Watch Freeks banner

Seiko 6R15c and Japanese movements in general

26K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  jason_recliner 
#1 ·
This is the third Seiko mechanical I have purchased in the last 3 months. All three of them are mounted with the Seiko 6R15-C movement.

I am rapidly becoming a real fan of Japanese movements, I have previously owned three Citizen Signatures with the excellent Miyota 9010 and 9012 movements. Everyone one of them, running at 28,000 BPH, was more accurate then any Swiss Mechanical I have owned. One actually ran at +2 seconds a WEEK, not a day. Got rid of them all because the case and dial designs just didn’t sing to me.

Now moving on to the Seiko 6R15c, I have/had the Shogun, the Sumo and now the Sarg009. All came with this movement. The Shogun ran +4 seconds a day out of the box, the Sumo ran/runs +4 seconds a day out of the box, the new Sarg009, with it’s !st 24 hrs, is running +2 seconds out of the box. These movements hand wind as easy as any of the SW300s, ETA 2892-a2, no ratcheting if over wound, no grinding the coffee feel like you do on a 2824-2 or 2836. Just a smooth easy wind.

This is amazing movement for an under $400 watch!

P.S. I would have included the Soprod A10 into the mix as being a Swiss counterpart, but if I’m not mistaken it is actually a Seiko design, the 8L35, and not a Swiss design at all.

Seiko 6R15C

Miyota 9010

See less See more
#2 ·
I am a big fan of Seiko. There is so much to choose from -- something for everyone and at great prices. I have the Shogun and the MM300 plus a quartz 150m divers and I couldn't be happier with them. The MM300 has even drawn some comments from people. I love it when they find out its a Seiko -- surprise is the only way to describe it. I have my shogun on right now on a Nato and its been on my wrist for about 3 weeks.

#4 ·
Brief evolution of the 6R15c movement.

A quick (not fully comprehensive) 7S26/6R15/4R** timeline might help:
Mid 1996 – 7S26A introduced

Late 2005 – 6R15A introduced, based on the 7S with Etachron regulator and Spron 510 mainspring
* Late 2006 – 7S26B introduced with Etachron regulator
* Late 2006 – 6R15B introduced – new parts:
-the barrel and train wheel bridge
-the movement barrel (complete)
-the centre wheel & pinion
-the ratchet wheel
-the oscillating weight
-the ratchet wheel screw

Mid 2008 -4R15 and 4R16 introduced, based on 6R15 but minus manual winding and hacking

Mid 2011 – 4R36A introduced along with other variants (35, 36, 37, 38 & 39)

Late 2011 – 6R15C introduced – changes:
addition of one jewel on main plate (thus, 23 to 24 jewels)
-modified ratchet sliding spring
-modified date indicator maintenance plate
-new balance wheel
-new barrel

#6 ·
I must be unlucky with Seiko. I've had 3 and also 2 other Miyota movement watches and all were off more than any ETA watch I have or had, and by a long shot.
Maybe I'll try again some day.

#7 ·
Yep, that is the problem with watches in general. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you get lemons. I've had the opposite issue where many of the ETA movements I have owned were a bit sub-par when it came to accuracy while most of the Japanese movements have performed well above spec.

#8 ·
Chazman:
Your knowlege of Seiko movements notwithstanding I believe I prefer the 4R36
(in my SRP357). Approaches COSC perameters.
Would love to upgrade to the subject movements mentioned in thread. I've tried
the 7S26, 7S36 and NH35 (half bro to the 4R36 - hackable - handwinding).
It's a matter of choice IMHO. "Man doth not live on accuracy alone".There are many
other variables to be considered.

Lou Snutt Malfunction Junction, Texas

#11 ·
In my youth (cough, ages ago :D) Seiko already ranked among the best. I've owned a string of them, ranging from a 'James Bond' LCD Quartz to a late Seventies 200 meter diver. Always a touch above the rest and a tad more expensive than the rest but worth every penny. They are a manufacture and produce everything in house. And they were the first to launch a Quartz watch, the Astron. Top notch!

Reactions: ganson and #four
#13 ·
And they were the first to launch a Quartz watch, the Astron. Top notch!
Like this one I took a pic of at the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum a month or so ago :)

Leave it to me to take pictures of Seiko's at a museum like this one!

#12 ·
My first Seiko was a Seiko World Time I got in 1968. It worked great (way before the movements you're referring to). But that started my trust in the Japanese movements.

I have a SKX009 (7S26C), and a Seiko 5 (7S36), but never one with the 6R15 movement (I gotta get one soon).

My most accurate (automatic) Japanese movement is the one in my Orient Blue Ray (don't know the movement #). It's accurate to 1 sec / day on average and that's with 122 samples using Twixt app. I did regulate it once after the first month I got it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.