Watch Freeks banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Aspiring Expert
1,439 Posts
I serviced a Rolex 3135 once, They are nice to work on other than I had to buy a special case opening set to do it...

Prob more than $500 for a full watch rejuvenation like what's shown in the gif, prob more like $1,500 but I don't really know...

·
Long Time Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was being facetious with the $500, of course.

I have a Datejust that needs a full service, but the cost is absurd.
I'll do it myself one day, after lots of practice on Chinese clone.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Senior Novice
3,042 Posts
I serviced a Rolex 3135 once, They are nice to work on other than I had to buy a special case opening set to do it...

...a full watch rejuvenation...
How many hours do you suppose that caliber of cleaning would take?

The pros make it look easy. That's a beautiful watch I couldn't image wearing, I'll bet it could grow on me though.

·
Aspiring Expert
1,439 Posts
How many hours do you suppose that caliber of cleaning would take?

The pros make it look easy. That's a beautiful watch I couldn't image wearing, I'll bet it could grow on me though.
I followed this excellent watch service tech's videos! It went very smoothly and it took about 2 hours for the movement service...

His calm reassuring voice helped a lot... :cool:

·
Long Time Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[mention]Accutronitis [/mention] did you do a full disassembly + cleaning?

·
Aspiring Expert
1,439 Posts
[mention]Accutronitis [/mention] did you do a full disassembly + cleaning?
Yes, I followed everything the tech did in his 3 videos, I did have one opps moment when I pinched a screw too tight and it flew out of the tweezers and on to the floor, It took me about an hour to find it, I've learned how to grip screws with a much lighter grip with the tweezers since then... lol

I've learned that it is much better to grip something too lightly and drop it straight down than to grip it too tightly and have it fly off into no man's land! lol

·
Super Moderator
11,852 Posts
Whoa, it’s transformed back to new it looks like now ! o_O 😮

That is pretty spectacular to see, along with just see done
to be honest. Every piece of the watch was returned to it’s
original condition. Really is wonderful w4, thank you very
very much for posting !!! (y)

Going to check your videos out as well Steve ! Thank you
as well for those !!! 😉

·
Senior Novice
3,042 Posts
Yes, I followed everything the tech did in his 3 videos, I did have one opps moment when I pinched a screw too tight and it flew out of the tweezers and on to the floor, It took me about an hour to find it, I've learned how to grip screws with a much lighter grip with the tweezers since then... lol

I've learned that it is much better to grip something too lightly and drop it straight down than to grip it too tightly and have it fly off into no man's land! lol
Sounds like crazy good time, I would've called it a full day. You a skilled hand no doubt.
How does it work if a part's busted or worn-out? Are authentic parts accessible?

·
Senior Novice
3,042 Posts
The Watch Repair gentleman is brilliant by the way.
I watched him restore at least one complication that was staggering, it was like hanging on during a good movie; he's a pleasure to follow. Thank You for the great links.

·
Aspiring Expert
1,439 Posts
Sounds like crazy good time, I would've called it a full day. You a skilled hand no doubt.
How does it work if a part's busted or worn-out? Are authentic parts accessible?
Genuine Rolex factory parts can be found all over eBay but they cost a LOT! They are there "New" and "serviceable used", I've yet to see aftermarket Rolex replacement parts for sale anywhere, I think Rolex would put a stop to that very quickly AND aggressively!

No "clone watch" parts of any kind will work in a genuine Rolex watch, Not even from a so-called "super clone" Rolex watch, they look very similar BUT they will not work!

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,395 Posts

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
Good luck with that, I blew up a Seiko just trying to regulate a 6R15 movement. 😢 😢

·
Aspiring Expert
1,439 Posts
Good luck with that, I blew up a Seiko just trying to regulate a 6R15 movement. 😢 😢
What did you do, mess up the hairspring? slip and break a balance wheel pinion?

Both can easily happen...

·
Long Time Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good luck with that, I blew up a Seiko just trying to regulate a 6R15 movement.
Lol, exactly. That’s why I said “one day”. Probably never.

But Rolex gets their customers by the nuts.
Independent watchsmith can’t get parts, forcing you to go through them for exorbitant dough!
It’s a racket, that’s what I think.

·
Aspiring Expert
1,439 Posts

Independent watchsmith can’t get parts, forcing you to go through them for exorbitant dough!
You don't really "buy" a Rolex, Rolex just lets you wear it as long as you want and they control everything else! sort of like leasing a car, only you make all the payments upfront!

Reactions: Robotaz

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,395 Posts

From the phony "Haute Horology" mantra to the brilliant marketing to get the average rube to think a well-built stainless steel Sub is a status symbol worthy of paying three times the price over a superiorly built watch (Omega Seamaster 300 Master Chronometer) costs is a true work of genius.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts