Watch Freeks banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

DID ANYONE BESIDE ME SEE THE EARLIER SHOW WHERE THE CUSTOMER CALL IN TOLD LARRY THAT HE HAD ONE OF THE FIRST TOURBILLONS AND WHEN DID HE THINK THE NEXT ONE WOULD BE AVALIABLE. LARRY TOLD HIM IN MARCH. SO START SAVING.

·
Registered
159 Posts
imported post

djpop wrote:
DID ANYONE BESIDE ME SEE THE EARLIER SHOW WHERE THE CUSTOMER CALL IN TOLD LARRY THAT HE HAD ONE OF THE FIRST TOURBILLONS AND WHEN DID HE THINK THE NEXT ONE WOULD BE AVALIABLE. LARRY TOLD HIM IN MARCH. SO START SAVING.
Not to pick nits, but the the Imperial Tourbillon was Stuhrling's 4th tourbillon not their first:

http://stuhrlingoriginal.wordpress.com/2009/12/21/a-line-of-stuhrling-tourbillons/

"LARRY SAID IT WOULD BE A NEW VERSION"

It is, but I believe it too is a dual-time like the Imperial, which is unfortunate.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
imported post

It was my impression that the next tourbillon we'll see will be new (sportier), and come in March.

I was also under the impression that the Imperial (maybe the remainders) would also be on the Shop this month.

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

CT you are right. I have now heard Larry talk about the tourbillon twice, the first time he said it would be a new version, more expensive and be out in Feb. Now he is saying in Mar. I was unaware of previous realeases as Skeptic has pointed out or that it may be dual-time.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
imported post

Skeptic is absolutely correct about the Tourbillons. There were several produced before the Imperial (Including their Swiss Made King's Court version).

I am purely speculating . . .

However, I believe that Stuhrling may be limited to their available (Chinese) tourbillon movement choices. There are quite a few to chose from, but ultimately, there are only a few nuances between some movements while others are very different . . .

http://www.ptsresources.com/watch_tourbillon_01.htm

The 6th movement from the top, is the base movement for the Imperial Tourbillon (ST-93311) . . .

3310 Hand Winding Tourbillon Watch Movement

Function : 2 hands, 2 eyes
Accuracy : + / - 25 seconds / day
Running Time : ~40 hours after full winding
Beats per hour : 28,800
Jewels : 19
Size : Ø33.00mm
Thickness : 6.45 mm

3H sun & moon , 9H GMT.

I can only speculate that Larry may have bought enough movements in bulk to build several executions of a tourbillon from the same movement/dial layout.

We'll see. :)

·
Banned
556 Posts
imported post

I'd like to see them use a different movement. peoples results varied with the timing and the power reserve.Thats really not acceptible even for a chinese tourbillon.

The 3310 had a maximum power reserve of 40 hours.Nobody posted fair timing results for them.Defeats the purpose.Also its the least expensive tourbillon being made out of China but you paid alot for it.I've got one chinese tourbillon with a 60 hour reserve.The cage isn't fancy but the accuracy results are pretty good plus its very reliable and the reserve is consistant.I've also got a Zenith tourbillon with a dual barrel that has 80 hours of reserve.I think sturhling should offer something very different to setthem apart from the ebay tourbillons.Forget functions that don't serve any purpose.Its a frigging tourbillon.That should be the entire draw to the dial besides hour and minute hands.Don't put it in a monster case.The tourbillons are a fixed size and putting them in large cases also means putting longer hands on them which these movements aren't designed to run.put a tourbillon in a 300m dive watch.

Yep, only one chinese company is doing that and they are priced above what most would spend for one.I've gone on record with my views on chinese watches but I do buy them.I have found that they are getting better.That some companies produce quality componements when the company having the watch designed and made approves every part and the tolerances needed to be a valid watch, at least in my eyes.

Chinese watches, in of themselves aren't bad.Its the majority of producers thats bad.Making cheap watches and having the reputaion of the largest producer of replicas in the world is what people think when a watch says chinese.But there are good chinese companies also.Forget the eye candy to draw people in.A quality watch will sell better than a gold plated watch with a bad movement that falls apart during shipping.

