Watch Freeks banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm not a Rolex owner and I'm also not in the market for one either, but I do have a question that I'm curious about.

I like to peruse WatchRecon...OK, I admit I spend too much time on there and it's dangerous. Any way I've noticed that many Rolex postings specifically state "random serial number".

Why is that?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I guess because whoever is selling has either:
1. More than one of these watches for sale, so chances are the photos don't reflect the actual watch.
2. Has none of these watches for sale and will source one after you've paid for it

Either way, I wouldn't touch one as people who care about and deal in Rolex would know the serial. They're the best way to date the watch and aren't hard to find.

·
Administrator
11,415 Posts
I guess because whoever is selling has either:
1. More than one of these watches for sale, so chances are the photos don't reflect the actual watch.
2. Has none of these watches for sale and will source one after you've paid for it

Either way, I wouldn't touch one as people who care about and deal in Rolex would know the serial. They're the best way to date the watch and aren't hard to find.

Both wrong.

The random serial number relates to the ordering of how Rolex used to serial their watches. It used to be standardized and you could tell when the watch was produced by the serial number...this is no longer the case and the serials are now unique random numbers, with no order.

Read this, it will explain in a bit more detail:

https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-serial-numbers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
11,415 Posts
It's nice to learn new stuff

Next time, if you don't know, don't give wrong advise. It could have lead the OP in a bad direction or broken up a solid deal.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Both wrong.

The random serial number relates to the ordering of how Rolex used to serial their watches. It used to be standardized and you could tell when the watch was produced by the serial number...this is no longer the case and the serials are now unique random numbers, with no order.

Read this, it will explain in a bit more detail:

https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-serial-numbers

Thanks for the info!

Its so common in listings, I knew there had to be a good explanation.

Again, I'm not in the market, just a curiosity I had every time I saw that statement.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts