Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's the current Gray Market price for a Rolex Sub 40mm ($14,495.00) on Jomashop...Yowza..WTF??

Unless you have money to burn and don't give a shitt, paying this kind of money for a watch that isn't even close to being superior to my $5k Omega Seamaster, that is beyond insanity!

I own a 16610 Sub, that one and the one for $14,495 don't come close to being the watch my Omega is. You must be required to drink a gallon of the Rolex Kool-Aid before throwing that much money out just to prove to the great unwashed you can afford it, and they can't, so you can fluff your Watch-Snob Bullfeathers!

·
Registered
630 Posts
Here's the current Gray Market price for a Rolex Sub 40mm ($14,495.00) on Jomashop...Yowza..WTF??

Unless you have money to burn and don't give a shitt, paying this kind of money for a watch that isn't even close to being superior to my $5k Omega Seamaster, that is beyond insanity!

I own a 16610 Sub, that one and the one for $14,495 don't come close to being the watch my Omega is. You must be required to drink a gallon of the Rolex Kool-Aid before throwing that much money out just to prove to the great unwashed you can afford it, and they can't, so you can fluff your Watch-Snob Bullfeathers!

Rolex's are no longer watches, they are a form of investment.

·
Super Moderator
11,360 Posts
It has to be one of the most interesting, and intriguing of topics
Chaz. 🙂 Rolex, vs. Omega, and honestly what is seen as being
a reasonable amount for a watch. (y)😉 It’s probably been a hot
topic forever, and something that's been talked about since way
before the watch forums were ever even a dream people had.
Seriously, can imagine it's been talked about since the two
brands first came about.

I know from just being a bystander, I love the passion of the fans
of both brands sir. Guess it's almost like being a fan of a sports
team right?! Although it's cool how you have watches from both
companies actually, and can experience both like this. 😎 Guess
it all does depend on personal preference like Mockbel said.
I mean I am someone who actually likes both if you can believe
it.

As for the pricing, I get it, and don't understand pricing in general. 😄
I think it's because I try to figure how much a watch cost to make.
And most of the time that seems so much less than what companies
actually charge. It's really something honestly. And it goes for the
big brands like Rolex, and Omega, and actually many of the more
affordable brands as well. But I guess at least the more affordable
brands aren't upping the prices quite as much. It's all so interesting
actually Chaz ! ..I think I kind of went off topic, 😊but thanks very
very much for this topic sir !!!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Many other watches that are superior to Rolex. Breguet,Glashutte Original, Dornblüth,Moser & Cie, Omega. There is a long list of watches that IMHO are a better buy.

Reactions: FBPB and Roarry

·
Registered
1,913 Posts

To each their own way. Should always be so. Chaz, I think you've been drinking someone else's Kool-Aid. I don't "throw money around" You are becoming an insult machine to those who enjoy the Rolex brand.
Btw, I wear all my Rolex watches on my wrist, not under other people's noses.
Enjoy your Omega, I also enjoy all of mine.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rolex's are no longer watches, they are a form of investment.
Gold and Apple Stocks are an investment, Rolex prices are a hyped up scam that will eventually collapse the prices leaving their owners really truly screwed!

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
To each their own way. Should always be so. Chaz, I think you've drinking someone else's Kool-Aid. I don't "throw money around" You are becoming an insult machine to those who enjoy the Rolex brand.
Btw, I wear all my Rolex watches on my wrist, not under other people's noses.
Enjoy your Omega, I also enjoy all of mine.

So could you honestly tell me you would drop $15k on a Sub??

BTW, I have owned a Rolex Sub since 1996 when I picked it up new for $1,800, I used to enjoy Rolex when it was just a Watch, not some insane status symbol!

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It has to be one of the most interesting, and intriguing of topics
Chaz. 🙂 Rolex, vs. Omega, and honestly what is seen as being
a reasonable amount for a watch. (y)😉 It’s probably been a hot
topic forever, and something that's been talked about since way
before the watch forums were ever even a dream people had.
Seriously, can imagine it's been talked about since the two
brands first came about.

I know from just being a bystander, I love the passion of the fans
of both brands sir. Guess it's almost like being a fan of a sports
team right?! Although it's cool how you have watches from both
companies actually, and can experience both like this. 😎 Guess
it all does depend on personal preference like Mockbel said.
I mean I am someone who actually likes both if you can believe
it.

As for the pricing, I get it, and don't understand pricing in general. 😄
I think it's because I try to figure how much a watch cost to make.
And most of the time that seems so much less than what companies
actually charge. It's really something honestly. And it goes for the
big brands like Rolex, and Omega, and actually many of the more
affordable brands as well. But I guess at least the more affordable
brands aren't upping the prices quite as much. It's all so interesting
actually Chaz ! ..I think I kind of went off topic, 😊but thanks very
very much for this topic sir !!!

I'm not off-topic at all, I purchased my 16610 in 1996 for $1,800, I thought back then that, that was an outrageous price, but wanted the luxury status watch Kool-Aid to show (what Rolex used to advertise) "I had arrived" for all the world to see.

I have since outgrown that snob appeal feelings. Anyone who is a watch enthusiast and wants to drop $15k for a Stainless Steel Sub, and not wealthy, needs their heads examined!

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
So could you honestly tell me you would drop $15k on a Sub??

BTW, I have owned a Rolex Sub since 1996 when I picked it up new for $1,800, I used to enjoy Rolex when it was just a Watch, not some insane status symbol!
No Chaz, I wouldn't pay $15k on a Sub unless it was gold :cool: I do not pay msrp for Rolex, Omega, Oris, Tudor or 23 other brands that my AD carries. I'm able to get substantial discounts.
I don't think of any watch brand as a status symbol. I know you have a sub from 1996, you've told us countless times.
BTW, have you noticed how quickly Omegas are going up in price? Taken from Rolexes playbook.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Gold and Apple Stocks are an investment, Rolex prices are a hyped up scam that will eventually collapse the prices leaving their owners really truly screwed!
Here we go. Hyped up scams can be found all over. Rolex is not by far the only example. You point to them because you are now on the Omega bandwagon. It'll pass. Apple is not a scam?1? Best example ever.

·
Super Moderator
11,360 Posts
Well said... However, I a bit disagree with treating watch makers as sport teams.. for sport, usually one will support or love one team exclusively... which is not the case in watches.. normally you will love many.. I love all my watches and they are all in different brands.. You may still find someone who loves certain brand exclusively but at least I am not that kinda guy.. for what you can say “Luxury Watches”, I have been loving my Tag Heuer Carrera, now I have the Rolex Batman which I equally love, and my next watch would be an Omega but definitely this won’t be soon as I need some time to recover from the Rolex’s price :)
I'm not off-topic at all, I purchased my 16610 in 1996 for $1,800, I thought back then that, that was an outrageous price, but wanted the luxury status watch Kool-Aid to show (what Rolex used to advertise) "I had arrived" for all the world to see.

I have since outgrown that snob appeal feelings. Anyone who is a watch enthusiast and wants to drop $15k for a Stainless Steel Sub, and not wealthy, needs their heads examined!
😀😉Yup, we are in agreement Mockbel, and Chaz. (y)(y)

I am a multi-team fan when it comes to watches as well. To the point
where I literally have a tough time picking a favorite team, or watch
brand in this case. 😄 ..And Chaz, was actually saying that 'I' went
off topic, not that you did sir. 🙂

·
Registered
Tag Heuer Carrera
27 Posts
[QUOTE="Chazman1946, post: 2765985, member: 67953"
[/QUOTE]
Unnecessary statement

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
No Chaz, I wouldn't pay $15k on a Sub unless it was gold :cool: I do not pay msrp for Rolex, Omega, Oris, Tudor or 23 other brands that my AD carries. I'm able to get substantial discounts.
I don't think of any watch brand as a status symbol. I know you have a sub from 1996, you've told us countless times.
BTW, have you noticed how quickly Omegas are going up in price? Taken from Rolexes playbook.
There is a couple of particular models of Omega I really like, and I've watched their price grow over the past 5 or 6 years. I think you make a good point here, Roarry.
Rolex has never been much of a looker for me. I think the Yacht Master GMT has some appeal, and the Air King even more. However, I'd go with Omega before Rolex simply because I like the design of the watches more, and I find the mechanics of the Co-Axial escapement to be really intriguing and a benefit to the technology of time keeping.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Yep Omega has gone up in prices as well, but not to an insanity level. Less than two years ago you could buy an Explorer 1 for around $6k, now they are $9.5k!

"I don't think of any watch brand as a status symbol"

Maybe you don't, but the average middle-class rube out there isn't going to shell out $15k for a stainless steel watch unless there is a "Status Symbol" attached to it. I know, I used to be one of them!

Rolex indeed is a status symbol to the non-watch enthusiast, it is the very reason they purchase it over many watches that are of a higher Haute horology for the same price!

Blancpain 50 Fathoms for example!

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
[QUOTE="Chazman1946, post: 2765985, member: 67953"
Unnecessary statement
[/QUOTE]

Not unnecessary at all, just my honest opinion, if you are living on a middle-class income and want to drop $15k just to have a watch that has the name "Rolex" on the dial, and there is really no way in reality that it meets up to the intrinsic value to that price, then you are very foolish with your money, especially in hard times..

But as P.T. Barnum once said "A fool and his money, are soon parted"!

·
Registered
377 Posts
For half the price of a Submariner (retail), you can walk into just about any Omega retailer and buy a watch that looks twice as good as a Rolex (imo), and which not everyone and their dog is wearing:

·
Super Moderator
11,360 Posts
That really is a beauty FB, and not one we see too much
just as you said ! 🙂 So elegant, and sharp looking, but
a little different. Love the cool little touches with just the
center of the dial really. 😯

·
Registered
Tag Heuer Carrera
27 Posts
No need to curse a highly desired brand just to mention that there are other “subjectively” better options... Why not just saying “This Omega is beautiful and in good price”? Why should the statement include a reference to a higher desirable brand?
I just can’t stand statements like this in everything... similar to “This Samick is great, it is better than any Gibson out there “ or “This Toyota blows any BMW” bla bla bla

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
No need to curse a highly desired brand just to mention that there are other “subjectively” better options... Why not just saying “This Omega is beautiful and in good price”? Why should the statement include a reference to a higher desirable brand?
I just can’t stand statements like this in everything... similar to “This Samick is great, it is better than any Gibson out there “ or “This Toyota blows any BMW” bla bla bla
I agree. I don't understand why some people feel the need to brag about certain watch brands at the expense of putting other brands down. It just isn't necessary and can be offensive to others.

Reactions: FBPB and Mockbel2
1 - 20 of 20 Posts