Watch Freeks banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

OK - I know I'm going to get a lot of comments - but - is someone able to tell me what the attraction is of this watch? I've watched several presentations on the Shop of different styles and I just don't see what the big deal is about it. It is interesting looking but it's not singing to me and telling me I HAVE to have it my collection.

I didn't like the shock colors this last weekend but, after watching Jim and Eyal changing straps, I got sucked in andI pulled the trigger on the green. Then, before going to bed, I cancelled the order. I just didn't think I would wear the watch all that much and the combination of the steel and green just, somehow, didn't work for me !! And I didn't think I would could find a real use for the big yellow box.

Any ideas would welcome - thanks

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

i agree the color versions are not impressive -to me the
most impressive version is the Black & SS version with the black dial -which was the original version

i love the DIVER on STEROIDS look of it but the color choices are just to reel in folks that dont have one yet

if you dont have a SAN III by now -you dont want one -there have been so many versions and price points -that if you didnt snag one -you plain out dont want one

JMHO

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
imported post

I've gone through a transformation with the SAIII line.

I can remember last summer, kinda making fun of the watches in my own mind . . . too big, too gaudy (you know the "small penis", compensatory watch) . :lol

Then I bought one in Aug, 2008 to see if I could actually wear one. I bought one of the quartz OTV watches, with every intention of returning it after trying it for size (I wanted a 7750 version, but thought it was cheaper to "try" the OTV version to see if it would fit). It fit, I sent it back, and within 4 weeks, I bought a SAIII 7750 from Amazon.com.

Since then I've owned 8-10 SAIIIs

I'm NOT a fan of the recent offering, but I am a fan of the line in general.

Given the "right" amount of acceptable qualities, I would have bought into the "kit". However, there were enough "deviations" in this current offering, that I passed.

I can't speak to why people snagged the most recent variations (I can guess, but don't personally know why), but I can see why people like this watch.

I also see why some folks don't care for the SAIII line as well.

·
Super Freak
4,827 Posts
imported post

Everyone has there own style and everyone can't like everything that the crowd likes. I personally don't like to make decisions on not liking a watch until after I've seen it.

I love the Subaqua's but I don't like every variation. Actually I don't like the newer stuff. I like a few of the new straps in the kit but won't buy the kit just for that. At one point I had about 11 SAN III's and hate to give them up. I have a few of the variations and will continue to buy them as long as I like them.

You might want to get one in hand one day to see if your judgment is correct or not. You never know, you just might like it or maybe not. The Perforated Dial has a much bigger following then it did when it first came out. People came along slowly as they saw it more and especially as they saw it in person.

·
Super Freak
4,827 Posts
imported post

WATCHURSELF wrote:
i agree the color versions are not impressive -to me the
most impressive version is the Black & SS version with the black dial -which was the original version

i love the DIVER on STEROIDS look of it but the color choices are just to reel in folks that dont have one yet

if you dont have a SAN III by now -you dont want one -there have been so many versions and price points -that if you didnt snag one -you plain out dont want one

JMHO
I agree, if you've been collecting for a while and don't own one you probably never will.

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
imported post

As with anything subjective or personal opinion based; no right or wrong answer.
Just a matter of personal choice.

CJ

rmar wrote:
OK - I know I'm going to get a lot of comments - but - is someone able to tell me what the attraction is of this watch? I've watched several presentations on the Shop of different styles and I just don't see what the big deal is about it. It is interesting looking but it's not singing to me and telling me I HAVE to have it my collection.

I didn't like the shock colors this last weekend but, after watching Jim and Eyal changing straps, I got sucked in andI pulled the trigger on the green. Then, before going to bed, I cancelled the order. I just didn't think I would wear the watch all that much and the combination of the steel and green just, somehow, didn't work for me !! And I didn't think I would could find a real use for the big yellow box.

Any ideas would welcome - thanks

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

Here is my answer.
1) I do not like the newest ones - I don't like the color or the dial layout.

2) That being said I DO like the older ones. I have had a few including the Triple Black one, which was amazing. Here is my current one, which looks like a million bucks when I wear it.

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
imported post

BW-1 wrote:
Oops forgot about one and i think it has the best movement to.................
Is that the 5040.F?

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

Damn that looks sweeeeet on the Bracelet!!!

TVDinner wrote:
Here is my answer.
1) I do not like the newest ones - I don't like the color or the dial layout.

2) That being said I DO like the older ones. I have had a few including the Triple Black one, which was amazing. Here is my current one, which looks like a million bucks when I wear it.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I have to admit I do like the looks of the older versions. Thanks for the pictures. Glad to know it's not just me with regard to the latest kit offering. I just couldn't pin down what I didn't like about it. At first I just didn't care for the all stainless steel look and the dial colors - but then I sat around Sunday afternoon watching Jim and Eyal messing with them and something hit - and I thought "Maybe I would wear that green - I don't have a watch with a green face" !! So I place the order. Then as the day goes on I start to go back to my original opinion of not liking the all stainless steel look and the perf dials. I think that's why I cancelled the order that night. Now I keep jumping between that was a good thing or I was nuts to cancel. Either way I centainly don't think it's worth $500 now !!

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

The Older Blak & SS look is hard to find but not impossible

then there are lots of daily deals on the rubber straps which are very comfortable

your choice -try one out - you may like it if you like large watches!!

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
imported post

I have a Master Calendar on a bracelet and a Venom Yellow dial version on rubber and love them. I think you did the right thing on the kit. If the kit would have been offered in a black and white dial choice then I think it would have been a solid item to purchase. The SAN III were my favorite watches until I picked up a couple of Chase Durer and an NFW AutoPilot and now those are more prefered by me over the SAN III but the SAN III and hopefully the SAN IV are my favorite Invicta models.

You might want to purchase one cheap off of one of the deal sites just to see if you like them or not before you would sink a boat load of money on one.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

MJ wrote:
Hi TV, where did you get the bracelet, I thought they only came on a rubber strap?
That was a mod I did to my SAN III. George (Watchurself from this site) had the all metal bracelet and I put it on my SAN and took off the rubber/metal one and gave it to him.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.