Watch Freeks banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, back in May 2020, Dad gifted me a Datejust that he bought back in 2004 for my 47th birthday.

He wore it well. Banged it up. Wore it daily - everywhere from the gym to painting houses.

This is the before shot:

He never had it serviced and it didn’t seem to being running that well. Plus, there was paint in every little crevice of the jubilee bracelet.

So, I finally took it down to Torneau a few months back and sent it in for service.

The movement was serviced, crown and crystal replaced and the entire piece was polished.

On Monday, Torneau called and said that Dad’s watch was ready.

I spoke with the repair technician who sized the bracelet while I waited.

I asked him if I should wear it only on special occasions because it belongs to my 77 year old father and means a great deal to me.

He said the following:

“You should wear this everyday, especially when your father is around. He looked at it forty or fifty times a day when it was his. You will look at it forty or fifty times a day while it is yours, and someday you will give it to your child, and he or she will give it to their child. And this watch can be passed down for generations.”

Of course, I immediately felt a lump in my throat.

Here is the watch after having been serviced.

I’ve decided I’m that I am not the owner of this watch.

I’m merely holding onto it for Dad, so that I can pass it on to his grandson some time down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Super Moderator
15,088 Posts
What a post Gabriel ! 🏆🥇

Man oh man, very moving, and so so true too. You're watch technician
really gets it. (y)But so does your dad, as well as you ! 😉😉Not only
is this watch one that leaves us watch fans in awe with it's beauty, as
well as brand history. But it's a symbol of so much more right?!

It's your dads', and that's something magical, and wonderful. And just
imagining it on your wrist, and younger wrists down the road is just
THE best, and really spectacular. Can't really even put it into words,
but I'm glad that you get it, and all of us here do.

By the way, the watch looks as stunning as it did back in 2004 I bet ! 😀
Can't thank you enough for the look, as well as story !!!

·
1,672 Posts
So, back in May 2020, Dad gifted me a Datejust that he bought back in 2004 for my 47th birthday.

He wore it well. Banged it up. Wore it daily - everywhere from the gym to painting houses.

This is the before shot:

He never had it serviced and it didn’t seem to being running that well. Plus, there was paint in every little crevice of the jubilee bracelet.

So, I finally took it down to Torneau a few months back and sent it in for service.

The movement was serviced, crown and crystal replaced and the entire piece was polished.

On Monday, Torneau called and said that Dad’s watch was ready.

I spoke with the repair technician who sized the bracelet while I waited.

I asked him if I should wear it only on special occasions because it belongs to my 77 year old father and means a great deal to me.

He said the following:

“You should wear this everyday, especially when your father is around. He looked at it forty or fifty times a day when it was his. You will look at it forty or fifty times a day while it is yours, and someday you will give it to your child, and he or she will give it to their child. And this watch can be passed down for generations.”

Of course, I immediately felt a lump in my throat.

Here is the watch after having been serviced.

I’ve decided I’m that I am not the owner of this watch.

I’m merely holding onto it for Dad, so that I can pass it on to his grandson some time down the road.

I agree with Watch maker, wear it often and proud, put your own patina on it so it has your story also, Watches are made to be worn not coddled in some cushy case for their entire life, Enjoy it! and it's looks awesome

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lawyer Aidroos

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your nice comments!!!!

I really appreciate the encouragement to wear Dad’s watch.

This especially rang true last night when speaking with my parents on the telephone. Th y only live a 30 minute car ride away, but found themselves alone in the local hospital emergency room because mom was not feeling well. Because of Covid, the hospital is only allowing Dad to stay with Mom, so I couldn’t even go there to keep them company.

Later that night, Mom was admitted for observation, and Dad was home alone - an infrequent occurrences during their 53 years of marriage.

During the course of our phone call, he explained that he hoped that someday, when it is their time, that he hopes that his time comes first, so painful is the thought of living without her.

And as he said that, I looked down at his watch and felt a lump rising again in my throat and thought that I can’t wait to visit with them both and show them Dad’s watch all polished up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts