Watch Freeks banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

[align=center]Secret Angel Giveaway #2 !
[/align]
Welcome to the Watch Freeks Secret Angel Giveaway #2

Winner will receive a surprise watch (or watches!) valued between $50-$300. All watches will be from a variety of different brands. Watches will be shipped out via USPS Priority Mail.

** Contest #2 ends at 11:59pm EST on 1/10/10

----------------
Secret Angel Giveaway #2 question for you to answer below:

What is the nicest memory you have about your childhood? Can be with family, friends, a trip, a special honor you received, ... or anything!
(nothing sexual please)
Please explain below!

-----------------

Secret Angel Giveaway Rules:
  • *** At the end of each contest our Secret Angel will pick the winner and the watch (or watches) will be shipped directly to you!
  • *** We will not announce the winner.
  • *** The winner will find out they have won once the watch arrives!
  • IMPORTANT - YOU MUST SEND A PM TO Watch Freeks Angel with you full mailing address. This information will be kept 100% confidential and only used for shipping the watches to the winner of the contest.
Once the winner receives their prizes the Secret Angel will only request 2 simple things from you.
  1. You please post a new thread on this forum with pictures and info about the new watch you have received
  2. You do a nice deed or act of kindness for someone else AND post what you have done in the same thread where you posted the pictures and info about the watch you received. This does not have to involve spending money. Could be as simple as going to your local grocery store and helping 10 people carry their groceries to their cars or any other act of kindness you come up with.
** Please note that you are not required to do anything, but we strongly hope you will participate and pay forward the positive energy being created by the Secret Angel Program.

Thank you everyone!

·
Banned
5,730 Posts
imported post

I have two:

1. Going fishin with my father and grandfathers.

2. My dad owned a Baskin-Robbins 31 Flavors until I was about 6 years young, I went to work with him most days, Mom and Dad always wondered why I was always first in line for the Good Humor truck.

Dedicated to Dad, he always had time to take me fishin.

·
Banned
5,876 Posts
imported post

The most special memory I have of my youth is with my grandpa. He started my love of watches by giving me my first watch, an automatic Gruen from the 1940's or 50's. When we went to church, on Sunday mornings, I always sat in the back of the church with my Grandpa. He usually gave me his change from the week...which he put in his left coat pocket, and would tell me when he sat down to check his pocket. He would tell me...."Every guy needs some loose change in his pocket, just so he can have something to jingle besides keys." The week before he passed away, when he sat down next to me, he told me he had a surprise for me in his pocket. Much to my surprise and amazement, it was his watch. He hugged me and told me that he knew I loved his watch and how happy it would make him for me to have it.

Sadly my grandpa passed away from a heart problem he didn't know he had, in fact, that same heart defect affected me in 2007. Luckily, I was in the hospital having some test done when I had my heart attack, and they fixed the problem in less than an hour.

Watches are not just a way to tell time for me, they are something special to me...they remind me of my grandpa and his love for me.

·
Registered
225 Posts
imported post

My most memorable times was when I went to my Aunt/uncle farm for the summer starting out when I was 3 yrs old, WOW!!! learned a lot about farming, I still miss it today at 71!!! those were the good times in my life!!!

Charlie

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
imported post

I never met any of my grandfathers as they both passed away when my parents were young. But my grandmother on my dads side had a boyfriend, who would take me cruising around in his 64 impala. It's funny he would stop by the local package liquor and get a forty of beer, back then in the 70's you could drive around drunk...LOL anyways back to the story, he would put me in his lap and let my steer the car, we woul also give me money when he was drunk, take me to the arcade, and he was the one who got me hooked on fishing. man that brings back good memories.

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

Going Fishing with my Dad & Granpa and also Watching Boxing with Granpa

these were great moments shared with my Grandpa -who unfortunatley passed away when i was 16

and my Dad when i was 38

the fishing & boxing stayed etched in my mind - forever!!

:WW

·
Registered
9 Posts
imported post

I guess my most memorable childhood
memory would invoke a family vacation to
Florida,
I have a large family, there were 6 kids
so we alway had a Station wagon, to travel
in. One year went to Florida, with all of us in the
Country squirewagon with a pop up camper
following along behind. I allways liked riding
in the back on one of thar hidden seats that
you void raise up for extra seating.
We stopped in Georgia at RedTop Mtn State
park and camped for a few days. No bathrooms
no running water. Just the woods a lake and a bar
of soap to bathe in the lake. Me andy oldest
brother would sllep in the wagon, beause we
could stay up late and not worry about waking
up mom and dad plus it was crowded in that pop-up
After a cul of days of caning in the woods, we are on
way to Sunny Florida, look out ocean here we come.
Our destination was Tampa, dad new there was
an Ocean there . Wow we finally made it afte
hundreds of miles of are we there yet!!
We just pulled u on the Beach and set up
camp . This was aweseome, nothing like the
pond at home that we all learned to swim in.
It was huge you could walk forever and it not get over
your head. We were actuall able to stay there
for two or three days before they finally ran us
off. Told us we would have to go find a campground.
Well Dad said we couldn't afford that, had to save our $$ for
gas to get home. He said we would goto my uncles house
So off we go, as we get there we drive through this
giant Orange grove, saw people on latters picking
green oranges that didn't make since to me. My uncle
expained it, that they had to get them before they
got To ripe or they would never make it to mkt.
I got to pick oranges from a tree how cool was that.
Wow!! A pond with. A platform we were in heaven
so we all start stripping down to go take a swim
in the pond. My aunt came running out of the house
saying No!no! Don't go in there, there are aligators
in there!! We raced back to the platform and
just sat there wishing we could go swimming.
Dad promised us we would go back to the Ovean
on our way home.
My uncle had a chicken farm. Chickens and oranges
what a combo. Well it was time to crawl back in the
stattion wagon and head back to KY. As we are all
getting in our seats, my dad walked up with a cage
with at least a dozen white chickens in it, he said
look what your Uncle gave us, we are taking them
back with us. He tied the cage full of white chickens
on top of our Country squire wago and away we went.
Needless to say we didn't get to go back to the ocean.
We had to get those Damn chickens back to the farm.
As I was sitting inmy favorite seat, I could see
white feathers flying off behind. Us, then came the storm
we hadto drive through. Well u can imagine
everytime we would stop for gas we would have to
leave behind a chicken or two. It was along trip
home, I really felt sorry for those poor chickens.
As we pul into the Driveway making it H0me from our
family Vacation there was one lonely survivor on top
of that old station wagon. He lived for a long time
with only one eye. It was a rough trip for
him. It was food to be home
oh I failed to mention that we also brought back
a Beagle hound named Buster, he was offically
our family pet. Buster and the chicken got along
good.
This is just one of many childhood memories
I have that's stored away, I am glad that icould share
it with you
Sorry for the misspelling
Ron

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
imported post

Mine was not just one time but was all the times having fun just playing and exploring outside with friends during the summer. The sun not going down till late. Not having a care in the world. Boy I miss those days.

·
Registered
1 Posts
imported post

Freedom......freedom from adult life. I remember riding my bike, wind blowing on my face, and being dirty with no cares. Think about it.....nowadays a lot of us don't like to get dirty, jump without thinking, etc. As a child, you don't care. It's all about the freedom and innocence. It may sound weird but it was all about playing and having fun while trying to get home in time for dinner. Remember the dirt rings around your neck and inner elbow? I do. Those were great times.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
imported post

I guess the times I spent with my Grandmother (from England). She would tell me about how it was to grow up in England and about her trips to Continental Europe.

Talking with her was like being told a fantasy story. I could not even imagine being able to see the things that she did (before moving to the US in 1945, at age 20). However, I wanted to!

My Grandmother helped me to discover a world outside the limits and constraints of (steel making/coal mining/railroad worker) Johnstown, PA . . . to know that there were places "other" than the city in which I was raised. She helped motivate me to leave a dying area with 30% unemployment, very few career prospects, and really no reason to hang around.

I left home at 17 and went out to face the world.

Her influence on me is the happiest aspect of my childhood.

·
Registered
435 Posts
imported post

However trivial it sounds to others I am constantly reminiscing about special times with my grandmother 'NAN' For a variety of reasons I spent the first 6 years of my life living at nan's house with 3 aunts and 3 uncles (more like brother and sisters) those were happy times! but my favorite and most remembered time was when Nan would sit me on top of the refrigerator next to the wooden radio playing Irish and Country tunes (she was born in Ireland and at the time even Yonkers NY had a country station). I felt on top of the world and it is probably why I later in life learned Guitar, Fiddle , and mandolin (which gave me some of my best adult memories playing all over the northeast in a trio. I owe almost everything to her kind and gentle spirit.

·
Registered
38 Posts
imported post

My best childhood times is when our whole family went to Europe for a month vacation. I was young, 12yrs old, but I remember everything about it. We went to England, the Netherlands, Germany, Italy, Austria, France and our favorite Switzerland. I was not much of a watch collector at that time but we wanted to get a watch for our memories. We were in Lucern and was told to go to Bucherer. I still have that chronograph watch. Our family had a great time and won't forget it.

·
Registered
837 Posts
imported post

Wow, so many memories, fishing with my dad and brother was always alot of fun. but the most memorable event I would say was when dad retired from the air force and we moved from Wichita KS to Kalama WA, we took the long way. We packed up the pickup truck and camper and left on a 3 month vacation that headed east to Tenn. to visit friends, Penn. to see grandparents of dads side, WA DC, Arlington national cemetary, North Carolina, then back across the states to friends in New Mexico then on to the great state of Washington, a great vacation. I'm surpised mom and dad survived the trip with three kids and a dog, lol.

·
Registered
16 Posts
imported post

One of my best memories was asking for a new baseball glove being that my old one had seen better days and was to small and after being told by my Dad we couldn't aford to be buying a new glove and sulking the whole day I wacthed as my mom and dad returnd from running errands as they passed me (I was sitting on the front porch) my father turned and said to knock it off (the sulking that is) and oh yeah here and threw me a brand new glove, a Cooper Diamond superline model 867 ....wich I still have the glove and the memory.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
imported post

I can clearly remember going to visit my father (parents were divorced) in the Washington DC area where he lived. My brother and I would travel to see him a few times a year. We would always go to the Smithsonian Museum and MANY things there bring back amazing memories for me. First was the train exhibits. To me they were GIANT. Each year we would go and listen to the train making noise and the sounds of the trains going faster and faster. Just writing about it I can literally hear it in my head. The second was a dinosaur statue that is on the National Mall and is still there today. I can remember climbing on it with my brother and my dad taking pictures. Many of the pictures still exist. Nice memories.

You do not have to include me in the contest, but I wanted to participate!

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
imported post

The nicest memory I have from my childhood involves a business trip my dad took me on. My dad was a corporate lawyer so this required him to travel quite extensively. My dad would be gone for weeks on end traveling the world representing different companies.

I remember when I was about 12 or so my dad came into town from New York City. We knew that he would only be home for a few days so we treasured these times with him. On this particular weekend I became quite ill so I didn't get to wrestle with my dad like I was use to doing when he would come home. I was in bed with the flu for about 2 days. On the third day it was the night before my dad had to leave for Europe. He came in and told me that he would probably be gone for about 2 weeks as he was going to be involved in a trial over in Germany.

I was unhappy about this, but my siblings and I had gotten use to his regular travel. Well just as he was leaving my room he asked if I wanted to fly one leg of his trip with him so that we could hang out. I was so excited about this I told him that would be awesome.

He told me to get ready because we had to be at the airport early in the morning. The next day came and we were dropped off at the airport by my mom. She told me that she would be back later in the day to pick me back up. Well my dad and I boarded a plane and flew to Chicago together. My dad had a layover there and then he was headed to NYC again to catch another direct flight to Berlin. I had to catch another flight back to Utah.

You know my dad and I were only in the air for about 3-4 hours if I remember correctly, but these were the best hours of my childhood. I felt so cool traveling with my dad. He gave me some one on one attention that I will never forget. We talked about everything from sports to school and he even asked if I had a girlfriend.

I can still remember this trip like it was yesterday. It was only a few years later that my dad was home visiting when he was outshoveling snow off of our driveway because one of our neighbors had gotten stuck in their car. My dad slipped on the ice and broke his ankle. He was taken to the hospital and treated. About 2 weeks later a blood clot had formed from the break and had released to his heart and lungs killing him instantly. He had just come up the stairs and knocked the clot loose when I heard my mom screaming when he collapsed. I ran to his bedroom and held him in my arms while my mom dialed 911. I remember looking into his eyes as he passed away and all I could think about was what a great dad he was to me.

I didn't get to have my dad around for much of my life, but the example he was to me has made me a better father and husband. I always try to make time for each of my boys and I always tried to stay close to my step-daughter even though that was difficult because of her dad. This small trip was the best childhood memory I can think of. I'm so grateful for all the quality time that I did have with my dad even though it was quite short-lived. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
15 Posts
imported post

well, there are a lot, but you asked for one... so.... i will say the surprise birthday (13th) party my ister lucy had for me when i became a teenager! not only was it a great party.. wow.... but since i was in huge trouble with my folks because of my behavior at school... it calmed everyone down (they almost threatened to cancel it, but sis wentto so much trouble they didn't), and although i wasn't completely forgiven... i wasn't killed either. so i'd say i was darn lucky on 2 accounts , wouldn't you? so there's my story, and thanks again for entering me!
--- russell gambino

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
imported post

We moved around a lot when I was growing up. I lived in NY, Indiana, Ohio, Colorado, and Rhode Island. My best memory was when I was in high school and I had my group of friends and my father told us that he had turned down a job in Florida and we would be staying put. It was a huge relief as HS is the hardest time to adjust to a new setting and reestablish yourself with friends (IMHO). I was very happy and then I graduated and went to Connecticut to college and then to Arizona and now NJ.

:%I see the irony in this now.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.