Watch Freeks banner

41 - 60 of 221 Posts

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I was thinking the same thing Roarry.
Could be a fun thread if it gets support.

You know Frans, this may be the start of a new catagory - "Show us a pic of your home town" or a point of historical or personal interest. It would be fun to have a peek at our respective worlds. I think so anyway.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
You know Frans, this may be the start of a new catagory - "Show us a pic of your home town" or a point of historical or personal interest. It would be fun to have a peek at our respective worlds. I think so anyway.
Good idea - why not go ahead and start it. If this thread is anything to go by, it should go down well

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Good idea - why not go ahead and start it. If this thread is anything to go by, it should go down well
I'll get out with my brownie & take some snaps. I'll post pics along with a few details, nothing lengthy. We'll see how it goes & play it by ear.

Please chime in with any ideas you may have.

:):) :cool::cool: :):)

·
Registered
476 Posts
Rotterdam, once the biggest port in the world (now just the biggest in Europe) sports 127 different nationalities, had the first ever Chinese restaurant in The Netherlands (in the Thirties, Red Light District), is called the 10th island of Cape Verde because we host the largest group of Cape Verdeans in my country. It was the city many Dutch used as a spring board to emigrate to the US, Canada and Australia (with the HAL, or Holland America Line).

We are often compared to New Yorkers, straight to the point, no-nonsense, hard working, big mouth and big heart. We will always be the second city behind Amsterdam. Hard core Rotterdammers never pronounce that city by its name but simply refer to it as '020' (the area code). Rotterdam is proudly referred to as '010' because it was the first city in The Netherlands to get a telephone system.

The city centre was completely demolished by a Nazi bombing in 1940 and that probably is the reason why the architecture keeps inventing itself and is world renowned. (Rem Koolhaas).

I was born here and I will die here.
Now that is what I call love for your the place were you live. Wonderful pictures if I may add. Thank you for sharing.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Frans:
I for one am glad you posted the pic.
Dutchmen have been plying the seas for many years.
I've always admired the Dutch seamen. Also the Finns.

The cruise ship built by Finns with collapsible smoke
stacks in order to pass under the Danish bridge on the
ships traverse to the Carribean. Stacks had to be low-
erd 1 meter.

Lou Snutt

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Taken this morning. This is a below ground level shopping area.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Lovely pics !I visited there and Amsterdam in 1973. I was but a young high schooler at the time but the beauty of your home country remains vivid in my memory and I will NEVER forget the beautiful countryside, the truly kind and genuine people and the ladies of the red light district who sat scantily clad in rocking chairs, in windows offering their wares. Now, those ladies, I will truly never forget...I think a boy became a man on that trip. The windmills were cool too by the way !

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Lovely pics !I visited there and Amsterdam in 1973. I was but a young high schooler at the time but the beauty of your home country remains vivid in my memory and I will NEVER forget the beautiful countryside, the truly kind and genuine people and the ladies of the red light district who sat scantily clad in rocking chairs, in windows offering their wares. Now, those ladies, I will truly never forget...I think a boy became a man on that trip. The windmills were cool too by the way !
1973 is a long, long time ago and a lot has changed since then. Those red light districts (both in Rotterdam and Amsterdam) have been closed down by force. In Rotterdam we had the most famous one of all called 'The Cape', located in a borough called Katendrecht. It was home to the first Chinese restaurant in The Netherlands and frequented mostly by sailors. Now the whole area is transformed into a place for hipsters, pop-up stores and experimental art galleries.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Another one, our Central Library in the evening (finished in 1978):

41 - 60 of 221 Posts