Watch Freeks banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I thought people might like checking this company out - http://www.richardmille.com/us/home.php

I am going to feature 2 of their watches. They are all skeleton in one way or another and use the TOP TOP TOP movement technology available. Very futuristic and cutting edge designs at a very high cost.

The Model below is the RM 008 Tourbillon Split Seconds Chronograph Wristwatch - Model RM008-V2-WG

Product Details

Item number: RM 008-V2 WG
Brand: Richard Mille
Style Number: RM008-V2-WG
Also Called: RM008, RM008 V2, RM 008 V2
Series: RM 008 Tourbillon Split Seconds Chronograph
Style: Mens
Case: 18k White Gold
Dial Color: Transparent sapphire crystal, glareproof
Watch Bracelet / Strap: Leather - Black
Watch Clasp: Deployant, Hidden Folding
Movement: Manual Wind
Engine: Richard Mille Caliber RM 008-V2 (21,600 vph, 37 jewels, KIF Elastor shocks, Glucydur, Elinvar)

Functions: Hours, Minutes, Chronograph, Split Seconds, 30-minute counter, power reserve indicator, torque indicator, function indicator, Tourbillon

Watch Chronograph: The user can start or stop the chronograph function via the pusher located on the lower left at 8. The hands are reset by pressing another pusher located on the upper left at 10. One of the new characteristics developed for the RM 008-V2 is the almost complete elimination of initial jumping in the chronograph seconds hand. A great number of studies led to the design and manufacture of gear wheels and levers in titanium, thus reducing inertia. Moreover, the development of a new generation of split seconds components meant that energy consumption could be lowered by approximately 50% by reducing friction on the spindle, as well as eliminating the effect of jumping when stopping, thanks in particular to research that focused on the working of the split seconds arms. Simply by pressing the pusher on the right (at 4), the user can stop the split seconds hand in order to read an intermediate time while the chronograph is engaged. Pressing the pusher again allows the split seconds hand to rejoin the chronograph hand.

Crystal: Sapphire Crystal - glareproofed both sides (1.2mm thick)
Length: 48.0 mm
Case Width: 39.0 mm
Case Thickness: 15.05 mm
Caseback: Transparent Sapphire Crystal Exhibition Back, Glareproofed both sides
Bezel Material: 18k White Gold
Bezel Function: Fixed
Water Resistance: 50m / 165ft (suitable for showering; not usually suitable for swimming; unsuitable for diving)
Crown: 18k White Gold
Power Reserve: 60-hour power reserve
Additional Info: The torque indicator supplies information about the tension of the mainspring, and allows the optimization of the chronometric functioning of the movement.

Anglage and polishing by hand; locking sections hand polished; Sapphire blasted milled sections; Lapped and polished contact points; Burnished pivots; Sapphire blasted surfaces.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
imported post

This one is almost 20mm THICK and 50mm wide - Richard Mille RM 025 Tourbillon Chronograph Divers

Info from http://www.luxist.com/2008/12/19/richard-mille-rm-025-tourbillon-chronograph-divers-watch/

Popular ultra high-end watch maker Richard Mille tackles the seas instead of the track with the new RM 025 Tourbillon Chronograph Diver's watch. With impeccable engineering prowess, the RM 025 movement-based watch is almost too good to be submerged underwater although it satisfies every diving watch requirement with an extremely sturdy rotating bezel and 300 meter water resistant case that involves a complex case sealing process using hand tightened torque screws. Chronograph pushers on the left of the case are gasket sealed, and the crown, instead of being pulled out to operate, features a central push bottom to switch between its three functions; "H" (to adjust the hands), "N' (neutral time display mode), and "W" (to use the crown for winding).

Despite its intriguing technical design and large 50mm width, the watch's main draw are the mechanical features inside. Richard Mille has been able to combine a titanium column wheel based chronograph with a tourbillon. The specially designed barrel offers 70 hours of power reserve (with a power reserve indicator) in a single main spring barrel unit. Precision enhancing additions such a variable inertia balance wheel, torque indicator dial, and fast rotating main spring barrel provide a vastly increased level of precision and energy use efficiency over similar models - in addition to allowing for greater involvement and understanding of the movement operation by the wearer.

Case construction is a customizable mix of 18k red gold, white gold, and titanium. The Richard Mille designed rubber strap features a secure locking deployment for wearing comfort and security. As is the case in all Richard Mille watches, the RM 025 Tourbillon Chronograph Diver has no specific dial plate. Subdials and hour indexes are reverse applied to the sapphire crystal allowing a direct view into the movement. The Tourbillon Chronograph Diver is a remarkable little machine, best suited for the dedicated horological enthusiast who is able to appreciate its many unparalleled features and technical prowess. Price will easily exceed $100,000 (by a lot).

·
Registered
117 Posts
imported post

Again, another very high end watch that is very neat, but also very hard to read to me. I imagine that the buyer of these watches has people they hire who tell them the time so they never actually have to look at their watches, because if they did they would not be able to read the watch anyway.

The Tourbillon is neat

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
imported post

I like this brand a lot. I first became familiar with them when I saw Felipe Massa sporting one after an F1 race . . .

http://www.luxist.com/2006/08/29/richard-mille-rm005-felipe-massa-titanium/

I will be the first to admit, that Function over Form is my motto. I like these timepiece because they are so far from tradition! The movements are absolutely spectacular, and the looks are not for everyone (neither is the price).

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
imported post

The man makes incredible timepieces! I only wish that they were attainable for me.
It's funny that you posted this James. I was checking these out yesterday while at work.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

You can thank Rick (Current) - he has given me some good heads up on way way high end brands like this one. I really enjoyed learning about them and reading about how they make these wild watches.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.