Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 100 gal marine tank. Been running for about 6 years now, however I'm about to do a big clean out after a mass die off of my fish, it was a coral tank but they disappeared when I had my heart attack and the tank got neglected. Some fish died due to old age others for unknown causes. So, this weekend a full clean out of tank, sump, pipes etc. fresh water and new live rock and substrate.
So, if you have a tank share your successes and disasters!
It's a great place to test the water resistance of your dive watches after all!
Cheers
Derek

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
I don't own one, but the fish are much more colorful. I think.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And much more expensive also. The more commen saltwater fish tend to run around $30 to $60 an inch! I try to buy "bred in captivity" fish which also carry a premium, but it's worth it if it leaves fish on reefs in the wild. Those I like to just swim with! Lol. ( while wearing my 009 of course!)
Cheers
Derek

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Fish tanks are amazing. A lot of work. Especially for a salt water. Could never get one myself.

I do have a terrarium for my Tokay Gecko. I have naturals plants growing, a built in waterfall that sucks water up from the bottom. It's like an aquarium. Haha.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I don't but had a friend years ago who was into it. VERY expensive hobby. Who knew you could FedEx a fish .... yes, really.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very cool Gino, truth is its a lot easier these days than it used to be a few years ago. Aquarium tech has advanced a lot. Salt is now balanced for essential minerals, Skimmers and filters are much more affordable , even lighting has evolved with the use of LEDs . Just change out 20% of the water every month and things should go smoothly! Lol well that's the idea anyway!
Cheers
Derek

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes Pallet, I get some of mine in the mail..never had a dead or damaged one yet! You just have to make sure you are home in the allotted delivery window. I'm always home anyway waiting for a watch delivery! Lol
Oh and it's probably less expensive than buying watches is!
Set up, enjoy for 5 or 6 years, repeat if you want a change!
Cheers
Derek

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
kept a 50 gallon tank with brackish CICHLIDS from LAKE TANGANYIKA ( the deepest lake in the world and thus the lake with the most species differentiation)

had lots of pretty fishies-FRONTOSA-LELEUPI-ELECTRIC BLUE-

enjoyed it for a while and so did my kiddies-

good luck with your new tank and good health during the 6 year cycle-POST PIX

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
had one awhile ago. Well it was more of my wives my then girlfriend. But guess who was taking care of the tank? And this is when we were still living with our parents.

My wife wants another one...but I say no...cuz I know who's gonna be taking care of the tank. LOL

Love them though. Beautiful to stare at all day.

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
As a teenager growing up a few blocks away from the beach in Hollywood Florida I had a saltwater tank and caught my own tropical fish. Later in life and for the past 30 years or so I've only kept fresh water tanks with all types of tropical fish including Oscars and African Chiclids. Now I run two tanks, one 30 gallon with a variety of tropical fish including a Red Stripe Catfish that's about 15 years old as well as a very small 3 gallon tank with one badass African Chiclid.

I've thought about going back to salt water but I don't think its worth the expense and upkeep... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
I used to have two aquariums (one salt water) but that came to a crashing halt...literally...after the 94 earthquake in Southern Cal. I have chihuahuas now instead. :)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, I'm amazed at how much such a diverse group of people have in common!
Obviously we are Freeky about timepieces, but also we seem to have an affinity for fast cars, motorcycles and now fish tanks!
Lol
Freeky creepy!
I love single malts also!
Cheers
Derek ( somewhat inebriated!) lol

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
PICTURES!!!! (FROM EVERYONE!

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Gorgeous dive watch display case. The sea life is top notch. You've outdone Yourself, if You could only keep the watches on the fishes.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Only freshwater from me. Always wanted to venture in the salt water ring. My wife had me doing all the maintenance. Got rid of the tank and fish( gave them away) back in 2002.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a saltwater tank, which unfortunately has fallen into neglect as well. I just haven't had the time to dedicate to it like I did in the beginning and the drought here in California really isn't helping; there's neighborhood gestapo that watch people who water their lawns and wash their cars here.

I've made the decision to sell it, but now comes the hard part of finding someone to adopt the animals currently living in it and the even more difficult part of having to catch them. :(

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Avionixx, what have you got? I might be able to take some stuff off your hands. I still have space in my 100 gal for more stock.
I'm in San Mateo by the way. Yeah, tell me about the water problems!
Brown lawns are the new green.
Cheers
Derek

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
Great thread. I always wanted a saltwater tank, but never pulled the trigger.

Also, they are a bit more work than my little 30 gallon fresh water tank :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts