Watch Freeks banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have decided to match these two watches because they offer very similar spec, have very similar dimensions, and either could be considered the only watch you need. You see, they would both look great as a desk diver, for formal wear, on a sports field, or even by the pool.

DIMENSIONS
RL - Case 40, Lug width 20, Lug to Lug 46, Depth 13mm, weight 141 grams
G2 - Case 40, Lug width 20, Lug to Lug 47, Depth 12mm, weight 146 grams

Strangely enough the RL wears a little larger

BRAND PERCEPTION - Both could be classed as a micro brand, however the RL has gained in popularity amongst WIS's in the last year or so.
RL - 8
G2 - 7

CASE & FINISH - Both are very well finished, with the RL having a combination of horizontal and circular brushing as well as a few polished edges. The case back on the RL has a 3d anchor pattern. The G2 is polished on the sides, with some light brushing on the top. The case back is of the exhibition type. I just love the slightly unusual shape of the case, with a little lump on the side, similar to the PP Nautilus.
RL - 8
G2 - 9

DIAL & LUME - This is a strength for both watches, as both exhume class. The RL has a blue fume dial, and does not have a date. The graphics are simple, bot the font is excellent. The applied indices are filled with BGW 9 that will shine most of the night. The dial on the G2 has guilt surrounded hands and indices. The date window also has a guilt surround, and the indices are filled with C3. Whilst the lume isn't as good as the RL, it's quite respectable.
RL - 9
G2 - 8

CRYSTAL - Both have an AR coated sapphire. The crystal on the RL is slightly domed, whilst the G2 is boxed domed. Both are superb
RL -9
G2 - 9

BEZEL - Both are 120 click, with the RL having a slightly better feel. The insert in the G2 is unusually epoxy resin, whilst the RL is sapphire. The G2's bezel is a dark green, but so dark it almost looks black. The RL's bezel is lumed, but is very fractionally misaligned to the left (the width of a cigarette paper). I consider the bezel on both of these watches to be excellent.
RL - 9
G2 - 8

MOVEMENT & CROWN - The RL is running the Miyota 9039, which is the 9015 but without the date. It's presently running about +3 spd with a beat error of 0.0. The Geckota has one of my favourite movements, the PT 5000, which is an ETA 2824 clone. It runs at 0 spd, with a beat error of 0.0. A truly amazing movement, which is also spot on even before it's full wound. The crown on the G2 is silky smooth and has the rather eye catching signed gold tip. The RL crown is very easy to grip, and is signed, however is a tad gritty, and lacks the finesse of the G2.
RL - 7
G2 - 9

WATER RESISTANT - Nice and easy, both are 200 WR, and neither have an ISO rating
RL - 8
G2 - 8

BRACELET & CLASP - Both are excellent. The RL has an eye catching 3 link design, with each link only being half size. Along with the 6 micro adjustments on the well made clasp, this makes it easy to achieve a comfortable fit. The beads of rice bracelet on the Geckota is a bit special, and has screw links, opposed to the pin and collar system on the RL. It's amongst the most comfortable of bracelets I have ever worn. Whilst the clasp only has 3 micro adjustments, finding a comfortable fit is a piece of cake. Both watches have solid end links, and their clasps are milled. Unfortunately the RL's end centre link is of the male variety, which means it doesn't hang as well as it could. This has been changed on the latest version, but to the cost of the quick release pins.
RL - 8
G2 - 9

VALUE FOR MONEY - I paid around £180 for both. However, I bought the G2 new but without the box, and the RL used, but almost mint. Similarly, the prices are about the same if purchased direct. The RL is presently $389 + postage and duty, and the G2 £299 with the PT5000 movement. The G2 is also available with the Sellita movement, but for an additional £150.
RL - 8
G2 - 8

THE WOW FACTOR - Well, this is back to the dials again I suppose. They both ooze class, and both look terrific.
RL - 8
G2 - 8

I was aware before starting this head to head the decision could go either way, as these are two of my favourite watches at present, and two I consider are keepers. The G2 just pips this head to head 83 to 82, but I can strongly recommend either. If both had the same movement, the RL would have just stolen the trophy. If asked which one I would prefer, I would have to flip a coin !!

Thanks for spending the time to read this review

·
Super Moderator
10,896 Posts
Wow, the RL more than held it's own Wiggles, and basically by all counts
tied the Geckota it looks like😮:D No matter what the category, it either
barely lost, tied, or even won. Which is pretty spectacular considering how
nice we know this Geckota to be, and Geckotas in general. (y)(y)

What is just great I think, is that years ago we knew certain watches, or
watch brands made quality watches. But now, there are so many from
all over the globe, and for terrific prices that 'wow' us. Seriously, every
year seems like the beginning of a new golden era for the hobby sir !
Thank YOU for taking the time to do this review !!! 😉

·
Registered
670 Posts
This is my first time hearing of LeGrand. So many brands! Thanks for the review

Reactions: rh747m

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I like the watch battle format, glad you’ve resurrected it. One favor to ask, more photos! Case back, wrist shots and perhaps bracelet/strap details would really put it over the top. Easy for me to say, yes.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
The only thing I hate was the wait for the pics. I've seen the G but couldn't remember it, love that bracelet. That was a great comparison, and a good pair to pit against each other. The movement was is a clincher, the action and precision sounds excellent. The larger baton indices, and the style of bezel on the G-2 are keepers, they each have a great hand set. The gold looses me, and the beautifully polished beads of rice, I would probably have to go with the Ocean Farer because of its subtle presentation. I do like them both, but for a dive watch I think I'd enjoy the RL more.
Well done Wiggles, thank You!

Is that a light box, you shoot in? Was that You who posted an instructional thread to build one? It's been a busy while.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Good review MW!!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only thing I hate was the wait for the pics. I've seen the G but couldn't remember it, love that bracelet. That was a great comparison, and a good pair to pit against each other. The movement was is a clincher, the action and precision sounds excellent. The larger baton indices, and the style of bezel on the G-2 are keepers, they each have a great hand set. The gold looses me, and the beautifully polished beads of rice, I would probably have to go with the Ocean Farer because of its subtle presentation. I do like them both, but for a dive watch I think I'd enjoy the RL more.
Well done Wiggles, thank You!

Is that a light box, you shoot in? Was that You who posted an instructional thread to build one? It's been a busy while.
No, I just do everything from my office

·
Super Moderator
10,896 Posts
Mrs. Wiggles these videos are the furthest thing from poor. In fact they
are perfect ! 😀🥇Actually take the excellent written reviews, and put
them in a whole new light. It's almost like seeing the movie, or tv show
of your review. Honestly love it, and cannot thank you enough for sharing
them with us.

Another (y)(y) !! ..Thank you MW !!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts