Watch Freeks banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
I saw this on that huge Apple forum I'm still member of. Who on earth will attack his phone with a combat knife? This reminds me of a line the great and one and only Bruce Lee spoke in one of his films. One of his opponents smashed through a thick wooden board and looked at him quite proud of his achievement. Lee answered: "Wooden boards don't hit back". :D

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
I won't be attacking it with a knife, but will be nice to know it will be harder that scratch, although I never use a screen protector and I can't see any scratches on my iPhone 5 after 2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
I always put on screen protectors. My iPhone 5s still looks like new but I also carry it in a Book Book case. Rumours are floating around the iPhone 6 will sport an all sapphire case with an aluminium back. We'll see.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I've had (many) iPhone's since day 1 in 2007, no screen protector and never scratched one but have shattered the screen.... Before I watched the video, I thought sapphire was a big mistake, due to its brittleness.

but the video of him bending it under his foot really surprised me, if it takes shock better than the current gorilla glass it will be a nice improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
24,243 Posts
I thought the that Gorilla glass was the best choice for phones and tablet screens. Maybe I was misinformed.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Is this real sapphire or a compound that incorporates sapphire? I don't know of any sapphire that will bend like that! Sapphire may be scratch resistant etc but bendable like that I doubt it is fairly brittle!

Corning the makers of Gorilla Glass and a company that has made lab grown sapphire since the 70s claims that sapphire is not as strong and a lot more brittle than their Gorilla Glass! Who knows?

I have had many phones over the years and never shattered a screen. I did crack one the other day when I leaned on a Stainless Steel table at the restaurant with my phone in my pocket it didn't have the screen protector on because i was waiting for a new one. It's not bad enough to put on a new screen, I have one in stock just in case.

IMO if you use a decent screen protector it helps if you drop the phone. I have dropped my Galaxy III down the stairs, off a ladder, running across the street on the pavement even bobbled it and it fell in the train pit in the subway and it never broke or cracked. My friend who for some reason refuses to use a screen protector GIII phone has broken his screen three times in the last three months just dropping it on the floor and down a set of rugged stairs.

I would like to know where some random guy just happened to get a hold of that screen?? I doubt Apple would let that just slip out the door!

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
Apple bought and invested in a sapphire plant in Arizona last year. Part of their growing initiative to move as much of their manufacturing process to the US over the coming years.
Their first test runs have been producing the home buttons and camera lenses for the iPhone 5S last year out of sapphire, and the end game is obviously to be able to use sapphire for the whole screen. I've been following this one closely, as there are a lot of uses besides screens for sapphire in the computer world, and with Apple pouring its considerable wealth into research and manufacturing, things should get exciting.

Over the next few years, you will see more and more products from Apple with the "Designed by Apple in California – Assembled in the United States" label (liem the new iMac), and hopefully moving on to a full "Designed by Apple in California – MADE in the United States" moniker. While other companies are outsourcing to international manufacturing, Apple is slowly trying to bring it home.

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
I have had many phones over the years and never shattered a screen...

IMO if you use a decent screen protector it helps if you drop the phone.
Apple wants to get to a point where you won't need a case or screen protector, but also not end up with a bulky ugly device.

Think of it like when Steve Jobs said "if you see a stylus, they blew it". If you need a case, then you still have a lot of work to do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts