Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a fair bit about these watches, and the reviews are brilliant. I pulled the trigger and bought a San Martin 62 MAS with the grey sunburst dial. For a homage they aren't cheap, and it cost me about £240 including duty and postage to get to the UK. The service is great. You get an email from the owner thanking you for the order, and shortly afterwards another email with a picture of your individual watch and tracking number. If you have any questions he is back to you in no time at all. There are a few different specs, but I went the full hog and bought mine with the sapphire crystal and bracelet. At no extra cost I opted for the full lume bezel, rather than just the lumed pip. The quality and feel of the watch is simply amazing. The case and dial finishing is like anything you would find on a watch ten times the price. The bezel action is as good as it gets, the bracelet and clasp as good as anything I have on any of my watches, and the good old NH35 is running accurately as they indefinitely do.

·
Super Moderator
9,620 Posts
Looks really impressive MW, and like it gives you everything you could
want for the $. 😀 Seriously as compared to the price for those new
62 MAS Seiko's we saw a few months back, this is a steal. 😯 I mean
just hearing your review on it's specs, as well as quality is beyond fun,
and much appreciated. ..Even the way the service of the brand is so
refreshing to hear !

Thanks again Sir Wiggles ! Hope you really enjoy. BIG congrats 2 U !!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have read a fair bit about these watches, and the reviews are brilliant. I pulled the trigger and bought a San Martin 62 MAS with the grey sunburst dial. For a homage they aren't cheap, and it cost me about £240 including duty and postage to get to the UK. The service is great. You get an email from the owner thanking you for the order, and shortly afterwards another email with a picture of your individual watch and tracking number. If you have any questions he is back to you in no time at all. There are a few different specs, but I went the full hog and bought mine with the sapphire crystal and bracelet. At no extra cost I opted for the full lume bezel, rather than just the lumed pip. The quality and feel of the watch is simply amazing. The case and dial finishing is like anything you would find on a watch ten times the price. The bezel action is as good as it gets, the bracelet and clasp as good as anything I have on any of my watches, and the good old NH35 is running accurately as they indefinitely do.
Is San Martin a Chinese brand? I believe I saw a post where you were comparing Heimdallr to Seiko and I think Heimdallr is also a Chinese brand. How would you compare Heimdallr to San Martin? Do you feel the overall quality of their watches is on par with Seiko? Thanks.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is San Martin a Chinese brand? I believe I saw a post where you were comparing Heimdallr to Seiko and I think Heimdallr is also a Chinese brand. How would you compare Heimdallr to San Martin? Do you feel the overall quality of their watches is on par with Seiko? Thanks.
Good question. I believe the two brands come out of the same factory, but the QC and specifications may be a little different. Heimdallr and San Martin are both excellent, but would say San Martin is marginally superior. That said, San Martin are a fair bit dearer, and I am not sure the additional cost can be justified. I have a bronze 62 mas made by Heimdallr, and SS version made by San Martin. There are minor differences, but both are excellent, and if you wanted a Seiko as good it would cost you five times as much.

Yes, both are Chinese, but please don't ever let this put you off, as there are some fantastic watches coming out of China

·
Registered
187 Posts
Good question. I believe the two brands come out of the same factory, but the QC and specifications may be a little different. Heimdallr and San Martin are both excellent, but would say San Martin is marginally superior. That said, San Martin are a fair bit dearer, and I am not sure the additional cost can be justified. I have a bronze 62 mas made by Heimdallr, and SS version made by San Martin. There are minor differences, but both are excellent, and if you wanted a Seiko as good it would cost you five times as much.

Yes, both are Chinese, but please don't ever let this put you off, as there are some fantastic watches coming out of China
That's great info. Thanks!

·
Registered
187 Posts

Have you ever tested your Heimdallr and San Martin watches while snorkeling or diving in the ocean?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you ever tested your Heimdallr and San Martin watches while snorkeling or diving in the ocean?
No, but a watch is a sum of it's parts. The crown stem and case back are both sealed, and both have a screw in crown for extra protection. I once tested a Parnis watch with a 30m rating for water resistance. Again, it had seals in all the right places. Swished it around in a bowl of water for several minutes, left in there for a day, and no leakage. Believe me, either would be fine for snorkelling or shallow diving to about 30m.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Did you order yours directly from San Martin?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thought so......just wanted to be sure. I chatted with one of their CSR's the other day and it was the absolute BEST customer service experience I've had in recent years and it was 2am in China (forgot about the time difference). Are you still really happy with your new San Martin 62 mas? I'm thinking about ordering one with the hexagonal logo which I think compliments the looks of the watch.

·
Registered
187 Posts
My San Martin 62 MAS arrived today in record time but unfortunately it has bezel problems - misalignment and too much backplay ☹. Other than that, the watch looks great. I sent an email to Glenn and await his response.

Mrs. Wiggles, sounds like you didn't have any issues with your bezel which is great.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My San Martin 62 MAS arrived today in record time but unfortunately it has bezel problems - misalignment and too much backplay ☹. Other than that, the watch looks great. I sent an email to Glenn and await his response.

Mrs. Wiggles, sounds like you didn't have any issues with your bezel which is great.
The bezel on mine aligns perfectly, although it has tiny bit of back play, but when I say tiny, it really is tiny. I know it sounds obvious, but make sure you are looking at the bezel totally square, as a different angle may make the bezel look misaligned, but I am sure you know that. Sure Glenn will sort you out, make sure you let us know how it goes

·
Registered
187 Posts
The bezel on mine aligns perfectly, although it has tiny bit of back play, but when I say tiny, it really is tiny. I know it sounds obvious, but make sure you are looking at the bezel totally square, as a different angle may make the bezel look misaligned, but I am sure you know that. Sure Glenn will sort you out, make sure you let us know how it goes
Good point but yes I know that. I have several dive watches in my collection (Seiko, Citizen, Victorinox, etc.) and have never before seen a bezel misalignment problem. I noticed it immediately when I unpacked the SM watch yesterday. Do you know if the bezel on these watches is steel, ceramic, or some other material? I ask because this bezel has a different "feel" to it when comparing it to bezels from my other dive watches.

If it isn't too much trouble, could you send me a picture of your San Martin so I can see your bezel alignment and compare it to what I have? I can live with some backplay but not the misalignment problem. Thanks.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Good point but yes I know that. I have several dive watches in my collection (Seiko, Citizen, Victorinox, etc.) and have never before seen a bezel misalignment problem. I noticed it immediately when I unpacked the SM watch yesterday. Do you know if the bezel on these watches is steel, ceramic, or some other material? I ask because this bezel has a different "feel" to it when comparing it to bezels from my other dive watches.

If it isn't too much trouble, could you send me a picture of your San Martin so I can see your bezel alignment and compare it to what I have? I can live with some backplay but not the misalignment problem. Thanks.
It is a ceramic bezel, here is mine as requested'

·
Registered
187 Posts
It is a ceramic bezel, here is mine as requested'
Thanks for the picture. It's hard to tell from the photo, but do you notice some bezel deviation at the 3 o'clock position? The deviation on mine is more pronounced at that position. I'm working with Glenn to get it resolved......hopefully soon.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the picture. It's hard to tell from the photo, but do you notice some bezel deviation at the 3 o'clock position? The deviation on mine is more pronounced at that position. I'm working with Glenn to get it resolved......hopefully soon.
In have just studied the bezel, and the 3 o'clock marker is very slightly lower than perhaps it should be. I have to be honest, I never would have noticed it unless it was pointed out.I am going to be realistic though, the watch was a few hundred pounds/dollars not a few thousand, so it's something I can live with. Very few things in life are perfect (y)

·
Registered
187 Posts
In have just studied the bezel, and the 3 o'clock marker is very slightly lower than perhaps it should be. I have to be honest, I never would have noticed it unless it was pointed out.I am going to be realistic though, the watch was a few hundred pounds/dollars not a few thousand, so it's something I can live with. Very few things in life are perfect (y)
Right you are about very few things in life being perfect but to me, proper bezel alignment is a normal and reasonable expectation for any dive watch that costs a few hundred dollars. I have several dive watches in my collection that range in price from $50 to about $500 and all have very good bezel alignment. Everything else on the San Martin watch looks great and I'm confident Glenn will be able to meet my expectation with regard to bezel alignment. Thanks for your feedback.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Right you are about very few things in life being perfect but to me, proper bezel alignment is a normal and reasonable expectation for any dive watch that costs a few hundred dollars. I have several dive watches in my collection that range in price from $50 to about $500 and all have very good bezel alignment. Everything else on the San Martin watch looks great and I'm confident Glenn will be able to meet my expectation with regard to bezel alignment. Thanks for your feedback.
I am also like you in some ways. I think bezel movement and alignment should be right, but in my experience perfection is rarely met. I own 26 divers watches with bezels, but only one I would class as perfection, which is my Christopher Ward C60-600, but that was an £850 watch ($1000). My Steinhart is excellent also, as is the San Martin, both Spinnakers, Parnis 200m diver, and both Heimdallrs. However, other than the Chris Ward, I can find faults if I really look.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts