Watch Freeks banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
24,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-suffolk-35106665

A 75-year-old man has been reunited with his cherished Rolex watch, a year and a half after he lost it in a river.

Sam Brown feared he would never see his watch again after it fell off when he fell in the River Orwell in July 2014.

But it was found last week during the annual dredging of the silt at the Suffolk Yacht Harbour.

The Rolex Sea Dweller was a 50th birthday present from his wife Camilla Herrmann, who gave it to him on the day their son was christened.

Ms Herrmann said her husband, who had a stroke three years ago which affects his mobility and speech, is "so delighted" to have it back.

The watch, which was designed for diving, was bought second-hand in 1990 and a replacement would now cost £6,500, Ms Herrmann said.

"It was one of the best presents I've ever given him. It's engraved on the back, saying 'to Sam from Camilla, with love and thanks'. It was not just a nice watch, but something that had quite a lot of significance on different levels," she said.

It "disappeared completely" when her husband, who is a former professional diver, fell in the river while walking down the jetty to their boat, she said.

"I normally wheel him, but it was a nice morning and he wanted to walk. He dropped his walking stick and he bent down to pick it up and he just kept on bending," she said.

He was taken to hospital and made a full recovery but remained upset about the watch, Ms Herrmann said.

"It was just sad. The most important thing though was that Sam was still with us," she said.

The couple, who have two sons, had "totally given up" on finding it until last Sunday when they received a phone call from someone who checks what is pumped out of the dredger.

It was found in the same area where Mr Brown dropped it. "I was stunned into silence, I didn't know what to say. It was absolutely extraordinary. He recognised it by the engraving on the back and managed to track us down" she said.

The watch now only works if you move it, but they will be sending it off to be repaired in the new year.

"I can't tell you how pleased he is. He was just wreathed in smiles when he got it. He was going around saying 'I can't believe it, I can't believe it'. He was more than touched," she said.http://www.watchfreeks.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
What a FANTASTIC story, especially for this time of the year!

If I were an exec at Rolex:

I would personally take responsibility for the refurbishment of Mr. Brown's watch, travel to his home with my Swiss entourage to present it to him, along with a watch for everyone in the family and a certificate from Rolex congratulating Mr. Brown on the finding of his watch and thanking him for being a member of the Rolex family.

Thanks for sharing this wonderful heartwarming story, Spaceview!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!!!

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Great story, but man that watch took a beating in that water, main point is he got his treasure back and that's what counts! What a story that watch will carry now.

Happy for him!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Great story, but man that watch took a beating in that water, main point is he got his treasure back and that's what counts! What a story that watch will carry now.

Happy for him!
X2 -- that watch is even more special now that it has taken an improbable journey from being hopelessly lost to back into the hands of its owner.

I have heard of Rolexes being lost at sea -- one went bouncing off the deck of my friends sail boat into about 300m of the great blue waters of the south pacific ocean. $10k lost in a few seconds.

EDIT: if I do activities like those I am going NATO

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
According to Hacko there are loads of Rolexes in Sydney harbour because owners don't maintain the bracelets correctly.
It makes sense then to wear this watch on a Nato or a Zulu.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
It makes sense then to wear this watch on a Nato or a Zulu.
For this to work the watch needs to be modified. Drill the lug holes completely through to accept a 1.5mm solid SS pin and solder that to the case. If not, the telescopic (standard) pins remain a weak point and if the band gets caught the watch might drop. I've tried this, one pull and the pin bends like it was made from lead :D

·
Administrator
11,415 Posts
For this to work the watch needs to be modified. Drill the lug holes completely through to accept a 1.5mm solid SS pin and solder that to the case. If not, the telescopic (standard) pins remain a weak point and if the band gets caught the watch might drop. I've tried this, one pull and the pin bends like it was made from lead :D
However, the other springbar would still hold and the watch would flop around, but not drop. The only way the watch would be lost is if both springbars failed.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
However, the other springbar would still hold and the watch would flop around, but not drop. The only way the watch would be lost is if both springbars failed.
So true!

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Freeks
This tale is almost like the guy whose toe something metallic in the beach sand
at Miami.
It was a Rolex! Finder took it the MIami PD and PD showed zero interest. Guy
checks with USA Rolex Registry. No reported losses or thefts.

Guy was at an impasse and is waiting for rightful owner to ID watch. So far no
contacts, IMHO I believe someone of foreign citizenship lost watch and didnt persue
the matter. Who gives up on having his Rollie returned? Certainly not Lou Snutt.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts