Watch Freeks banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Christmas Dinner

I order this from my butcher every year. I ordered a 8 lb roast dry aged for 30 days...Here is the recipe...Family loves it...You can tweak the recipe to what you like and obviously on the size of the roast also sine mine is 8 lbs and this recipe calls for a 6 lbs...Enjoy

Ingredients
  • 1 bone in prime rib beef roast, 3 ribs, about 6 pounds5 garlic cloves, smashed1/4 cup grated fresh or prepared horseradish Leaves from 2 fresh rosemary sprigs Leaves from 4 fresh thyme sprigs, 4 to 5 tablespoons kosher salt ,1/4 cup freshly ground black pepper, 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, 1/2 cup dry white wine, 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, 2 cups canned chicken or beef broth
Directions Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Lay the beef in a large roasting pan with the bone side down. (The ribs act as a natural roasting rack.) In a small bowl mash together the garlic, horseradish, rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper, and olive oil to make a paste. Massage the paste generously over the entire roast. Put the pan in the oven and roast the beef until the internal temperature of the meat registers 125 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer (medium-rare), 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Remove the beef to a carving board and let it rest for 20 minutes before carving.
Pour off some of the pan drippings and place pan on stove top over medium-high heat.
Add the white wine and bring to a simmer, scraping the bits on the bottom of the pan. Reduce the wine by half. Whisk in the flour, then add the broth and continue to cook, whisking until sauce thickens into a gravy, about 10 minutes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

DenFromNM wrote:
now that sounds pretty darn good. That's what you call a great X-mas dinner!!!!
Thanks..It is delicious....Love it...Thats the main course..I also make a few sides and my infamous antipasta before all the food is brought out...a nice creamed spinach home made and some kind of potato because whats better then meat and potatoes right?....:bI'm gonna try out a new potato recipe this year and lets see how it goes..I will post what i decide...If anyone has any suggestions it would be great also...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

argabright wrote:
Sounds AMAZING, Jack. You're making me hungry, BIG TIME!

I might actually try this one...

Thanks!

David
hahaahahaha.....Dave try it...its delicious...trust me...My family expects it every year and I order it a few days after thanks giving so I have that month of dry age. Just get ready for family and friends to expect it every year..:b
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,243 Posts
imported post

Now that is something I can sink my teeth into. Sounds yummy for my tummy.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,730 Posts
imported post

Jack, that's one of my all time favorite dishes, the more horseradish the better. I roast a head or 2 of garlic, allow it to cool, peel and drop it into a blended with the horsey and thyme, a few spins then I coat the entire roast with it, allow it to sit 24-48 hours B4 placing into oven. I use red vino over white.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
imported post

Jack -- your recipe sounds fantastic, and I have always loved an aged prime rib. All is well there for me except for the rosemary, that herb makes me break out in little red bumps, so that would have to be omitted should I undertake this fixin'.

But, can I ask you a few "dumb" questions ---and please excuse my ignorance here: I realize that the aging of the beef is critical to the end result.

Who does this aging? The butcher? You?

Just what is a "dry age?" How is this process done?

I have heard of aging beef in a 45° refrigerated temperature, hanging on a rack of some sort. Is this "dry age?'

Can I dry age in my own refrigerator?

After spreading the mixture over the beef, do you let it sit, covered in the refrigerator --or just covered on the counter-- for a spell as sportscerterisnext does?

Thanks very much for any insight into this. Obviously, I need to learn more about preparation of these things . . .

I love the recipes that you post, and please keep us all informed.

Many regards . . .
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,243 Posts
imported post

ChaunceyJack wrote:
Who does this aging? The butcher? You?

Just what is a "dry age?" How is this process done?

I have heard of aging beef in a 45° refrigerated temperature, hanging on a rack of some sort. Is this "dry age?'

Can I dry age in my own refrigerator?
You can dry age at home:

Be sure to follow each step carefully, for safety's sake.1. Only the top grades of beef can be dry aged successfully. Use USDA Prime or USDA Choice - Yield Grade 1 or 2 (the highest quality of Choice) only. These have a thick layer of fat on the outside to protect the meat from spoiling during the aging process.
2. Buy a whole rib-eye or loin strip. [You cannot age individual steaks.] Unwrap it, rinse it well with cold water, and allow it to drain; then pat it very dry with paper towels.
3. Wrap the meat in immaculately clean, large, plain white cotton dish towels and place it on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator - which is the coldest spot.
4. Change the towels each day, replacing the moisture-soiled towels with fresh. Continue to change towels as needed for 10 days, to 2 weeks. (See Step #7 for cleaning towels.)
5. After the desired aging time, you're ready to cut off steaks from each end, trim as desired, and allow the rest to continue to age in the refrigerator.
6. If, after 21 days, you have not eaten all the meat, cut the remaining piece into steaks, wrap each steak in freezer-proof, heavy-duty plastic wrap, and freeze. The steaks will keep for several months in the freezer.
7. To clean the towels for re-use, soak the soiled towels, immediately upon removing them from the meat, in cold water overnight. Next, soak them in cold, salted water for 2-3 hours to remove any blood stains. Then launder as usual. [In olden days, butchers used to cover sides of beef with cotton "shrouds" during the aging process - this is essentially the same thing.]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
imported post

Well here is my update...The roast came out amazing as usual...I tweaked the recipe a little bit...I also used Red Vino instead of White. I also did not use rosemary or thyme just Horseradish, garlic salt and pepper and let it marinade over night covered(tented foil). ChaunceyJack my butcher does the dry aging for me. I order the roast the day after thanksgiving and it dry ages until a day before Xmas. He also trims it for me and cuts the bone off but ties the bone to the meat...that's where a lot of the flavor is. So everyone can actually use herbs they like and even use more horseradish. Everyone should try this recipe its amazing...I was suppose to take a pic of the roast but totally forgot before it was torn up...lol...everyone loved it and it was a big hit...This is my 4th year doing it and will continue to do so...
Hey CJ, TK, BOB and ChaunceyJack...I have left overs...You guys coming...lol...:b:b...I agree with ya TK...I love to eat...:lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,836 Posts
imported post

Jackprime1 wrote:
Well here is my update...The roast came out amazing as usual...I tweaked the recipe a little bit...I also used Red Vino instead of White. I also did not use rosemary or thyme just Horseradish, garlic salt and pepper and let it marinade over night covered(tented foil). ChaunceyJack my butcher does the dry aging for me. I order the roast the day after thanksgiving and it dry ages until a day before Xmas. He also trims it for me and cuts the bone off but ties the bone to the meat...that's where a lot of the flavor is. So everyone can actually use herbs they like and even use more horseradish. Everyone should try this recipe its amazing...I was suppose to take a pic of the roast but totally forgot before it was torn up...lol...everyone loved it and it was a big hit...This is my 4th year doing it and will continue to do so...
Hey CJ, TK, BOB and ChaunceyJack...I have left overs...You guys coming...lol...:b:b...I agree with ya TK...I love to eat...:lol
I am going to ask Theresa if she will drive me to the airport, :lol!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
imported post

Bob wrote:
Jackprime1 wrote:
Well here is my update...The roast came out amazing as usual...I tweaked the recipe a little bit...I also used Red Vino instead of White. I also did not use rosemary or thyme just Horseradish, garlic salt and pepper and let it marinade over night covered(tented foil). ChaunceyJack my butcher does the dry aging for me. I order the roast the day after thanksgiving and it dry ages until a day before Xmas. He also trims it for me and cuts the bone off but ties the bone to the meat...that's where a lot of the flavor is. So everyone can actually use herbs they like and even use more horseradish. Everyone should try this recipe its amazing...I was suppose to take a pic of the roast but totally forgot before it was torn up...lol...everyone loved it and it was a big hit...This is my 4th year doing it and will continue to do so...
Hey CJ, TK, BOB and ChaunceyJack...I have left overs...You guys coming...lol...:b:b...I agree with ya TK...I love to eat...:lol
I am going to ask Theresa if she will drive me to the airport, :lol!
Sounds great bob...I will make sure its nice and warm for ya...:b
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,836 Posts
imported post

Jackprime1 wrote:
Bob wrote:
Jackprime1 wrote:
Well here is my update...The roast came out amazing as usual...I tweaked the recipe a little bit...I also used Red Vino instead of White. I also did not use rosemary or thyme just Horseradish, garlic salt and pepper and let it marinade over night covered(tented foil). ChaunceyJack my butcher does the dry aging for me. I order the roast the day after thanksgiving and it dry ages until a day before Xmas. He also trims it for me and cuts the bone off but ties the bone to the meat...that's where a lot of the flavor is. So everyone can actually use herbs they like and even use more horseradish. Everyone should try this recipe its amazing...I was suppose to take a pic of the roast but totally forgot before it was torn up...lol...everyone loved it and it was a big hit...This is my 4th year doing it and will continue to do so...
Hey CJ, TK, BOB and ChaunceyJack...I have left overs...You guys coming...lol...:b:b...I agree with ya TK...I love to eat...:lol
I am going to ask Theresa if she will drive me to the airport, :lol!
Sounds great bob...I will make sure its nice and warm for ya...:b
Thanks Jack, you are the best! But. ....I will take a rain check:)! ....Bob
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,243 Posts
imported post

Jack;

I live close enough to stop by for leftovers. LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
imported post

Bob wrote:
Jackprime1 wrote:
Bob wrote:
Jackprime1 wrote:
Well here is my update...The roast came out amazing as usual...I tweaked the recipe a little bit...I also used Red Vino instead of White. I also did not use rosemary or thyme just Horseradish, garlic salt and pepper and let it marinade over night covered(tented foil). ChaunceyJack my butcher does the dry aging for me. I order the roast the day after thanksgiving and it dry ages until a day before Xmas. He also trims it for me and cuts the bone off but ties the bone to the meat...that's where a lot of the flavor is. So everyone can actually use herbs they like and even use more horseradish. Everyone should try this recipe its amazing...I was suppose to take a pic of the roast but totally forgot before it was torn up...lol...everyone loved it and it was a big hit...This is my 4th year doing it and will continue to do so...
Hey CJ, TK, BOB and ChaunceyJack...I have left overs...You guys coming...lol...:b:b...I agree with ya TK...I love to eat...:lol
I am going to ask Theresa if she will drive me to the airport, :lol!
Sounds great bob...I will make sure its nice and warm for ya...:b
Thanks Jack, you are the best! But. ....I will take a rain check:)! ....Bob
lol....Let me know if you decide to try the recipe...its awesome....
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top