Watch Freeks banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
yes, suitable for recreational diving (to 50metres). most likely strap will not reach around a wetsuit tho (please check this info). you can get longer aftermarket ones if this is a problem.

nice watch & nice price!

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
I would not dive with this model only because it does not have a screw down crown. Swimming, showering, and even some snorkeling would likely be fine with that WR, but the lack of a secure screw down crown would keep me from trusting it as a diver. For not much more money, the SKX series of Seiko divers are ISO certified with screw down crowns and 200 meter WR.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I would not dive with this model only because it does not have a screw down crown. Swimming, showering, and even some snorkeling would likely be fine with that WR, but the lack of a secure screw down crown would keep me from trusting it as a diver. For not much more money, the SKX series of Seiko divers are ISO certified with screw down crowns and 200 meter WR.

+1 ...Exactly...for even recreational diving screw down crown is a must, plus 200M WR

Reactions: ganson

·
6,403 Posts
That's why I love this place so much! Actual very useful advise and explanation. If you want to use the watch for SCUBA diving I would like to propose one of Citizen's Aqualand Pro models as well. Tried an tested dive watches, very reliable. (If you don't mind quartz movements). The latest models tend to be somewhat more expensive though.

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
Those are good choices. Just catalog case watches sold to dive shops in a variety of movements (usually seiko or miyita quartz and automatics). For the money, they are great watches. No harm if you destroy them on a dive/working, because they are cheap enough to replace.

I had one that I loved from St. Moritz/Momentum in that style case and kind of regret letting it go.

Here is the 500m you listed:

And here is the St. Moritz "Superstorm" I had:

I've changed my mind. didn't consider the crown.

for scuba, I wear this:
http://www.divingdirect.co.uk/diving-c46/watches-c71/cressi-pro-500-gents-watch-p814
it is available under several brand names. Seiko inside.

there is also this one:
http://www.divingdirect.co.uk/diving-c46/watches-c71/cressi-pro-200-mens-watch-p813
Unknown (to me) inside.

·
6,403 Posts
Yep, in our neck of the woods they are sold as Tauchmeister. This is a 100 BAR helium valve model (169 Euro):

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,887 Posts
Since 99% of recreational scuba divers never go deeper then 40m, 130ft, (200m ISO is all you need) all the helium escape valves and 1000m ratings are superfluous overkill just put on a watch to impress the uninformed.

I would much rather have a comfortable 200m ISO on my wrist then some 20,000 leagues under the sea monstrosity that looks like I have grandpa's alarm clock strapped on my wrist. I'm never going deeper then the bottom of my 6ft deep pool anyways!

Check this out-------------- http://scuba.about.com/od/scuba101/p/How-Deep-Can-You-Scuba-Dive.htm

Reactions: spice and Roarry

·
6,403 Posts
Since 99% of recreational scuba divers never go deeper then 40m, 130ft, (200m ISO is all you need) all the helium escape valves and 1000m ratings are superfluous overkill just put on a watch to impress the uninformed.

I would much rather have a comfortable 200m ISO on my wrist then some 20,000 leagues under the sea monstrosity that looks like I have grandpa's alarm clock strapped on my wrist. I'm never going deeper then the bottom of my 6ft deep pool anyways!

Check this out-------------- http://scuba.about.com/od/scuba101/p/How-Deep-Can-You-Scuba-Dive.htm
Does this look like an alarm clock? :D (Rated 1000 meters, tested to 2400 meters :D. I like to keep it safe whilst taking a shower).

Reactions: ganson

·
6,403 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you all for the replies. So WR is basically false advertising unless it's ISO 6245? I have many cheap watches that are WR rated for deeper than I'll ever go but they don't have a screw down crown.

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,887 Posts
Does this look like an alarm clock? :D (Rated 1000 meters, tested to 2400 meters :D. I like to keep it safe whilst taking a shower).

I looked at their website, and that model, being 45.5mm wide, mounted with the highly domed crystal is 19.3mm thick, would look exactly like Gramps's alarm clock :eek:

·
6,403 Posts
I looked at their website, and that model, being 45.5mm wide, mounted with the highly domed crystal is 19.3mm thick, would look exactly like Gramps's alarm clock :eek:
Well, if you say so. Who am I to say otherwise.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts

·
3,979 Posts
Ganson:
Dangnation Bro.
I have that same watch. Even down to same dial color.
Bought it from Eli @ DB.
3 DB's so far. Wonder what happened with Stan's "Scratch
and Dent" sales category?
Bought a Chrono "Timer" and couldn't find a smidgeon of a
scratch or dent.

Like buying from Sam too.

Lou Snutt

1 - 20 of 24 Posts