Watch Freeks banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wondered how knock resistant your average Seiko automatic watch is? I've heard you have to be careful with an auto and you may need it looked at if you drop one.

Well I dropped mine off my kitchen counter onto a laminate floor. Just wondered if it's likely to start misbehaving? For what it cost I'm not likely to take it to be looked at but was intrigued.

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
Very shock resistant in most cases.

Years ago I wore a 1st gen Seiko Monster with the 7S26 auto movement to the range and fired thousands of rounds out of a .50cal machine gun with it on, and if that wont effect it nothing will :)

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Very shock resistant in most cases.

Years ago I wore a 1st gen Seiko Monster with the 7S26 auto movement to the range and fired thousands of rounds out of a .50cal machine gun with it on, and if that wont effect it nothing will :)
So... next time you go shooting that .50cal, call me. Deal?

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
It's been quite a while now. I was active duty back then and would shoot every month.

Hard to make time these days to get out to the range and shoot my own stuff.
Thanks for your service!

I don't own any firearms... I have a 20 gauge shotgun for deer hunting that I haven't shot in over 10 years. Going to give it to my hunter brother. It was a gift from my father when I was 15, so we will keep it in the family.

I like to shoot, though! My step-dad's AR is a blast!!

Anyway, Sorry Alex, not trying to take over your thread! I trust Mr. Ganson here! From what I've picked up, he's knows his stuff! :smile-thumb2:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No worries mate, the UK is a lot less familiar with the whole gun thing haha The most I have to test with is a Co2 air pistol haha

Good to know my Seiko can take more of a hammering!

·
Registered
618 Posts
Shock resistance depends greatly on the type of impact. Example, I ride sportbikes and dual sports and don't think twice about wearing an automatic.

But I've broken a watch by dropping it from about 2 feet onto pavement, but not till the 2nd time.

IMO, taking a watch off over a tile floor, like in the bathroom, is about the most dangerous thing you do in everyday life when it comes to your auto-movement (or your sapphire crystal for that matter).

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stupidly mine was on the worktop and I knocked it off. Not a mark on it and kept its timing all week without an issues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts