Watch Freeks banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
And now you are my hero! :D I have a Pi 4 as well (4 GB) but are patiently waiting for a complete and tested image to appear on ArcadePunks. I will stick it into my Roshambo Retro Gaming case (SNES lookalike) but that probably need some modification as it now houses a Pi 3B+

I've been using Lakka ( https://www.lakka.tv/ ). You have to download an Alpha version and there are bugs. I'm waiting for RetroPie ( https://retropie.org.uk/ ) to catch up. That's my go to. I like their interface. The Lakka interface is very similar to the PlayStation OS, which I have and I like, but it is far less intuitive than RetroPie.

Once it is all said and done, my brother wants me to make him one. I told him I'll set up his SD Card and mail it to him. he can buy the Pi board and a case and put it all together. That's the easy part!

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The quest continues. In the 70s, the Digital Equipment Corporation launched the PDP-11 mini computer (mini as in not a main frame). It became one of the most successful business systems of that era. And lo and behold, someone made a scaled down version (6/10) of that, powered by a Raspberry Pi. It comes in a kit and I put myself on a waiting list, he makes a new batch every month. The OS that ran the PDP-11 has been ported to a Linux version and original program images can be loaded so it becomes fully functional. The only thing that is missing is a terminal because that is needed to operate it the way it was meant to. It will become a display item (lots of blinking lights :)).

·
Super Moderator
11,421 Posts
I'm pretending I understood everything you said Frans. 😁 But I love
those blinking lights, and even crazy cool colors !😎😀 Even the
shape of the computer puts a smile on the face, and reminds you
of how computers, along with just machines used to look years
ago. It's terrific, and I don't even know anything about all of this
honestly. 😄

Kind of reminds me of watching an old tv show, or movie where
they had all these neat looking machines, computers, along with
those blinking lights in the background. Love it sir ! THX a lot for
sharing !!!

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
With a PC you are the only user working on it at a given time. With systems like the PDP-11, multiple users can use multiple programs at the same time. To make that work, each user operated a computer terminal, a dumb device that allowed you to login and use programs running on the main computer. Connections to that main computer used coax, serial or proprietary cabling. To put things into perspective, the first PDP-11 had 4K internal memory. When I started work my company still operated an IBM mainframe computer (390 I think) and we used terminals as well, PC's were just invented and only sued for word-processing. Below the PDP-11 replica with DEC terminal (not a PC):

·
Super Moderator
11,421 Posts
It's incredible how far things have come in just a few decades Frans.
Just the look, as well as size of things years back was amazing, and
not something you even noticed right?! 😵But now, you look back,
and can actually see the time it came from. 🤖It's fantastic just to
learn about sir, and honestly appreciate Frans. There seriously is
such an awesome aura around these machines, and just a real
charm if you ask me. :):cool:

Cool stuff Frans. Thanks a lot !!!

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
It's incredible how far things have come in just a few decades Frans.
Just the look, as well as size of things years back was amazing, and
not something you even noticed right?! 😵But now, you look back,
and can actually see the time it came from. 🤖It's fantastic just to
learn about sir, and honestly appreciate Frans. There seriously is
such an awesome aura around these machines, and just a real
charm if you ask me. :):cool:

Cool stuff Frans. Thanks a lot !!!
It goes well with my Alsta :D. same year. These things make me happy Tom. I know I'm a bit of a 'strange potato' as we say over here, an almost 61 year old teenager but I want to live my life as I chose. When I'm in the office I'm almost like all my other colleagues (apart from owning > 30 watches :)).

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

Reactions: Reflex

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

·
Super Moderator
11,421 Posts
It goes well with my Alsta :D. same year. These things make me happy Tom. I know I'm a bit of a 'strange potato' as we say over here, an almost 61 year old teenager but I want to live my life as I chose. When I'm in the office I'm almost like all my other colleagues (apart from owning > 30 watches :)).
:);) In no way whatsoever does it make you strange sir. Honestly
is phenomenal to me, and would be strange if you DIDN’T enjoy all
of this Frans. (y):cool: It’s just like pointed out with your Alsta, which
takes you back. It’s nostalgic, but also historic, and is part of what
makes you you, or us us !

What’s great too, is we all have the freedom to enjoy what we want
to. And have fun with what makes us happy sir. ..What’s strange is
living life, and not appreciating, and enjoying.

So hope you stay who you are Frans, and keep on enjoying !!! :D

P.S. Love the lava lamp by the way. 😎 It actually looks like lava.
Looks like this amazing orange, or yellow from here sir !

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
My son in law is co-owner of a digital print shop and as it is my birthday today he surprised me with this: a reprinted copy (372 pages) of the PDP-11/70 instruction manual. (The PDF can be freely downloaded). My daughter told him I ordered the kit although he hadn't a clue what it actually represents. I cannot tell you what a great gift this is to me. And he told me this is just a first try, he will make another in a ring binder.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
My son in law is co-owner of a digital print shop and as it is my birthday today he surprised me with this: a reprinted copy (372 pages) of the PDP-11/70 instruction manual. (The PDF can be freely downloaded). My daughter told him I ordered the kit although he hadn't a clue what it actually represents. I cannot tell you what a great gift this is to me. And he told me this is just a first try, he will make another in a ring binder.
Happy Birthday, Frans!! May this year provide you with many days of health, happiness, love, and awesome retro gear!

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Happy Birthday, Frans!! May this year provide you with many days of health, happiness, love, and awesome retro gear!
Thanks mate! Before I know it, my whole house will be turned into an ultimate man-cave :D If you start looking there's no end to the stuff you can buy.

Reactions: FunkDaLicious

·
Super Moderator
11,421 Posts
Hey, wow Happy Birthday Frans !!! :D 🎂:) (y)(y)

Well that is just amazing Frans, and boy oh boy, does your
daughter, and son in law know you well?! Or what?! It’s so
nice, and so thoughtful it’s unbelievable actually. 🥇🏆 😉
I mean when you think about it, it’s easy to pick out a card,
or some item for a present. However, it means so much to
put so much thought into something like this right?! So in
this case, it really IS the thought that counts !

Awesome Frans! Happy Birthday there to you !!! 😃😉
P.S. Mega cool Esso guy too by the way ! ..ENJOY !

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Esso Max isn't in my possession, it is an example of the things you can buy (replicas).

·
Super Moderator
11,421 Posts
Esso Max isn't in my possession, it is an example of the things you can buy (replicas).
Got it Frans, and hey 2021 is still so young, you just might
be able to get him sir, and add him to the collection ! :D :)

It’s honestly just neat seeing ‘Esso’ by the way sir. 😎 (y)

Here in the U.S. it’s Exxon, and I swear I only found out
about it being called Esso as well by watching hockey
games broadcast from Canada. Cool stuff sir. Thank you !!!

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Got it Frans, and hey 2021 is still so young, you just might
be able to get him sir, and add him to the collection ! :D :)

It’s honestly just neat seeing ‘Esso’ by the way sir. 😎 (y)

Here in the U.S. it’s Exxon, and I swear I only found out
about it being called Esso as well by watching hockey
games broadcast from Canada. Cool stuff sir. Thank you !!!
Yes, Esso = S O = Standard Oil.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Belated best birthday wishes to you, you crazy geek. Trust you enjoyed your day as circumstances would have allowed.

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Belated best birthday wishes to you, you crazy geek. Trust you enjoyed your day as circumstances would have allowed.
"You crazy geek". A badge of honour! :D I keep convincing myself this keeps me young and special. (Yeah, he's 'special' allright :)).

Reactions: Reflex

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Happy belated Frans. 🎂 You received some excellent toys I see... I have the blue version of your lava lamp.

In my garage I wanted a large Esso sign but only have the Esso boy decal... he used to have a yellow head. :D

21 - 40 of 45 Posts