same price, but they are shipping it from Japan, while the Amazon one was already in stock in an Amazon warehouse in California.
Yep, there is no way you would get one new at a cheaper price without waiting for it to ship from asia.

Great deal.

Enjoy, the Sumo is really an outstanding watch for the price.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This watch keeps plugging away at a steady +4 seconds a day, no matter what position I put it in overnight. It hand winds as easy as my Soprod A10 and the 2892-2a's I have had, Doesn't have that "grinding coffee" feel to it like the 2824-2 and SW200's have.

Only thing lacking that would make this watch absolutely perfect would be a sapphire crystal (which I intend to add in the near future) and 22mm bracelet. The steroid pumped lug pins this baby has, makes strap options a little harder, so far I haven't found a single strap I have that the lug pushpin can fit through.

I really never looked into the Seiko brand that much, other then one of the original Kinetic Quartz's I purchased in Hong Kong new in 1996, at the same place I picked up my Rolex 16610.

I had a sarb033 for about 20 seconds, and when the case and bracelet size was disappointingly too small for my 8" wrist I sent it back, same for a Grand Seiko.

The Kinetic Drive GMT I recently purchase piqued my interest, as the entire watch is quality built, and has a handsome design, albeit a homage to the Rolex Explorer II, but that's a good thing.

These mid-tier models are just as nice and the movements as great as watches I paid almost $2K for.

I think I am starting to come down with Seikoitis, because I am already looking to pick up a SARG009, a nice Tudor Ranger/Rolex Explorer I alternative. I know the bracelet won't fit, but a nice Hirsch water proof strap will suffice.

Reactions: ganson

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
That same model has been on my wish list for a while. Really dig the dial/case on it.

This watch keeps plugging away at a steady +4 seconds a day, no matter what position I put it in overnight. It hand winds as easy as my Soprod A10 and the 2892-2a's I have had, Doesn't have that "grinding coffee" feel to it like the 2824-2 and SW200's have.

Only thing lacking that would make this watch absolutely perfect would be a sapphire crystal (which I intend to add in the near future) and 22mm bracelet. The steroid pumped lug pins this baby has, makes strap options a little harder, so far I haven't found a single strap I have that the lug pushpin can fit through.

I really never looked into the Seiko brand that much, other then one of the original Kinetic Quartz's I purchased in Hong Kong new in 1996, at the same place I picked up my Rolex 16610.

I had a sarb033 for about 20 seconds, and when the case and bracelet size was disappointingly too small for my 8" wrist I sent it back, same for a Grand Seiko.

The Kinetic Drive GMT I recently purchase piqued my interest, as the entire watch is quality built, and has a handsome design, albeit a homage to the Rolex Explorer II, but that's a good thing.

These mid-tier models are just as nice and the movements as great as watches I paid almost $2K for.

I think I am starting to come down with Seikoitis, because I am already looking to pick up a SARG009, a nice Tudor Ranger/Rolex Explorer I alternative. I know the bracelet won't fit, but a nice Hirsch water proof strap will suffice.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts