it's not even funny. But then the history you are giving behind everything
is wonderful as well. Holy cow, and the shape it's in, and fact that it is
still be used is unbelievable also. Amazing Frans, yowza thanks again
for the tour !!! 😉

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #282
Windmills were the heart of early Dutch industry. Grain mills, saw mills, water mills, they were everywhere before the advent of steam power and electricity. There were literally thousands in my country.

·
Super Moderator
10,896 Posts
Windmills were the heart of early Dutch industry. Grain mills, saw mills, water mills, they were everywhere before the advent of steam power and electricity. There were literally thousands in my country.
Fascinating sir, and you know, to tell the truth, never even knew windmills
had so many different purposes, or capabilities. 😲😀 Would be terrific
just to have a few of those around here, and see one. So even though
you guys may not have thousands anymore. I bet you still have a ton
to enjoy ! (y)🙂

THX once again Frans !!!

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #284

·
Super Moderator
10,896 Posts
Whoa, that's such a neat pic Frans ! :) I just can't get enough of how
you have that real appreciation for what's old. While at the same time,
blend in the most cutting edge ways of today. (y)(y) Alot of times when
a town, or city wants something shiny, and new, they often will get rid
of the old, and knock it down even. However, there's a definite, and very
cool appreciation for history there. Just love it ! Oh, and all the bikes too. 😉

Can't thank you enough for posting this up for all of us !!!

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #286
This is my current place of work, one of the 72 tank storage terminals that my company operates worldwide:

Reactions: worker and rh747m

·
Super Moderator
10,896 Posts
Now that's cool Frans, and check out that whole area there too ! Wow !!! 🤯
Then on top of that, there are another 71 all over the world?! 😵 Actually
is incredible to learn about, and it has to be really something to work for,
or at. Now have to ask, have you ever been on one of those awesome
ships?! Or maybe even visited some of the other facilities that are around
the world too?! Are they similar?! Bigger? Smaller I mean? ..In any case,
it's so neat to see Frans. Amazing stuff ! ..Thanks again !!! 😀

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #288
Now that's cool Frans, and check out that whole area there too ! Wow !!! 🤯
Then on top of that, there are another 71 all over the world?! 😵 Actually
is incredible to learn about, and it has to be really something to work for,
or at. Now have to ask, have you ever been on one of those awesome
ships?! Or maybe even visited some of the other facilities that are around
the world too?! Are they similar?! Bigger? Smaller I mean? ..In any case,
it's so neat to see Frans. Amazing stuff ! ..Thanks again !!! 😀
In my previous job I visited those ships many times to talk through the discharge or loading plan and have documents signed. And the first officer would most often offer you a beer or even something stronger. But those days are long gone as this potentially creates hazardous situations and it is now an act that will get you fired on the spot so to speak. On the larger vessels you were even invited to join their New Years party with a buffet and drinks when they happened to be at the jetty on 31 December. Nothing but hospitality. I have visited our largest terminal in The Netherlands, the one on the picture has a 480,000 cbm capacity, all edible oils and fats. That’s why the offices are on the premises. No flammable liquids.

Reactions: rh747m

·
Super Moderator
10,896 Posts
In my previous job I visited those ships many times to talk through the discharge or loading plan and have documents signed. And the first officer would most often offer you a beer or even something stronger. But those days are long gone as this potentially creates hazardous situations and it is now an act that will get you fired on the spot so to speak. On the larger vessels you were even invited to join their New Years party with a buffet and drinks when they happened to be at the jetty on 31 December. Nothing but hospitality. I have visited our largest terminal in The Netherlands, the one on the picture has a 480,000 cbm capacity, all edible oils and fats. That’s why the offices are on the premises. No flammable liquids.
The good old days right Frans?! 😄😀Well at least you did actually get
to go on the ships. (y)(y) I was thinking when asking that the answer
would be no actually. So to hear that you did actually did have so many
visits to the ship is terrific ! Ten on top of that, it evidently wasn't always
for business, like with the New Years parties, and everything. Very cool,
and those facilities both big, and smaller ones are just extraordinary. 😯
Really appreciate you telling us about everything, and giving all of the
insight sir !!!

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #290
This is a view from the park that is adjacent our head office (the building on the right, picture taken Summer 2019):

Reactions: worker and rh747m

·
Super Moderator
10,896 Posts
So nice Frans, and love how you'll have these giant buildings, along
with older ones teamed up. Then it's all within this stunning, park-like
landscape here. 😀😎 Seriously, it seems like one second you can
feel like you are totally within the city. Then the very next, like you are
going on a nice picnic in the country. 🙂It's the best of both worlds
when you think about it, and is so neat to have a chance to see. Thx
very very much for showing us around Frans !!!

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #292 (Edited)
A blast from the past, the Rotterdam subsidiary of department store chain 'De Bijenkorf' ('The Beehive'). Designed in the late 50s by American architect Marcel Breuer (Wassily chair). It replaced the building designed by the then most famous architect of The Netherlands, Dudok. ((His building was situated a couple of hundred meters down the road and when opened was the largest department store in Europe).

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I studied some of Dudok's work in college when I was an architecture major. His famous Raadhuis van Hilversum among others:

Marcel Breuer's chair was design was the Wassily chair, because I was a furniture nerd :D and bought a Mies van der Rohe Barcelona chair. Actually a reproduction, but beautiful.

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #294
I studied some of Dudok's work in college when I was an architecture major. His famous Raadhuis van Hilversum among others:

Marcel Breuer's chair was design was the Wassily chair, because I was a furniture nerd :D and bought a Mies van der Rohe Barcelona chair. Actually a reproduction, but beautiful.
Yes, you are all too right on this. Don't know what came over me. I even know that Mies van der Rohe designed that timeless Barcelona chair. What colour did you decide on? Near to where I live is another building designed by Dudok (a bank I believe) and it has been converted to a restaurant called........ Dudok. They are famous for their 'Dudok apple-pie'.

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #295
We are blessed with great architects and designers. Willem Rietveld and Sybold van Ravesteyn (Rotterdam ZOO Blijdorp) are among my favourites. Rem Koolhaas belongs to the newer generation.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Yes, you are all too right on this. Don't know what came over me. I even know that Mies van der Rohe designed that timeless Barcelona chair. What colour did you decide on? Near to where I live is another building designed by Dudok (a bank I believe) and it has been converted to a restaurant called........ Dudok. They are famous for their 'Dudok apple-pie'.
Just classic black, though I do like the brown leather and lighter tan ones too. The architectural talent there is undeniable. I feel Seattle is a beautiful city architecturally, but there are some horrible, eyesore buildings that I wish would never have gained approval 😠- probably could say that about most major cities.

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #297
Just classic black, though I do like the brown leather and lighter tan ones too. The architectural talent there is undeniable. I feel Seattle is a beautiful city architecturally, but there are some horrible, eyesore buildings that I wish would never have gained approval 😠- probably could say that about most major cities.
Indeed, in Rotterdam, especially in the 80s, terrible mistakes were made (as I have dwellled on in earlier posts). Tearing down complete blocks of early 20th Century houses or renovating such blocks in just the most tasteless manner possible, think plastic window frames and Trespa (high pressure laminate) façade covering in pale blue. Now they are following a different route but the damage is already done in some areas. But there was immense pressure to provide housing fast for a growing population of immigrants and the less well off.

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #298
The reason I posted that Marcel Breuer design is twofold. The design is very 60s, an era that I love when it comes to architecture. Inside it was all white marble. matt chrome and wood (alas, it is 'modernised' now). And it was a 'temple' for the upper class. My parents went there from time to time, not to buy but just to look in awe to all those unreachable goods. In the good ol' days they had theme weeks, visiting a different country each year. And they introduced that first LED watch to a large crowd and among that crowd were my father and myself. I believe that Pulsar was 1,300 guilders, an insane amount of money in an era where a simple worker like my dad earned 150 a week or less. (They would get their pay in an elongated brown envelope with a tab that showed how it was calculated. No bank account back then, all cash).

281 - 298 of 298 Posts