·
Registered
159 Posts
imported post

dedward wrote:
Forget functions that don't serve any purpose.Its a frigging tourbillon.That should be the entire draw to the dial besides hour and minute hands.Don't put it in a monster case.
I agree. In my opinion the dual time on the Stuhrling actually detracts from what should be the focal point of the watch: the tourbillon itself.

I have two tourbillons:

1. A Chinese unbranded one from eBay like the one shown in this video (except mine is gold rather than rosetone):

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/xgQUlrzLVNs&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

I do find the power reserve indicator to be quite useful, even if it is a bit on the large size compared to the rest of the dial.

2. I also have one of the older Stuhrling tourbillons, the "Gent's" model. It's only a 40mm case, but the tourbillon is the focal point of the dial:

·
Banned
556 Posts
imported post

the 1st model in your pic has the good tourbillon in it.About 55 hours of reserve.

while a power reserve looks cool on a manual wind watch its really not needed since you'll be winding it every morning.I have a post going up this week with a watch with the power reserve and whats wrong with it.of course its a chinese watch but the movement itself has been great.The added functions though stopped working within the 1st month.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
imported post

Very nice tourbillon watches, Skeptic! Congrats on your "Gents" Tourbillon . . . that is a rare beast! Thanks for posting them!

Dedward, have you posted your Zenith? I would love to see it and your impressions of it. Having never owned a Swiss Tourbillon, I would love to hear your first hand accounts of the watch. Honestly, I'm not a brand loyalist as much as a movement freak. The tourbillon concept has fascinated since I learned about it as a kid. I assumed that I'd never get a chance to own one.

I agree that the "extra" complications are not only unnecessary on a Tourbillon, but distract from it. I would much rather look at a clean dial presentation and have my eyes "pulled" towards the cage (and stay there). I couldn't care about the complications.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
imported post

CurrentTime wrote:
I agree that the "extra" complications are not only unnecessary on a Tourbillon, but distract from it. I would much rather look at a clean dial presentation and have my eyes "pulled" towards the cage (and stay there). I couldn't care about the complications.
A B I G +1

I expected to like the Stuhrling tourby, but the dual-time moniker and the added fluff absolutely cheapened it, IMO.

Where's Watch-Crazy Larry in all this? He has a SeaGull toubillon also and has had good luck with it, as far as I can tell.

Dedward, you continue to impress with your knowledge and ability to explain to mortals such as myself. Now I want a Chinese tourbillon. damn.

·
Registered
466 Posts
imported post

Tourbillons are impressive on their own, and just a plain dial still makes it awesome. While I agree that the cage attracts all the attention, I don't agree that other complications detracts from the appeal of the watch :)

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
imported post

IAM JUST HOPING TO GET A TOURBILLON WITH A DESCENT MOVEMENT. LIKE OTHERS IAM ALSO A MOVEMENT PERSON. IAM GETTING TO THE POINT IF I DONT KNOW WHAT MOVEMENT IS IN THE WATCH I WONT BUY IT.

·
Banned
5,876 Posts
imported post

I am hoping that they will come out soon with the Apocalypse XT Tourbillon....I seem to remember Jim S. saying that was in the wings also. Which would be totally awesome....I would love to see that!!! I love the Hublot Big Bang Tourby...but who can afford that bad boy??? Not me for sure!!!

·
Premium Member
25,155 Posts
imported post

djpop wrote:
IAM JUST HOPING TO GET A TOURBILLON WITH A DESCENT MOVEMENT. LIKE OTHERS IAM ALSO A MOVEMENT PERSON. IAM GETTING TO THE POINT IF I DONT KNOW WHAT MOVEMENT IS IN THE WATCH I WONT BUY IT.
dj - do you own another tourbi currently? If not, what is your favorite movement that you own right now?
James

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
imported post

JAMES I DO NOT OWN A TOURBILLON YET BUT HOPE TO GET ONE. MY FAVORITE MOVEMENT IS IN MYRUSSION DIVERTHE ETA VALJOUX 7750 AUTOMATIC. I HAVE 45 WATCHES SO I HAVE OTHER FAVORITES THE SWI DUBOIS DEPRAZ 2025 AUTO CHRONO. THE SAS WITH THE ETA 251.272 CHRONO. 5 WATCHES WITH THE SELLITA SW200.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.