Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a Rolex in my future. I want a real luxury watch. I know the standard one to get is the Sub. But this watch seems so ubiquitous. It is literally everywhere. Plus the number of copies of this dive watch out there that's are similar or outright copies makes me think I want another model. Of course I would like a Daytona but these are out of my price range
I noticed the Explorer recently and these seem to be good looking and a bit sporty. Pricing seems to be about 20-25% lower than a Sub but not always.
Do any of you have one? If so what model number d your prefer?
Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,510 Posts
I owned a Sub (16610) but never an Explorer. We all know that in 2010 Rolex increased the size from 36 to 39mm. That's the most visible change. The first edition, BTW, had a white dial.

The Explorer is the Rolex reduced to the essence. And I like that. Not as 'in your face' Rolex as some other models but still a Rolex. A Rolex for a true connoisseur so to speak.

I did a quick search in my own country and the 39mm sells for much more but they are at most 5 years old so that stands to reason. 36mm is considered very small now but when they first hit the market that was a normal size and that would make it difficult for me to make a choice. An older (vintage even) 'original' or a new 'modern' exemplar?

A lot has been written, if you like some controversy Google 'Walt Odets Rolex review' :D

I'm babbling along here like an idiot but let me finish by stating that if I were to buy a Rolex again it would be an Explorer!

Reactions: Roarry and okcmco

·
Registered
5,510 Posts
Thanks for your insight. I really appreciate it

Don't think too much of it. I'm a watch collector for over thirty years and have owned up to Rolex territory. I know what I like but don't possess any intrinsic technical watch knowledge. I want to stress that to me 'Rolex territory' does not mean that they provide the world with the absolute epitome of high end watch making. But heaving said that, Rolex are the most recognisable watch brand in that same world.

Reactions: Roarry

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rolex is the Porche of the watch world. Assuredly of high quality. Instantly cognizable. Not the finest or best or most expensive super car. But it is definitely a benchmark.
I have also been thinking Omega.....

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Having owned a Sea Dweller I can say they are nice, but after while I wanted to own something more. By that I mean a lot more
So I sold it and bought the many watches and all are as good
Now Depreciation on driving off the lot with a new car is far more than the new Rolex

·
Registered
4,915 Posts
I have looked at the new 39mm Rolex Explorers on several occasions and been very tempted to drop the hammer on one, only thing holding me back is it's lack of a date complication.

I use my watch to check the date, often! Any watch without it would not ring my bell, especially at a price of around $6K.

If it had a discreet (no cyclops) date window (located at the 6 O'clock position or so) I probably would have one, it would be the perfect do-it-all daily wearer.

Reactions: okcmco

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
I agree the explorer is not as common as a Submariner and if I was to purchase a Rolex the white explorer would be the one for me as well. I know they are great watches but i haven't been bitten by the Rolex bug yet s I don't have one.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have looked at the new 39mm Rolex Explorers on several occasions and been very tempted to drop the hammer on one, only thing holding me back is it's lack of a date complication.

I use my watch to check the date, often! Any watch without it would not ring my bell, especially at a price of around $6K.

If it had a discreet (no cyclops) date window (located at the 6 O'clock position or so) I probably would have one, it would be the perfect do-it-all daily wearer.

Some of the explorer II have date complications

·
Registered
5,510 Posts
I agree the explorer is not as common as a Submariner and if I was to purchase a Rolex the white explorer would be the one for me as well. I know they are great watches but i haven't been bitten by the Rolex bug yet s I don't have one.
The black dial for me but I'll be honest: I can't afford one.

Reactions: okcmco

·
Registered
5,510 Posts
A lot of people can't afford a lot of things but they still show up on their wrists or in the driveway
Not in this home. We want to go on vacation to Indonesia this year and that is something for both of us. Euros can only be spent once :D And a watch is just a watch :D

·
Registered
4,915 Posts
Some of the explorer II have date complications

They all have date windows to my knowledge, if I was ever inclined to purchase another Rolex, the white dial Explorer II would be my choice, problem is they are over $8K right now.

·
Registered
4,915 Posts
Not in this home. We want to go on vacation to Indonesia this year and that is something for both of us. Euros can only be spent once :D And a watch is just a watch :D
LOL If a "Watch was just a Watch", none of us would be on these boards, would we.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I had a blast in Indonesia. Lovely people. Wonderful food. Rainforests. What is not to like

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They all have date windows to my knowledge, if I was ever inclined to purchase another Rolex, the white dial Explorer II would be my choice, problem is they are over $8K right now.

I have only bough the one watch new. Over 2 dozen pre owned. You can get a decent one in excellent condition with box and papers for between 4K and 5k

·
Registered
5,510 Posts

·
Registered
5,510 Posts
This is the 2016 Explorer, notice the (now) proportional minute hand. Boy, do I want this watch! C'mon windfall, where are you?

Reactions: okcmco and Roarry

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
A lot of people can't afford a lot of things but they still show up on their wrists or in the driveway
Yes, so true. I would be asking (to myself) the how & why questions.
We (most) live in a world where almost anything is attainable without a second thought, providing we borrow for it. Sadly, too many people live well beyond their means. IMO, dangerous habit. Again, IMO, not good to borrow unless it's a need. Our North American economy is a house of cards. Our governments have been warning us for many a year. :(

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
It is the government that has create this mess. City, state and local in my case
The federal side has spent us to the point we are technically bankrupt. They not warn us, others do.

We have been had by government created state unions and those who want freebies.

It was foretold by founding fathers, that's the truth

Buy the watch, get food from trading later

1 - 20 of 42 Posts