Watch Freeks banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oktoberfest has been cancelled for the second year in a row... Bloody Covid!

:cry:

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
That is a shame FB, but hopefully this will be the last year it is cancelled.

However, was thinking that it would have been fun to see them try to maybe
still have it, but in a different way. Like have it, but just keep everybody a little
more distanced from than usual, or, and I know this is almost blasphemous,
but even try a digital option. Where you basically have thousands of people
enjoying the event from home, and can all see each other, and maybe semi
enjoy Oktoberfest. (y)

It just would be a way to have the event without losing out on another year.
But I know it sounds like kind of a crazy idea. 😊

Really appreciate the report in any case sir. Thank you !!!

·
Super Moderator
3,862 Posts
Unfortunate but probably the correct decision.

After a few of these there's no way of keeping people apart.

·
Super Moderator
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunate but probably the correct decision.

After a few of these there's no way of keeping people apart.
View attachment 135460
Indeed... locally here, when they first opened the bars and nightclubs back up in the summer of 2020, the cases sky-rocketed.. After two or three drinks people just act stupidly, you could see it in the statistics, the infections exploded in the 18 to 30 age groups.. ie, the people who go out to bars and nightclubs (I know the demographics will also include people in their 40s and 50s, but they are a lot fewer)

·
Super Moderator
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is a shame FB, but hopefully this will be the last year it is cancelled.

However, was thinking that it would have been fun to see them try to maybe
still have it, but in a different way. Like have it, but just keep everybody a little
more distanced from than usual, or, and I know this is almost blasphemous,
but even try a digital option. Where you basically have thousands of people
enjoying the event from home, and can all see each other, and maybe semi
enjoy Oktoberfest. (y)

It just would be a way to have the event without losing out on another year.
But I know it sounds like kind of a crazy idea. 😊

Really appreciate the report in any case sir. Thank you !!!
I hope so too!

In reality, Oktoberfest is a giant tourist event. Do Germans go? Yes, but it also has several tonnes of foreigners from all over the world (Brits, Americans, Australians, Asians etc etc). So I can see the logic in putting it on hold again. Sad though it is. I will venture the hoteliers are rather annoyed.

Frankly, last year I was hoping they would only have it, but limited only to people residing in Germany, that way it would go back to what it used to be, a festival for locals ;)

Not a bad idea the Zoomtoberfest :) Not quite the same, unless you have a German girlfriend or boyfriend willing to get dressed up and carry beer to you...... Plus, making authentic Schweinebraten and Bretzeln is not easy...

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,719 Posts
Well out here in Arizona, we are wide open. Nothing lowers your own immune system more than being a shut-in not getting sun and fresh air. 80% of those who died from COVID were found to be Vitamin D deficient lowering their immune system.

If you can't get out and get fresh air and sunshine, at least take some vitamin supplements, I take plenty of vitamin D3 and Magnesium pills, and can't remember when I had the flu.

Our bar has been wide open for two months now, had about 4 bottles of Guinness just this afternoon.

Here is the end result of being wide open... With a population of 9 million our death rate is 0.1888888889% This isn't the Black Plague!

Reactions: FBPB

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
I hope so too!

In reality, Oktoberfest is a giant tourist event. Do Germans go? Yes, but it also has several tonnes of foreigners from all over the world (Brits, Americans, Australians, Asians etc etc). So I can see the logic in putting it on hold again. Sad though it is. I will venture the hoteliers are rather annoyed.

Frankly, last year I was hoping they would only have it, but limited only to people residing in Germany, that way it would go back to what it used to be, a festival for locals ;)

Not a bad idea the Zoomtoberfest :) Not quite the same, unless you have a German girlfriend or boyfriend willing to get dressed up and carry beer to you...... Plus, making authentic Schweinebraten and Bretzeln is not easy...

Yes, that is such a fantastic, and common sensical idea FB ! (y)(y);)
Just have it be for Germans only this year. :) That way the event
could still happen, and even if it wasn't the same, it would be much
much better than nothing. In fact, I bet it would be amazing, and be
as big as always because more Germans would come from all over
the country to make it special.

Hey, and there are still many months until Oktoberfest, so just maybe
something will change, and it can get uncancelled. 🙂

·
6,074 Posts
Who wants to be served a giant tankard filled to the brim with quality German beer by buxom ladies in tight dresses anyway? Meh.... ;) :p

Reactions: #four

·
6,074 Posts
😄😁😊
I've seen a documentary about das Oktoberfest and if you so much touch any of those ladies you're out the door very, very quick! It's on my bucket list and very doable for me as I live not far from Germany. Incredible to see they carry 3 ore more over one-kilo tankards in each hand! There's grumbling every year about the ever rising prices for a tankard, two years ago it passed the magical 10 Euro limit, much to the chagrin of many Germans! But if I go my wallet will be full! Once in a lifetime experience. And I speak the language enough to get by.

Reactions: Reflex

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
I've seen a documentary about das Oktoberfest and if you so much touch any of those ladies you're out the door very, very quick! It's on my bucket list and very doable for me as I live not far from Germany. Incredible to see they carry 3 ore more over one-kilo tankards in each hand! There's grumbling every year about the ever rising prices for a tankard, two years ago it passed the magical 10 Euro limit, much to the chagrin of many Germans! But if I go my wallet will be full! Once in a lifetime experience. And I speak the language enough to get by.
Yup, can imagine Frans. It must have been crazy years back for them
to even have to make such rules. But yeah, you are right there next
to Germany, and speak German. So maybe next year it would be great
to go, and just imagine how memorable it would be too. Since it would
be the first one in a couple years ! 😀🙂😎

Another thing, since this years' has evidently been cancelled, you'll
have plenty of time to plan everything out sir. (y)(y)

·
6,074 Posts
Anne and myself have visited Germany with her sister and husband a number of times, mostly Düsseldorf, Kleve and Köln (Cologne). The latter city is really, really nice, especially their local brew, Kölsch. They take their beer very seriously. And the pastry is out of this world.

·
6,074 Posts
Yup, can imagine Frans. It must have been crazy years back for them
to even have to make such rules. But yeah, you are right there next
to Germany, and speak German. So maybe next year it would be great
to go, and just imagine how memorable it would be too. Since it would
be the first one in a couple years ! 😀🙂😎

Another thing, since this years' has evidently been cancelled, you'll
have plenty of time to plan everything out sir. (y)(y)
Yes, I will have to book a hotel as well as driving back loaded with beer is not a good idea at all. But perhaps I'll do a package deal (bus trip) and only stay for the day. They established that rule because of all the groping by men (mostly foreign tourists) that had one too many.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Anne and myself have visited Germany with her sister and husband a number of times, mostly Düsseldorf, Kleve and Köln (Cologne). The latter city is really, really nice, especially their local brew, Kölsch. They take their beer very seriously. And the pastry is out of this world.
Yes, I will have to book a hotel as well as driving back loaded with beer is not a good idea at all. But perhaps I'll do a package deal (bus trip) and only stay for the day. They established that rule because of all the groping by men (mostly foreign tourists) that had one too many.

Very very cool Frans, must have been incredible each time I imagine.
Just going once would be unforgettable for me. Although I might be
tough to pull away from those pastries. 😊 If they had an Oktoberfest
for pastries, I'd be in trouble. 😄😀

Seriously, though, yes totally figured it would be at least an entire day
one would spend at Oktoberfest. (y)If not more, just to take in everything,
and truly enjoy the event, and area. ..Wow, this is such great news sir,
and like I said, it's a long way off so that's good also for planning things.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts