Watch Freeks banner

121 - 140 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
It’s funny that you mention this because this is causing a lot of debate and flak. In the seventeenth century, entrepreneurs (the first multinational in the world) and the then government worked together to reel in as much as business as possible. The huge (privately funded) fleet was in fact manned by legalised pirates. Killing the competition, literally. This consortium ammassed vast riches, running in the billions (now over a trillion). This made the Republic of The Netherlands a very wealthy nation which in turn led to our ‘Golden Age’. Spice traders had so much money that they commissioned the likes of Rembrandt to make paintings, builders to construct huge stately mansions (along the canals of Amsterdam) and so on and so forth.

The admirals of that fleet and the governors of those conquered territories were honoured with street names, town squares and statues. Piet Heyn is one of them. Now they are considered butchers, racists and cutthroats that must be deleted from our history. And this leads to very, very heated discussions and the demand to remove their names and their statues between now and one year.

Yes, they were pirates and scoundrels but their actions must be placed in their time and that was four centuries ago. The protesters that are on social benefit forget that those benefits are there because of the men they despise so much. They laid the foundation for our prosperity. Sorry for this rant.

Addition: in my country replicas of those ships are being build now. Old methods but modern tools. It takes volonteers years and years to finish one, in the seventeenth century it took them..... six weeks from laying the keel.

The "Woke" Idiots want to erase the vestiges of the past like they didn't happen. They want to brand past heroes and brilliant achievers by today's moral standards, not the historical times they lived in.

Usually, the ones ranting the most about their ancestors being the victims of these past injustices, if you looked deep into their ancestor's pasts as well, you would find just as many blemishes.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
The "Woke" Idiots want to erase the vestiges of the past like they didn't happen. They want to brand past heroes and brilliant achievers by today's moral standards, not the historical times they lived in.

Usually, the ones ranting the most about their ancestors being the victims of these past injustices, if you looked deep into their ancestor's pasts as well, you would find just as many blemishes.
More bluntly the "Woke IDIOTS" need to shut the f**k up and go back to sleep.

I find it very ironic that the vast majority of these people are white, and for some reason feel guilty for being so, and imo just make things worse.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Interesting blend of modern and traditional architecture.

In fact, all buildings are early 20th century, some even a bit older. They were however, renovated in poor taste in the mid-80's of the last century by narrow sighted city planners. Now thankfully they have learned from their mistakes and do full outside recreations of the original designs. Inside those 'new' houses are very modern. (If I can find the time I will take a picture of such houses). The block on the far right is gone now and replaced by semi-modern architecture. Not bad but a bit out of place. I took this picture in 2011.

·
Super Moderator
9,377 Posts
It all looks breathtaking from here Frans ! :smile-thumb2: Both the old,
and the new. With your eyes not knowing what to go to first, or appreciate
next. :thumb::thumb:

On top of that, not only does everything catch your eye beauty, or design
wise. But things are so well maintained, and manicured that it looks brand
new ! ..It's amazing sir. Thanks very very much !!!

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
Pre WWII tugboats in an outdoor harbour museum:

·
Super Moderator
9,377 Posts
See that is what I mean sir. :smile-thumb2: ..The way your country takes
care of the past, and takes care to preserve the past is exceptional.

Not only do you guys keep those ships looking as if they were just built,
and brand new, but then they are actually museums too. :smile1:

Remarkable Frans !!! ..Thank you once again for all of these pics !

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Frans:
Since I'm retired (or is it RETARDED?) I LOAF!!!
But during the 40 years that RRs paid me to
operate their freight and passenger trains, All I
saw here in Texas were "Miles n miles of nothing
but miles n miles of nothing" Side trip to Rotterdam
in 2020. Trip to Finland iss kaput!!!

Lou Snutt

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
Art, let me wet your whistle a bit more. The SS Rotterdam, former HAL cruise liner, now a hotel, restaurant and bar. With a shallow swimming pool on the aft deck, specially for kids.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Frans:
Other nite I watched a WW2 documentary about the stand of Dutch against
the Huns at Rotterdam. Dutch had pluck!!!
Beautiful country. Beauiful patriotic people!!!

I like History.

Lou Snutt

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Kind of reminds me of the Chicago River in that city I was born and raised in, except you don't want to see what's floating in the water, Ha Ha!

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
Kind of reminds me of the Chicago River in that city I was born and raised in, except you don't want to see what's floating in the water, Ha Ha!

It is Delfshaven. Why this is important you will read in this WikiPedia link I provided -> click

·
Super Moderator
9,377 Posts
Frans, how can it get any better?!! :cool2: :smile-thumb:

Looks like a super relaxing afternoon enjoying some unforgettable
scenery there sir. :eek3: :eek: Honestly feel more relaxed on this end just
looking at your outstanding pics.

Thanks so much for sharing !!!

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #140