Watch Freeks banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Funny, I was watchin Jims show from last night and he and Meijin were hawking the Diver Kit SAN. They spent alot of time talking about how easy it is to change the straps etc, and how to not overtighten the screws etc etc etc....Its so clear that the design of the screws was sort of less than adequate when the host has to spend soooo much time explaining to people how to tighten a screw just right so as not to break the watch...How many screws has the avg person tightened in their lives that they need a lesson?

ALso alot of time was spent on why there are foam cut outs for extra screws but only some kits had the 4 screws while others didnt,,,,Jim said its meant to be that way to hold your screws when changing straps....Well why do some of the kits have 4 then?? Typical QC inspections missed?

Then a guy named Lee calls in and the first thing he says is how he broke a screw changing straps....WHile hes tellin his story of the broken screw, the camera is on Jim trying to change a strap and he was having real struggles trying to do it....It was uncomfortable to say the least, but funny as hell!!

I still think its funny that the design is such that you need tutoring on how to/not to tighten a screw...

Crap that Renato Kit seemed to have it to a science for sure....

·
Registered
768 Posts
imported post

I guess Invicta is having a few problems with this line, i hope they get it worked out, but there have been about 10 complaints on WG so far and some are die hard Invicta fans.

·
Registered
298 Posts
imported post

I agree - I thought the reason for the extra slots was a coverup for QC not putting two more screws in some of the kits. I have changed mine twice without a problem but I'm always learing when doing it that something is going to go wrong. This shouldn't be that hard a thing to do - so what is the problem with design ??

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

just a fyi that my op wasnt meant to flame a brand etc but rather to describe what i saw on the show and my impressions of it . just seems odd that there needs to be so much instruction around putting in a simple screw. so i hope no one takes offense to it and the thread doesnt get locked as im curious to hear opinions

·
Premium Member
25,155 Posts
imported post

ericf4 wrote:
just a fyi that my op wasnt meant to flame a brand etc but rather to describe what i saw on the show and my impressions of it . just seems odd that there needs to be so much instruction around putting in a simple screw. so i hope no one takes offense to it and the thread doesnt get locked as im curious to hear opinions
I am fine with your original post. I watched the presentation live also.

I think clearly there is a learning curve with these new kits for some.
WE (watch forum members and collectors) ARE NOT a real representation of the "general public". Most general-public-non-watch-collector customers probably do have a learning curve to NOT over tighten and that is why I believe there are instructions included.
I DO like the idea of the Invcita kits in general. My personal issue with the kits was the colors available more then anything else. But I can clearly see how some buying their first watch might over tighten or have issues. HOPEFULLY the instructions are clear enough OR maybe Invicta will need to make further modifications to the kits down the line. who knows.

Now I agree that the Renato system seems to be very well done and "stupid-simple" for people.

In general I like these kits that give people multiple options with the same watches. I believe we will see more of this from these brands AND some modifications in the near future.

·
Registered
514 Posts
imported post

. . . Both ends of the spectrum represented here, in a way. Design/engineering and marketing . . .

The "dive kit", and I use that term in regards to the SANIII loosely, is really a product that is most familiar to the watch enthusiast segment of the buying public.

The rotation of straps and bracelets is in many cases a news flash to the average consumer. I base this on my co-workers reaction to me swapping straps, they assumeI have bought a new watch. Also,by me sizing their watches, It amazes them!!!! What is simple and routine to many of us is like "black magic" to most.

The SAN kit does seem to have it's problems though. And not having seen one in the flesh, I cannot speculate as to where they went wrong in engineering it.

In my opinion, Invicta is it's own worst enemy, in the sense that they have been caught out in over-reaching their market audience, and introduce "gimmicky" designs and products that are not totally well engineered and have a higher emphasis placed on only design. The old " If it looks cool . . . Well, it must be cool!!!" I've owned a lot of stuff in my time I thought was cool, only to end up being disappointed in the end.

My opinion only, it isn't worth much . . . Randy.

·
Premium Member
25,155 Posts
imported post

One thing I bet we will all agree on is this - NO ONE makes more changes, adjustments, and variety of models then Invicta. No one. I BET WE WILL SEE a modified version of this kit very soon where they address some of the feedback they are getting.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

whats been drivin me nutz is that the SAN went from a cool design to one where its circus like and now TOTALLY overplayed....How many are they gonna have?? My 7750 was cool and now its just another of the many SANs it seems..

·
Registered
514 Posts
imported post

ericf4 wrote:
whats been drivin me nutz is that the SAN went from a cool design to one where its circus like and now TOTALLY overplayed....How many are they gonna have?? My 7750 was cool and now its just another of the many SANs it seems..
. . you hit my point squarely Eric. The original SAN with the 7750 will always be cool! Most of the variations that followed will always be just that . . . variations. It's like the retro craze. Retro is fine . . . but they rarely if ever possess the charm and nuance of the real deal. The 7750 SAN and most of the early Reserves were the real deal . . . .

off topic. . . .

·
Registered
298 Posts
imported post

I didn't take your original post as a flame at all - I agreed with your topic - is there a problem with the design? From posts on other watch forums, there does seem to be an issue - I assume that people that post on watch forums are over and above the usual public and most would seem to be knowledgeable about watches in general. I still love my Invictas and I like the SANS kit - this is my first Subaqua Noma and the changeable strap idea is great. I will have to see if I have an issue in the future when I change straps.

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
imported post

I agree; SANIII will always be a cool design but the other day when my neighbor said "Hey, you got that at Costco" (referring to my MOP, 3 hand Auto SANIII) it did bug me..........:WW

CJ

·
Premium Member
25,155 Posts
imported post

ericf4 wrote:
good as i got a PM about that it good be starting a flame and I dont feel that it was...Glad you are all cool with it.
Our wonderful mods doing their jobs and keeping an eye on things. :) That is a great thing!

Good discussion here so lets keep it going

I WISH someone who bought both the Invicta and the Renato "kits" would post their thoughts on each. I would love to read that.

·
Registered
514 Posts
imported post

Seattle wrote:
I agree; SANIII will always be a cool design but the other day when my neighbor said "Hey, you got that at Costco" (referring to my MOP, 3 hand Auto SANIII) it did bug me..........:WW

CJ
. . . no big. I bought my Timex at Target. ( sounds better when you pronounce it " Tar-jay") . . . :%

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
imported post

Yeah I know Randy...it's a little silly but not gonna lie about it. I wanted to explain to him that mine was so much better than the ones sold at Costco........as if he'd care DOH!!!:(

CJ

randyswagon wrote:
Seattle wrote:

CJ
. . . no big. I bought my Timex at Target. ( sounds better when you pronounce it " Tar-jay") . . . :%

·
Banned
556 Posts
imported post

I don't think theres a problem with the kit, its just that they assumed that the buying public wouldn't have a problem.this one has hex heads right? Formex used those 1st.What formex did was give you very small changing tools, so you couldn't over tighten them.Sinn does the same with their bracelets.If Invicta does what its been doing over the years, they'll just pump out another model without making any improvements on this one.

·
Registered
922 Posts
imported post

dedward wrote:
I don't think theres a problem with the kit, its just that they assumed that the buying public wouldn't have a problem.this one has hex heads right? Formex used those 1st.What formex did was give you very small changing tools, so you couldn't over tighten them.Sinn does the same with their bracelets.If Invicta does what its been doing over the years, they'll just pump out another model without making any improvements on this one.
i agree with the last line of your comment above one hundred percent. they will quickly make a change to the kit

·
Long Time Member
8,308 Posts
imported post

I've probably said this but the whole "kit" concept is pretty cool. This speaks not only for the two brands mentioned here, but in general.

Now as I see it the Invicta kit is in need of a little refinement and would be really nice with it's ownmodel of watch. The Oceanquest title is catchy, and begs to have it's very own design.

I also agree that the SANIII is played out. (I do not and will not own one)

The Renato system looks flawless and pretty idiot proofcause, let's face it, most folks ride the short bus. The do need, however,to dump the crummy colors.

What they really need to look at is coming up with a good system (Renato) that has it's own watch model design along with that cool box (Invicta). Then take the quick change system and allow after-market people to use it.

The amount of diverse strap and bracelet design availabilitywould give the idea a life of it's own.

As far as the original post. I love live TV.

Just sayin'

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

All I will say about this is this, if you cant tighten a screw then dont buy the watch. This is incredible too me, I shouldnt be surprised though I just came back from the Navy where I spent all week training them how too run the Oven. And sure as hell some dome swabby ******* ran into it with a forklift and destroyed it. This country is so full of Stupid people, it is unreal. Shame on Invicta for producing a watch that isnt stupid Proof!!! WTF

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.